Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2009, 03:12 PM   #16
Ruka
I dream in turn-based.
Ruka has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ruka has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ruka has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-300
Okay, after a week of frustration with the auto-launching/auto-install partition, I sat here and figured out how to disable this read-only partition. I don't have the Sony software installed, as I use Calibre exclusively.

This does not require disabling a drive letter.

I'm using Vista Ultimate 64-Bit, and I own the PRS-300.

First, open "Computer", and then right-click your reader's drive letter. Left-click "properties". You're presented with a series of tabs. Click the "Hardware" tab. Choose "Sony PRS-XXX Launcher USB Device", then click the "Properties" button. This opens a new window, with a new series of tabs. Click the "Driver" tab, and finally click the "Disable" button. Finally, you will be required to reboot your computer. This disables only the Launcher partition driver, and does not interfere with normal USB operation of the device.
Ruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #17
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
The easiest solution (one I used) is to type msconfig in the "Run" dialog in Windows, and then go to the "Startup" tab and uncheck the box for the Sony Reader software. That should stop the software loading up everytime you plug the reader in.
thank you ! that's good to know.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #18
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruka View Post
Okay, after a week of frustration with the auto-launching/auto-install partition, I sat here and figured out how to disable this read-only partition. I don't have the Sony software installed, as I use Calibre exclusively.

First, open "Computer", and then right-click your reader's drive letter. Left-click "properties". You're presented with a series of tabs. Click the "Hardware" tab. Choose "Sony PRS-XXX Launcher USB Device", then click the "Properties" button. This opens a new window, with a new series of tabs. Click the "Driver" tab, and finally click the "Disable" button. Finally, you will be required to reboot your computer. This disables only the Launcher partition driver, and does not interfere with normal USB operation of the device.
ruka, i think you'll make a lot of people happy with that solution. can i ask you to repost it in a thread about the usb launcher as well ? that will make it easier to find. this one, for instance : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56148

thank you !
Old 10-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #19
Ruka
I dream in turn-based.
Ruka has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ruka has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ruka has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-300
No problem! I apologize for posting it in your thread, when it wasn't really what you were looking for.
Ruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #20
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
No problem! I apologize for posting it in your thread, when it wasn't really what you were looking for.
please don't apologise ! it's very useful information and the two topics are close enough that people could easily find this thread when looking for your solution. thank you for also posting in the other thread so more people will find the solution.
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #21
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
What Orion said.
Everytime I install something I check MSCONFIG; seems every programmer thinks his or her program is so important it should always run on startup; I selden agree, mainly a virusscanner and perhaps a mousedriver is often enough.
I've seen PCs that autostarted over 40 programs, usually owned by people who complained their PC was so sluggish lately.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #22
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
What Orion said.
Everytime I install something I check MSCONFIG;
Startup Guard plugin for Total Commander is much more convenient than msconfig.
It is my favourite tool for speeding up other peoples PCs. (I jealously guard mine and kill immediately any auto-loading piece of software)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:16 AM   #23
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Use msconfig since 98 Absolutely love it.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:26 AM   #24
Mikesbook
Enthusiast
Mikesbook began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:

Ruka - thank you so much for this solution.
I have been pulling my hair out for weeks trying to find a neat work around for this problem. It worked great in Vista Home Premium 32-bit.
Mikesbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #25
mobilius
mobilius began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
2 ways to go about disabling the eBook Library Launcher:

1. Start -> Run "msconfig", select Startup tab, uncheck eBook Library Launcher. Apply. Close. Exit without restart. Open Task Manager and kill the Launcher process.

2. CAVEAT EMPTOR: Requires editing the registry. BACKUP, etc. You've been warned...
Start -> Run "regedit", navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Run", select "eBook Library Launcher" key, right-click, select delete. Open Task Manager and kill the Launcher process.

HTH.
mobilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:11 AM   #26
Tony Hoyle
Enthusiast
Tony Hoyle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
They've done the same on OSX. There's an app "eBook Library Launcher". If you kill it it relaunches itself, and it's not in any of the StartupItems folder.

Sony have installed it as a system level driver.. and they've borked even that up - they put spaces in its label so you can't control it with launchctl.

To remove the parasite, type:

sudo rm /Library/LaunchAgents/com.sony.eBookLibrary.eBLLauncher.plist

Then reboot.
Tony Hoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:22 AM   #27
bathos
Zealot
bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
so simple !!! thanks kovid, i feel a bit stupid now not to have thought of that myself. i changed C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\eBook Library.exe to C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\_eBook Library.exe and now i get an error message saying that windows can't find C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\eBook Library.exe which i have to clear but that's preferable to the app launching, and if i launch it manually it still works fine.

i also noticed that in C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\bin\ there is a repertory called "launcher" containing "eBook Library Launcher.exe" (which i have renamed to "_eBook Library Launcher.exe_" just to be sure). i am not sure what it is exactly but somehow i suspect it's involved , and i think both of them are sollicited by the reader when you plug it in, as i did get 2 error messages about unfound ressources.
Thanks for this detailed guide, you have just saved my sanity. I tried the other methods without success but this works perfectly.
bathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #28
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i installed sony's ebooklibrary software v. 3 today. now every time i plug in my 600 the software starts automatically. since i don't use it i don't want this. i thought i saw a post explaining how to disable the software autorun but when i searched for it i only found posts about disabling autorun in windows registry for all usb devices (not what i'm looking for). anybody know what thread i'm talking about (or did i dream that) ? is it possible to disable that somehow so the ebl will run only if i launch it manually ? should i go back to the previous version ?
This is of interest to me too Zelda.
When I connect my PRS-500 to my laptop several things happen:
- It tries to mount all three partitions offered by the PRS-500.
- It launches Reader Store software.
- The Sony photo software (for my Sony camera, funnily enough) detects my PRS-500's memory stick, which also bears photos, and runs the Import wizard.
I'd be nice if Calibre could at least suspend the Reader software from running - because once the Reader software kicks in, calibre doesn't mount the Reader!
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:29 PM   #29
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathos View Post
Thanks for this detailed guide, you have just saved my sanity. I tried the other methods without success but this works perfectly.
i'm glad you got it sorted. in the end i managed to disable it using Code Stuff Starter, so you could try that as well if necessary.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #30
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
This is of interest to me too Zelda.
When I connect my PRS-500 to my laptop several things happen:
- It tries to mount all three partitions offered by the PRS-500.
- It launches Reader Store software.
- The Sony photo software (for my Sony camera, funnily enough) detects my PRS-500's memory stick, which also bears photos, and runs the Import wizard.
I'd be nice if Calibre could at least suspend the Reader software from running - because once the Reader software kicks in, calibre doesn't mount the Reader!
the solution which worked for me was to disable the autorun using Code Stuff Starter (utility app) and kill the process (it won't come back). you can also disable the usb launch using ruka's solution in post 16. no worries at all now. i have noticed that sometimes if calibre was running for some time when i plug in the sony, i have to restart it or it won't detect the device, but that is a minor detail and possibly unrelated.

Tags
disable autorun, disable ebl, stop autorun