Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Vote for the best book from this list (1901-1910)
Kim by Rudyard Kipling 6 10.00%
Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann 3 5.00%
The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 10 16.67%
The Wings of the Dove by Henry James 2 3.33%
The Virginian by Owen Wister 0 0%
The Call of the Wild by Jack London 4 6.67%
The Riddle of the Sands by Robert Erskine Childers 1 1.67%
The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame 5 8.33%
The Golden Bowl by Henry James 3 5.00%
Nostromo by Joseph Conrad 4 6.67%
The Jungle by Upton Sinclair 4 6.67%
The Psammead Trilogy by Edith Nesbit 2 3.33%
The Diaries of Adam and Eve by Mark Twain 0 0%
Before Adam by Jack London 1 1.67%
Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery 11 18.33%
The Getting of Wisdom by Henry Handel Richardson 1 1.67%
Where Angels Fear to Tread by Edward Morgan Forster 0 0%
Howards End by Edward Morgan Forster 3 5.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #16
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I've actually only read nine out of this list. I'm not sure how interested I would be in reading many of the others. Stories written for children don't really interest me at my stage of life, though I do have fond memories of The Wind in the Willows (I just would not select it as the best book of the decade). A few of the others I can't muster up much interest in even if the book might be the best of or the first in their genres when those genres just don't interest me (eg Westerns, Crime stories). Tougher call is those by renown authors that are about the neuroses of the wealthy and privileged. I just find it hard to care much about the characters in these sorts of book. Still with recommendations by Issybird and Sun Surfer, I may have to put The Golden Bowl and The Wings of the Dove some where on my long TBR list.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:10 PM   #17
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Can you imagine what the popular culture of the 20th Century of Western Civilization would have been without the Western? (And I suppose for some decades in Japan without the samurai movies.)

I believe that The Virginian by Owen Wister was the first example of the Western whose existence the public knew of.

Wikipedia says that

1) The Virginian "is widely regarded as being the first cowboy novel..." and

2) Wister was the "'father' of western fiction."

The staples of the Western are there!

And I believe that The Virginian was the origin of the phrase, "Smile when you say that"!

I find it interesting that The Virginian was published in 1902. Thus, the Western is a 20th Century invention about the 19th Century.

And in addition to all of that, I and many others enjoyed reading it very much. Wikipedia says that The Virginian "was reprinted fourteen times in eight months."
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #18
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
@GA Russell - Ummmm ..... are you saying that the US Western genre influenced contemporary authors of the day, nay the 20th Century?

Not being familiar with US (?) Western books (we don't have that genre endemic to Aus as far as I know) I'd find it curious if it influenced cultures that didn't have issues similar to those discussed. Are Western genre books typically about cowboys and Indians, and the land grab by the cowboys? (In Aus we call the land grabbers the 'squattocracy', because they just squatted on the land and claimed it for their own, irrespective of the fact that it was very likely never purchased either through the government or anyone else; and certainly was never negotiated for with the local Aboriginal tribes who were dispossessed as a result.)

That's how those old US 'western' cowboy movies come across. (The ones with John Wayne et al).

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 05-10-2015 at 06:54 PM. Reason: added: 'In Aus'
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:52 PM   #19
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've only currently read two books from the list, although I may read at least one more during the voting period.

I again ask myself what a vote is going to reveal, except to know that on a given date x number of people had read y book and voted for it. But the bulk of the voters may never have read that book, because there is likely to be few voters, if any, who have read all of the books.

So, I accept the impending result of the poll, but can't give it any due regard, or weight, as I for one can't claim views one way or the other on at least 16 of the 18 books on the list. (Having said that, I have seen the movie version of a further four of the books, but haven't read them - and therefore will not consider them.)

But, as others have said, I now have a grand reading list when I feel inclined to dip in.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:33 PM   #20
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
@GA Russell - Ummmm ..... are you saying that the US Western genre influenced contemporary authors of the day, nay the 20th Century?

Not being familiar with US (?) Western books (we don't have that genre endemic to Aus as far as I know) I'd find it curious if it influenced cultures that didn't have issues similar to those discussed. Are Western genre books typically about cowboys and Indians, and the land grab by the cowboys? (In Aus we call the land grabbers the 'squattocracy', because they just squatted on the land and claimed it for their own, irrespective of the fact that it was very likely never purchased either through the government or anyone else; and certainly was never negotiated for with the local Aboriginal tribes who were dispossessed as a result.)

That's how those old US 'western' cowboy movies come across. (The ones with John Wayne et al).

I would dispute the contention that The Virginian was in any way the first western novel. Actually western "dime" novels were very popular throughout the latter half of the 19th Century. It's then when much of the western mythology got started; like the idea of frequent gun fights (it's unlikely the quick draw duel ever happened anywhere). Yes, the Native American population was hardly depicted fairly and that would not change well into the second half of the 20th Century. The same could be said to be true for other ethnic minorities (eg blacks & Asians) who if they were acknowledged to exist at all it was as racist caricatures.

If western novels are still so popular, and apparently they are, it certainly does not match what has happened in film and television. Before maybe about the mid 1960s westerns were one of the most popular genres on television and very good (eg The Searchers) and drek films were a staple. Pretty much entirely gone now.
Advert
Old 05-10-2015, 07:42 PM   #21
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:

Lynx-Lynx, if you would like to discuss the US Western fiction, let me know and we can start a separate thread...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:48 PM   #22
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I would dispute the contention that The Virginian was in any way the first western novel. Actually western "dime" novels were very popular throughout the latter half of the 19th Century. It's then when much of the western mythology got started; like the idea of frequent gun fights (it's unlikely the quick draw duel ever happened anywhere). Yes, the Native American population was hardly depicted fairly and that would not change well into the second half of the 20th Century. The same could be said to be true for other ethnic minorities (eg blacks & Asians) who if they were acknowledged to exist at all it was as racist caricatures.

If western novels are still so popular, and apparently they are, it certainly does not match what has happened in film and television. Before maybe about the mid 1960s westerns were one of the most popular genres on television and very good (eg The Searchers) and drek films were a staple. Pretty much entirely gone now.
Hamlet, I meant to provide the Wikipedia link, but I forgot. So here it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Wister

If you disagree with the contentions that Wister was the father of the Western and that The Virginian was the first cowboy novel, please cite with links your examples!

(By the way, Roy Huggins, the creator of Maverick, claimed that Maverick was so successful in making the old-fashioned western look silly that it put an end to the westerns' domination of television.

That may be true, but here we are 15 years into the 21st Century, and there is a cable TV channel which shows nothing but westerns!)

Last edited by GA Russell; 05-10-2015 at 07:52 PM.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #23
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Hamlet, I meant to provide the Wikipedia link, but I forgot. So here it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Wister

If you disagree with the contentions that Wister was the father of the Western and that The Virginian was the first cowboy novel, please cite with links your examples!
Happy to attempt to oblige.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western...s.E2.80.931900

If you don't agree that's fine. You are much more familiar with the genre than I. What's maybe funny is that I first got my belief from the John Wayne film The Shootist.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:00 PM   #24
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

(By the way, Roy Huggins, the creator of Maverick, claimed that Maverick was so successful in making the old-fashioned western look silly that it put an end to the westerns' domination of television.

That may be true, but here we are 15 years into the 21st Century, and there is a cable TV channel which shows nothing but westerns!)
That's interesting. I sure recall Maverick (the old TV series). I don't think it ended the genre on TV though. Didn't series like Bonanza come after?

Paul if this is going beyond what you wanted for discussion feel free to edit, move, or delete at least my posts.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 05-10-2015 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Note to Paul
Old 05-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #25
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Lynx-Lynx, if you would like to discuss the US Western fiction, let me know and we can start a separate thread...
Ahh, no, but thank you for your offer.

I'm curious as to GA Russell's assertions, but that is for discussion in this thread.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:07 PM   #26
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

@Hamlet 53, I note that under your avatar you have the 'Kelly Gang History'. We had Ned Kelly here in Aus, an infamous bushranger ..... is that the history you mean?

Or, more likely are you referring to say, family history?
Old 05-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #27
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Since I nominated Anne of Green Gables, I guess I should talk about it a bit. It's a coming of age, a YA, a fitting in novel of the time. Because it takes place on a farm, it was easy for me to relate to. The rest of the themes--feeling abandoned, trying to find a place, making friends, and growing up make for a great story without the angst that I often see in YA novels today.

Anne is an orphan, which is, of course, the quintessential emptiness--and as such, it functions as the way for readers to nearly instantly relate to because most kids growing up feel outsiders even if they appear otherwise. I'm not sure how well it would read for a grown up, but the point is that it isn't written for grown ups. It very much talks to the younger set and specifically to girls, something that, given when it was written, makes it even more amazing to me. The series, and especially the first book, passes along valuable lessons but is still captivating, entertaining and accessible. Anne is easy to like and as such, you root for her the entire time. The book engages your emotions as well as your intellect (at least at a young age it does). What more can one ask for from a book? Even though the setting may be in a much earlier time, the themes surpass time and cultures because we all struggle to grow up and find our place. As the characters evolve and find success, the reader believes success is possible and even likely. There are trials and tribulations, but I was left with a sense of contentment and while I was more normally a reader of more far-fetched stories (Nancy Drew) Anne of Green Gables has more heart.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:30 PM   #28
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
@Hamlet 53, I note that under your avatar you have the 'Kelly Gang History'. We had Ned Kelly here in Aus, an infamous bushranger ..... is that the history you mean?

Or, more likely are you referring to say, family history?
Yes that Ned Kelly. . The full title is True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey. I'm up to Ned turning 15 and his assisting Harry Power as a highway man.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #29
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Every Canadian child reads Anne of Green Gables in school and it is one of the (few) books from my school curriculum that I really enjoyed. Despite having read none of the other books from the list of nominees, I am not inclined to attempt any others before the voting closes because Anne has my heart for this decade.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:13 AM   #30
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I have re-read Anne of GG several times and each time I remember why I love it so much. Despite really liking Sherlock Holmes, Hound of the Baskervilles is very good, it really doesn't have the repeated interest that Anne does. I am hoping in the next year or two my eldest daughter will be interested in it. So far she is devouring the Magic Tree House books and is about 1/2 way into the Chronicles of Narnia.

I have also read The Call of the Wild which is also worthy of this list but doesn't stand up to AoGG for me. The others I haven't read and doubt I will before the vote. Too many good books, not enough time. There are a couple other lists where I will try to catch up on a couple before voting but this one I am comfortable enough with my vote.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote