Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of two tier voting?
Yes 14 51.85%
No 13 48.15%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
The vote is so even so far! It is interesting that we seem to be so evenly split on different issues. It would be nice though if the winning option won by at least a few votes, but I'm just hoping one wins at all, even if just by one vote. Another tie would be crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
Getting all of this settled now - and not re-visiting it for a year - is smart, even if it feels beaten to death at the moment.
It has seemed hectic and contentious recently. My hope though is that we're "getting it all out of our system" for the new year. I think it will be worth having this week or two of debate after debate that is tiring, if it will make things feel settled and calm for the year to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I am with issybird on this one in that I'm just tired of the process.
All of this has seemed tiring recently. But there is a good reason for doing it all at once now - so that we don't have to at all for another year. I think this is the *last* club mechanics poll on the agenda until at least the end of next year. The only other item besides this that had been brought up previously but not decided yet and seems to need a ruling from Tom is not allowing a book to be in more than one poll in a six month period, which was a problem this year. And I don't think we need a poll to decide that. Tom can just look at what opinions people have given about it and make a ruling. After both of these are decided, we are free for a year.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #17
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Great Post Sun Surfer.

I agree. Figuring all of this out now will (hopefully) save us some grief later.

Last edited by Nyssa; 11-30-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Great Post Sun Surfer.

I agree. Figuring all of this out now will (hopefully) save us some grief later.
Or even better, vote against two tiered voting.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #19
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Or even better, vote against two tiered voting.
When I make a decision I will cast a vote.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #20
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I'm for two tier.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I'm for two tier.
You want the voting to take twice as long as it does now?
Old 11-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #22
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What if we had two polls running at the same time? First Choice and Second Choice?
Old 11-30-2011, 09:35 PM   #23
The Terminator
Retired

Both of them being hidden of course (And public so you can't vote one for one book twice)
Old 11-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #24
Nyssa
Series Addict

Question Question:

If we move to two tier voting, will there still automatically be a 2nd poll, even if there is a "significant" divide between 1st and 2nd place, or will the "run-off" only happen when the votes are just 2 or 3 points apart?
Old 11-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
If we move to two tier voting, will there still automatically be a 2nd poll, even if there is a "significant" divide between 1st and 2nd place, or will the "run-off" only happen when the votes are just 2 or 3 points apart?
If we end up with tiered, that's a very good way to do it. Do it only when 1st and 2nd are close enough.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #26
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You want the voting to take twice as long as it does now?
I want more participation in the book discussions, and I hope that the second vote will bring that--because everyone voting will presumably look at at least one of those books, and possibly both. Right now, people voting for something that didn't win may never have even glanced at the description of the winner.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I want more participation in the book discussions, and I hope that the second vote will bring that--because everyone voting will presumably look at at least one of those books, and possibly both. Right now, people voting for something that didn't win may never have even glanced at the description of the winner.
More participation in the discussion would be good. I know I'm guilty as well.

What do you think of Nyssa's idea of only a second vote if 1 & 2 are close enough?
Old 12-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #28
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
What if we had two polls running at the same time? First Choice and Second Choice?
That sounds interesting.

Quote:
Both of them being hidden of course (And public so you can't vote one for one book twice)
Could you expand on being both hidden and public?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #29
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^I think they meant that both would not show people the results until the polls had closed, but once closed we would see who voted for what.

I read the descriptions of all the books because I never really know when or where I'm going to uncover something I may want to read. Even when I nominate books I read all the descriptions. Someone might nominate something better after me.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #30
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
...Could you expand on being both hidden and public?
By hidden, we simply mean that who voted for what and how many votes each book received is not known until after the voting period ends. For example, look at the December vote. You see that 4 people voted for The Scarlet Letter, 7 for The Iliad, 13 for A Christmas Carol, etc. Those results were not visible until the voting ended. Moreover, by clicking on the numbers (ex: the "4" in the votes column for The Scarlet Letter), the screen is replaced by one that tells you who voted for what. That's the "public" aspect of the hidden but public that The Terminator was speaking of. Naturally, who voted for what is a mystery until after the poll closes.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote