Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #16
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Anyone growing up in the UK or Australia(not sure about the US) during the late 1980's will remember the hilarious narration of a troubled teenager by the name of Adrian Mole.
I was delighted to find out the other day that Sue Townsend has continued to chronicle the events of Adrian's life and last month released the 6th book.
Unfortunately I have found that only the 2 most recent books are available at UK(Wh smiths) and Australian(ReadWithoutPaper) ebook stores. Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction(2004) and Adrian Mole : The Prostate Years(2009).
I am currently reading the 2004 ebook where Adrian is 34 and struggling as an educated but quite neurotic guy living a lower class existence in London and its a crackup. Well worth reading.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #17
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by A4- View Post
I second that emotion! When does the 4th book come out?

Also anything by Laurie Notari, especially The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:45 PM   #18
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series are pretty funny; though not in the same genre as Adams or Pratchett.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #19
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
I enjoyed Funny in Farsi by Firoozeh Dumas. It's a non-fiction memoir of growing up in Iran and in the United States. Ms. Dumas has an excellent sense of humor, and I literally laughed out loud numerous times while I was reading this book. She also has a second book entitled Laughing Without an Accent, which is also humorous, but I liked the first one much better.

Both books are available electronically.

Enjoy!

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:05 PM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnoto View Post
Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series are pretty funny; though not in the same genre as Adams or Pratchett.
Earlier this year I read her Plum Spooky, which opens with a friend leaving an uninvited monkey on Stephanie's doorstep for her to care for while the friend is away. The monkey's main mode of communication consists of giving the finger to whoever is most displeasing to it at the moment. This woman has an outrageous sense of humor.

Evanovich.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:40 PM   #21
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by A4- View Post
YES YES YES... I loved it (and bought the rest of them) Simon is an MR member (spacejock) and offers the first book for free on his website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is one sad thread. yet again, the ultimate series has not been mentioned.
If you want some real good laughs, go for the entire Discworld series by Terry Pratchett.
Oh oh... shall I finally confess and say I just never could get into the books? **running away as she ducks from big sticks and rocks***

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
I enjoyed Funny in Farsi by Firoozeh Dumas. It's a non-fiction memoir of growing up in Iran and in the United States. Ms. Dumas has an excellent sense of humor, and I literally laughed out loud numerous times while I was reading this book. She also has a second book entitled Laughing Without an Accent, which is also humorous, but I liked the first one much better.
I laughed while reading about the hilarious situations and family members also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnoto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Earlier this year I read her Plum Spooky, which opens with a friend leaving an uninvited monkey on Stephanie's doorstep for her to care for while the friend is away. The monkey's main mode of communication consists of giving the finger to whoever is most displeasing to it at the moment. This woman has an outrageous sense of humor.

Evanovich.
I buy these in dead tree format as I had started to collect them before I received my Reader. I agree with you both, a very outrageous, down to earth, sense of humor!
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:22 AM   #22
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
... This woman has an outrageous sense of humor.

Evanovich.
I first listened to her series on audiobook. My family kept asking, "What are you laughing at?" Whenever I need cheering up, I put them back on my MP3 player.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:02 AM   #23
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I have a couple of pretty hilarious titles running right now (www.bewrite.net) that should give you a giggle over the holidays -- *Bottom of the List* by Steve Attridge reminds me of Tom Sharpe at his best: *Earthdoom* by John Grant and Dave Langford is a spoof apocalyptic tale. Until we offer a full range of digital formats early next year, I'd be happy to send you the PDF versions free of charge. Just drop me a line: ntmarrATbewrite.net (use the @ sign). Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:35 AM   #24
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Robertson Davies makes me laugh especially "The Rebel Angels".
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:48 AM   #25
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
*Earthdoom* by John Grant and Dave Langford is a spoof apocalyptic tale. Until we offer a full range of digital formats early next year, I'd be happy to send you the PDF versions free of charge. Just drop me a line: ntmarrATbewrite.net (use the @ sign). Cheers. Neil
Wow! Dave Langford of 'Ansible' fame; excellent - he's a hero of mine, and I'll definitely be getting this when it's CyBook friendly - thanks for the heads-up Neil!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Robertson Davies makes me laugh especially "The Rebel Angels".
Yes, the whole of human life can be found in Davies' novels. The one that made me laugh the most was the tale of the amateur theatrical production in 'Tempest Tost'. I was reading it during a night-shift at work, and I had a laughing-fit I couldn't stop for ages.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:05 AM   #26
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Yes, the whole of human life can be found in Davies' novels. The one that made me laugh the most was the tale of the amateur theatrical production in 'Tempest Tost'. I was reading it during a night-shift at work, and I had a laughing-fit I couldn't stop for ages.
I've just finished 'A mixture of frailties' last night, a particular favourite, but I like the whole 'Salterton' trilogy - it's probably also the most directly humourous of his trilogies, but I always enjoy that undercurrent of humour that runs through all of his writing. Have you read the essay collection 'A merry heart'?

David Lodge is a great humourous writer. I would especially recommend 'Nice Work' and 'Therapy' - both unfortunately not in ebook form though.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:21 AM   #27
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I've just finished 'A mixture of frailties' last night, a particular favourite, but I like the whole 'Salterton' trilogy - it's probably also the most directly humourous of his trilogies, but I always enjoy that undercurrent of humour that runs through all of his writing. Have you read the essay collection 'A merry heart'?
No, I haven't got 'A Merry Heart' - I will have to fill the gaps in my Davies collection in the New Year.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:50 AM   #28
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
No, I haven't got 'A Merry Heart' - I will have to fill the gaps in my Davies collection in the New Year.
If you don't already have it, there's also this one:
http://www.amazon.com/High-Spirits-C...sr=8-1-catcorr
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:01 AM   #29
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I am just re-reading Steven Brust's The Phoenix Guards which I think is a very funny book.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:14 AM   #30
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Indecent Exposure, and others, by Tom Sharpe.

Don't read him in public though as he will frequently have you laughing out loud unexpectedly.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, funny, humor