Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 04:00 AM   #151
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Unless you get spammed with 200 SMS suddenly.
Does that happen?
Can you block certain senders?
When people got on the "free" SMS plans here there was suddenly a lot os SMS advertising, especially for SMS loans. You register a bank account, send and SMS requiring a loan of say $500 and you have the amount in your account withing minutes. Then you pay through the nose.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:20 AM   #152
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'll pay $250 for a wifi only Note.
That is what I have been saying all along you smart monkey, you.

I would even let a few things go, though I wouldn't want to.
Screen Resolution, slightly down but still above 1024
AMOLED, well maybe a tradeoff.

I would have to study the specs but I think I can be bought.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:34 AM   #153
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post

You know what they say about brilliant minds thinking alike... Just wish I had one.

I agree. I could live with a Note that was spec'd down a tad.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:37 AM   #154
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:

Well the nexus 7 proves it possible at that price but no hardware manufacturer is going to take the hit like Google and Amazon. And Samsung is not going to devalue its own phones by releasing a radio less version cheaply. They might release it at $400 or so but not at $200-250.
I think most Americans have unrealistic expectations about mobile product prices as they have been using subsidised smartphones so long that they are shocked by actual prices when they want to buy a product sans contract.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:37 AM   #155
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I heard that the width will actually be slightly narrower. I’m not quite sure how they will accomplish that as the side bezels are a bit too small already. When I’m holding it by the edges my fingers overlap a bit to the front and cause inadvertent touches.
They could just make the whole thing on the back of a pane of Gorilla glass and the actual physical size could be reduced while the screen size is increased.

At one time I was thinking that Apple was working on that kind of glass forming, and buying machines to do it.

You would just hold it on the edges. No screen coverage by the fingers.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:42 AM   #156
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Well the nexus 7 proves it possible at that price but no hardware manufacturer is going to take the hit like Google and Amazon. And Samsung is not going to devalue its own phones by releasing a radio less version cheaply. They might release it at $400 or so but not at $200-250.
I think most Americans have unrealistic expectations about mobile product prices as they have been using subsidised smartphones so long that they are shocked by actual prices when they want to buy a product sans contract.
My friend have you ever studied an Apple iPod Touch and the very close similarity to an iPhone without the cellular, and those come at Apple's elevated prices.

By the way, I read they didn't put auto-focus on the iPod Touch only because they wanted to make it even thinner.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:51 AM   #157
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
What's unrealistic is the pricing. Unlocked smartphones are vastly overpriced. A $600~$800 phone only costs about $200 or less to manufacture.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:56 AM   #158
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
My friend have you ever studied an Apple iPod Touch and the very close similarity to an iPhone without the cellular, and those come at Apple's elevated prices.

By the way, I read they didn't put auto-focus on the iPod Touch only because they wanted to make it even thinner.
Agree!

And that thin factor was also responsible for the cam coming in at a whopping 0.7MP. OMG, I could become a professional photographer with those specs.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #159
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Someone let me know if Jellybean is coming to the factory unlocked Notes any time soon! I'm ready for it!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #160
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Someone let me know if Jellybean is coming to the factory unlocked Notes any time soon! I'm ready for it!
It it's supposedly already being distributed to the Korean models, knowing them they probably let the Japanese wait the longest :-)
Old 07-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #161
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Actually I bought mine factory unlocked from Hong Kong so it's some kind of European model. My service provider is Japanese however-I don't know how they decide how the updates are sent out. For some reason I had to get a sim card before I could upgrade to ICS even though I could connect to the net through wifi before and it told me that an upgrade was available.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #162
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

I have been thinking about the Kindle app on GN. Now, I obviously realize that Amazon will not release a specific Kindle app for a GN, we will have to use the regular Android Kindle app, like everybody else. But wouldn't it be nice if you could integrate S-Memo in the Kindle app? You highlight something and want to add a note, when you do you could have the choice to use S-Memo as you notetaker, that note would then be linked to the note marker in the Kindle book. Just a thought.
Is it something worth pursuing?
Old 07-19-2012, 04:34 AM   #163
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I have been thinking about the Kindle app on GN. Now, I obviously realize that Amazon will not release a specific Kindle app for a GN, we will have to use the regular Android Kindle app, like everybody else. But wouldn't it be nice if you could integrate S-Memo in the Kindle app? You highlight something and want to add a note, when you do you could have the choice to use S-Memo as you notetaker, that note would then be linked to the note marker in the Kindle book. Just a thought.
Is it something worth pursuing?
I use NanaNotes

Spoiler:
Old 07-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #164
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I use NanaNotes

Spoiler:
Unfortunately my ability to take notes in Simianese is sorely lacking.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #165
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Thank you to all the addiction feeding enablers in this thread. Because of your glowing reviews (and the death of my old trusty flip phone) I am now the (shamefully) proud owner of a Galaxy Note.

I walked into the store, resolving only to replace my dead phone with something similar, when there it was. Stark and somehow beautiful like the Monolith in "2001". Normally, I would have passed by thinking "Wow, that's a big a$$ phone!", but you people have awoken a hunger deep within.

Fighting the craving, I stared mouth agape at the object of my new desire until the clerk arrived. The next few minutes are foggy, but I seem to recall someone yelling "I want, I want, I want" over and over again. When the fog cleared from my head, I was standing next to my car holding the Galaxy Note and the paperwork for a voice/data plan (a thing which I once swore I'd never voluntarily have).

So there you go. I now have a Galaxy Note, a data plan, fewer shekels, and a feeling of self loathing. I'm blaming you lot!

[5thWiggles scurries away to search out a case for the Precious. One with a belt clip because his hip is feeling decidedly naked. Also, he needs to find cut-price Minion Chow due to having fewer shekels.]

P.S. If you lose your pen, I can confirm that these (Watcom MP200) work. Just tried the ones I have as spare for my Pocket Edge.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote