Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
crackhammer
Enthusiast
crackhammer began at the beginning.

Device: Nook touch, iPad, Xoom
Are these features available in Calibre? More inside

Hello folks,

I have been on a scanning spree recently and using Calibre to store those books. I felt need of following features and searching around Calibre options didn't get me anywhere. Hence the question goes to the author and the experts.

1. Is there any possibility of customizing columns in the library view.
1a. There is already a rating column where the data is extracted from metadata but what if I would like to have a separate column for my OWN ratings?
1b. Is there any possibility of adding My Comments column where I can add my comments?
1c. I would like to have ISBN column and that ISBN number can be selected and copyable.

2. What is the possibility of having a detailed search module. Since a lot of book data is available in metadata, I should be able to search by ISBN number but that doesn't seem to be the case at the moment.

3. Is there any possibility that I could get a statistics on tag usage, so that I could keep tag numbers to least possible relevant tags, rather than overloading them.

Thanks for help.
crackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhammer View Post
1. Is there any possibility of customizing columns in the library view.
Read the sticky on the beta test of Calibre.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
2. What is the possibility of having a detailed search module. Since a lot of book data is available in metadata, I should be able to search by ISBN number but that doesn't seem to be the case at the moment.
Searching ISBN works for me.

Quote:
3. Is there any possibility that I could get a statistics on tag usage, so that I could keep tag numbers to least possible relevant tags, rather than overloading them.
The tag editor tells you how many books use each tag. BTW, you can turn off tag fetching in the metadata fetch. Many people feel overloaded in the number of tags created (personally I like it). You can keep them, and make categories for your own special tags, if you wish. Again, see the beta version of Calibre.

Last edited by Starson17; 05-10-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
crackhammer
Enthusiast

Thanks Starson17,

Since I am not a brave soul (read as geek), I will wait till stable version is released for custom columns.

I take back my second question regarding ISBN, I had difficulties in the past. I should have checked again before posting question.

Where is this tag editor? I don't find it
Old 05-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks Starson17,

Since I am not a brave soul (read as geek), I will wait till stable version is released for custom columns.

I take back my second question regarding ISBN, I had difficulties in the past. I should have checked again before posting question.

Where is this tag editor? I don't find it
The beta is pretty stable, but it shouldn't take long for it to be introduced into the mainstream. I was referring to the button that looks like a luggage tag. I think it's officially called the "Tag Browser" - which is what I should have called it.

Last edited by Starson17; 05-10-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #6
crackhammer
Enthusiast

Thanks again.

Honestly, I didn't think that those were buttons, never played with them. Now things are clear.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:29 AM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
The calibre user interface is ... idiosyncratic. It helps to randomly poke at graphics until you find out which ones do something. Most of them do.

In a lot of ways, it reminds me of the days before Microsoft hammered all our user interfaces into one mold. I always wanted to build a file manager with the Doom engine. Different rooms for different directories, etc. When you deleted a file, you'd get to see it die.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:29 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
In a lot of ways, it reminds me of the days before Microsoft hammered all our user interfaces into one mold. I always wanted to build a file manager with the Doom engine. Different rooms for different directories, etc. When you deleted a file, you'd get to see it die.
That reminds me of this.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote