Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
rick98761
rick98761 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
remove kindle book drm with no kindle

I have about 25 kindle books, that I had purchased on my iphone. I am getting an iPad in a few days. I would like to strip the drm from my kindle books so I can import them into the iBooks app, and not have to manage my library across two apps, the second being the kindle iphone/ipad app)

I have found plenty of guides for removing the drm, but they all involve getting the pid from your kindle. How do I find the pid that would be associated with my books?
rick98761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick98761 View Post
I have about 25 kindle books, that I had purchased on my iphone. I am getting an iPad in a few days. I would like to strip the drm from my kindle books so I can import them into the iBooks app, and not have to manage my library across two apps, the second being the kindle iphone/ipad app)

I have found plenty of guides for removing the drm, but they all involve getting the pid from your kindle. How do I find the pid that would be associated with my books?
If you look around there is a way to get the PID of your iPod via its serial number which I think iTunes displays plugged into kindlepid. Then you can use the backup extractor to remove the books from your iPod's backup. Once you have them you can use mobidedrm to liberate your ebooks.

After than, import them into calibre and convert them to ePub. Once they are in ePub you can import them into iTunes 9.1

Sorry... can't be any more specific than all that... or the moderators will scold me.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
also, just google for how to strip DRM and you shall find an answer to that question.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
It's not that bad. I'm not a fan of the kindle, but one thing I really like about it is the fact that it will sync your place in the book between all you devices. That's handy if you read the same book on multiple devices, which I've done on occasion.

If you still want to manage your books outside amazon, then pilotbob's suggestion works. I've done it. The advantage to de-drmin is also the fact that you can back up your books outside of Amazon in case of problems.

Just a heads up, though, If any of the books are in the topaz format, you'll have lot of work making them work without drm.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
hokie
hokie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader (PRS-500)
Google is your friend for "removing DRM protection from eBooks" ;-)
hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert