Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #16
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Even without my USB port going into sleep mode I have to let it charge for an extra three or four hours after it thinks it is fully charged to achieve a 'full' charge that does not noticeably drain (lose one battery charge bar) the next day. Now your issue might also be abnormal drain but make sure you're getting a proper charge (hours beyond what the device reports).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #17
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Even without my USB port going into sleep mode I have to let it charge for an extra three or four hours after it thinks it is fully charged to achieve a 'full' charge that does not noticeably drain (lose one battery charge bar) the next day. Now your issue might also be abnormal drain but make sure you're getting a proper charge (hours beyond what the device reports).
This is standard for LiOn and Lithium-polymer batteries... full charge, as reported, is actually around 80% and then the charge rate is reduced hence the several more hours for actual full charge...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #18
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
None of my three laptops work that way (HP, Gateway, and a Lenovo). When they report 100% charge they seem to be reasonably accurate, as I watch the "time remaining" while I use them. None of my cell phones ever worked that way either, at least not noticeably.

Seems like a firmware error designed into Sony e-readers, as both of my prior ones did the same thing in the same way (report full but need more time).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #19
Frabjous2001
Frabjous2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Digital Book Reader PRS-650
I CAREFULLY replaced my prs 650 battery from 99 using the instructions on youtube and the battery was quite good. But this wasn't the only problem that I had. The battery kept on draining and when it wasn't drained, it was always on. I finally took it apart again using the battery replacement instructions and cleaned all around the slider on switch. It is attached to a plastic slider inside the reader that is attached by the tiniest piece of plastic to a third slider. (An electronic version of a set of gears?) The e-reader then charges correctly and works. But I've had to do this twice now.
Frabjous2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #20
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
None of my three laptops work that way (HP, Gateway, and a Lenovo). When they report 100% charge they seem to be reasonably accurate, as I watch the "time remaining" while I use them. None of my cell phones ever worked that way either, at least not noticeably.

Seems like a firmware error designed into Sony e-readers, as both of my prior ones did the same thing in the same way (report full but need more time).
Hadn't noticed your reply until post after yours today... my comments are not anecdotal, they are from the specifications and standards of the manufacturers of Li-On/polymer batteries... try google something like "Li-On battery specifications" and you'll find precise data... essentially these batteries take a high current charge until 80-85% charged then drop back to a trickle charge... and that is the recommended way to charge them from the manufacturers of batteries and those who originally invented them...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #21
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
Things are even worse now. I charged it plugged into the wall and it was showing four (whatever the max is) bars. I then read about 100 pages over two or three days, so not much reading. The next time I picked it up it was showing 50% battery left. I read a few more pages, but again not many at all. When I picked it up 2 days later the batter was dead. So that's less than one week and I probably read less than 300 pages. I think I may as well buy a new e-reader as this is annoying.
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #22
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Lithium ion/lithium polymer batteries use a Constant Current - Constant Votlage charge regime.

For the first part of the charge, the charger supplies a variable voltage to hold a constant charge current. The charge current is typically 1 x the capacity. So a 650 mAhr battery whould be charged at 650 mA for this phase.

This continues until the voltage reaches the maximum for the pack. For a lithium polymer this is 4.3 volts per cell. So phones and readers are typically since cell batteries, so at 4.2 volts, the charger holds that voltage, and the charge current reduces as the battery charges.

BUT, if the system is set up to use a lower maximum voltage, you get longer live (charge cycles) out of the battery. So many cell phones (and I assume readers) use a maximum votlage of 3.8 - 4.0 volts.

When the charge switches from Constant Current to Constant Voltage, the battery is over 90% charged. The remaining 10% can take as long or longer than it took to reach 90%.

So some devices stop the charge at 90% and call that 100%. Others will allow the charge to continue to a full 100%.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #23
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
Now it lasts 24 hours on a charge with less than 30 pages read. Lol
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #24
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Backup all your books then soft reset your ereader. If that doesn't work, do a hard rest . Your problem is almost certainly an epub that is causing the battery drain.

If you don't know what I mean, search for soft reset and hard reset for Sony 650.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #25
konrad white
Enthusiast
konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS 950, Onyx M92, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura One
I also had a problem with suddenly discharging a battery but in 950. I made several soft reset and turned off the e-reader, then landed a few hours. So far I did not notice anything wrong.
konrad white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #26
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
BTW PRS+ can make the battery drain problem WORSE.

I am taking it off my 650 due to issues with the battery going dead in a matter of hours.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote