Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Herndz
Herndz began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Post Conversion Filenames Help

Hi, all, first time here…

After converting ebook files, the author's name is always after the book title. I want to be able to place the author's name before the book's title.

Also, in a series situation, I want to be able to place 01, 02, etc. before the book title. Yes I could use Name Mangler, but there has to be a way for Calibre to do this automagically.

I looked into templates (if that's what I have to work with), but have no idea what the instructions are talking about.

Please help.

Thanks!
Herndz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herndz View Post
Hi, all, first time here…

After converting ebook files, the author's name is always after the book title. I want to be able to place the author's name before the book's title.

Also, in a series situation, I want to be able to place 01, 02, etc. before the book title. Yes I could use Name Mangler, but there has to be a way for Calibre to do this automagically.

I looked into templates (if that's what I have to work with), but have no idea what the instructions are talking about.

Please help.

Thanks!
Templates:
the stuff inside a { } pair refers to the field (column) in the Library
just chain them in the order you want. You can also include any OS legal text between fields: {title} by {authors} (note : is not legal in a file name)
The exception is {series} just the name, and {Series_index} just the number

Template are only to be used to save books saved OUTSIDE the Library
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Also remember that you SHOULD be treating the calibre directory structure and files as a black box... It's ok to look, but don't touch, and the names / structure are there for calibre's usage, and not your direct usage.

See Want to change the folder structure of the Calibre library?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
Herndz

More Help…

Thanks for the replies.

I understand what you are saying, but I went to this page, and it never says (that I can see) where to do any of this. I looked in preferences and find nothing where I can create my own "templates."

I discovered the Plugboard from this page, but of course, it didn't work. I just want to save to the hard drive with my own set up of the ebook's filename. I just can't believe I have to learn programming to do this…

Please help.

Thanks again…

Last edited by Herndz; 09-29-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What we are trying to say is that directly after conversion (or ANY operation that adds books to the library) you have NO control over the layout of the names of the books within the calibre library itself. The library is a black box that you can look at but NOT change.

If you want names in a different format for your OWN purposes then you have to "export" them from the library. Then you can override the names.

For instance, I just did the following.

In calibre Preferences I clicked on Saving books to disk in the Import/Export section. Then in the Save Template box I typed
Code:
{authors}{series:| - |}{series_index:0>2s| - |} - {title}
and hit the Apply button at the top and then the Close button at the bottom.

Now back in the list of books in my library I selected the books that I wanted and then did a (right click) and selected Save to Disk.

On this screen I selected the option Save to Disk and then selected a location to save the files.

The result was that books were saved with names like
Code:
Douglas Coupland - All Families Are Psychotic.epub
Jeremy Clarkson - World According to Clarkson, The - 02 - And another thing.epub
Nevil Shute - What Happened to the Corbetts.epub
Piers Anthony - Xanth - 35 - Well-Tempered Clavicle.epub
Randy Bachman - Randy Bachman's Vinyl Tap Stories.epub
Suzanne Collins - Underland Chronicles - 01 - Gregor the Overlander.epub
which I believe is what you wanted.

Author then Series then Number within Series and finally Title
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:44 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herndz View Post
I understand what you are saying, but I went to this page, and it never says (that I can see) where to do any of this. I looked in preferences and find nothing where I can create my own "templates."
As PeterT indicates directory / filenames within calibre's library (database) are not user configurable. Save templates in Saving books to disk and Sending books to devices allow you to configure book file names anyway you please as the book is exported from calibre.

Good Reading!
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
Herndz

Well, thanks everyone for their help, but this Calibre is just horrible. I do understand how it works now, I enter the strings in the Save to Disk area, but the ebooks keep coming out as though I changed nothing (even though I applied the changes).

I've just deleted Calibre, will never use this again, going back to the simpler and logical iTunes for ebook organization.

Again, thanks for all your help. I guess Calibre is more geared toward programmers and such.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
@Herndz: Welcome to Mobile Read.

You really could be "cutting off your nose to spite your face" here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting...spite_the_face

Calibre is such a useful and flexible eBook Manager that I would suggest you persevere for a while before giving up on it. Have a look at http://calibre-ebook.com/about and then play with its feature for a while.

Calibre as an eBook library manager is so flexible that you'll quickly realise that the internal folder structure is irrelevant – you never need to access the folders from your OS, it's all handled within calibre.

If you really want a specific folder structure on your device then you can use the send-to-device template; and for a structure on disk use the save-to-disk template.

Quote:
I do understand how it works now, I enter the strings in the Save to Disk area, but the ebooks keep coming out as though I changed nothing (even though I applied the changes).
This comment suggests that you DO NOT understand how it works. Of course the ebooks keep coming out the same. The template DOES NOT affect how the ebooks are named on conversion. (it's not supposed to!), but only comes into play when you send-to-disk or send-to-device.

Give calibre a thorough test for a few weeks and you may well find that, like so many of us have already found, calibre becomes an indespensible eBook management tool.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Herndz:

I understand your frustration. The first couple of times I tried Calibre, I hated the interface. Then I started playing around with it and suddenly something just clicked, and now it just makes so much sense.

Funnily enough, what I hated about it was that it was too Itunes-like. I've spent decades getting used to a hierarchical file structure for organizing things. The database paradigm is very different.

As to your claim that Calibre is for programmers, it comes down to flexibility vs. simplicity. Calibre is far more flexible than Itunes, which admittedly means it sacrifices a certain degree of simplicity. But the great thing is that the hardest part is setting up the database the way you want, which you only have to do once. Once you get over that hurdle, managing your ebooks is a breeze, and far easier to deal with than Itunes.

Now, back to your original question. You have yet to clearly outline your problem. Calibre does not change file names on conversion, and it stores the author and book name in different fields. So your original statement of the problem is ambiguous, which is why you got several different answers, none of which solved your problem.

Which of the following is the issue you're having:

1. When you import a book into the Calibre library, you don't like how it interprets the authors and file names.

2. You're looking inside the Calibre library folder on the hard drive and you don't like the way it organizes the files.

3. When you use Calibre to transfer a book to your e-book reader, you don't like how it sets the authors and file names.

4. When you save a book from the Calibre library to your hard drive, you don't like how it sets the authors and file names.

5. (Something I haven't thought of)

All of these are valid interpretations of your original question, and all of them have different solutions. You can change the behavior of Calibre in all cases above except for the internal directory structure of Calibre's library (#2 above), which you should not be peeking at or touching anyway. The only way you should ever interact with the Calibre library is through Calibre itself.

If you will identify which of the above cases is what you're talking about, we'll be happy to give you a clear step-by-step way to solve the problem.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote