Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #16
jodykihara
Author
jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle reader for PC
Interesting; VPL told me Nooks will not!
Apparently all the Sony readers work well too.
jodykihara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodykihara View Post
Interesting; VPL told me Nooks will not!
Apparently all the Sony readers work well too.
Pretty much anything but Kindle.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #18
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Nooks will work. OverDrive supplies the books and Nook is a supported device.
I didn't suggest Nooks wouldn't work ... I said they probably wouldn't be supported by VPL. Nor does it matter as Barnes and Noble neither sells nor supports Nooks in Canada.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #19
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by frddgls View Post
You can order ebooks through the Vancouver Island Regional Library.
Thank you! I'll try that
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:06 PM   #20
icedtea
elibrary love
icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, RIP Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamekke View Post
I'd been told that you couldn't use the VPL for borrowing e-books unless you lived in Greater Vancouver. (I'm on Vancouver Island.)

Is this wrong?
Sort of. You need a library card to start (as you're on the island, it's easiest to go with your home library system). Ebooks and audiobooks are provided to the BC library consortium through the BC Libraries site.
icedtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
That is incorrect. I use the BC Library download site all the time for books on my Kindle. However, it does require removing DRM. This is not a difficult process if you're already using Calibre, nor is it illegal in Canada for personal use. But it is not officially supported by the library, so you can't ask them for help. Of course, there are places to find help, such as Apprentice Alf.
No, that is correct. As is, the eBooks at the library will NOT work with a Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #22
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
You can yell that all you want, but it doesn't make it true. Nor does repeating it time and time again provide value to the discussion. It is true that you need to take an additional step to use library books on your Kindle. But it is NOT true to claim that you can't do so.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #23
Lesley2
Lesley2 began at the beginning.

Device: None
E-books in Canadian libraries

I found the relevant information for Vancouver Public Library at:

http://guides.vpl.ca/content.php?pid=216772&sid=1802298.

Now all I have to do is buy a Kobo. I hadn't decided yet which e-reader to get, so this solves the problem.
Lesley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:05 AM   #24
maritimer
Maritimer
maritimer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-300 & T1
NS Libraries also have ebooks

Hi Folks

All the way east to Nova Scotia - our public libraries have offered ebooks for some time.
http://digitalmedia.library.ns.ca/A4...en/Default.htm
maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #25
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley2 View Post
I found the relevant information for Vancouver Public Library at:

http://guides.vpl.ca/content.php?pid=216772&sid=1802298.

Now all I have to do is buy a Kobo. I hadn't decided yet which e-reader to get, so this solves the problem.
Certainly, the new Kobo ereader is a better device than the original one, but I still prefer my Kindle. And reading both library books (from the downloads.bclibrary.ca site), and from Kobobooks.com is not a problem on it at all.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #26
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
[QUOTE=Wetdogeared;721568]
You may also need to download and install OverDrive® Media Console™.../QUOTE]

I didn't find this necessary. ADE, yes, but not the OverDrive thingie. (I use a Kobo.)
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #27
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamekke View Post
I'd been told that you couldn't use the VPL for borrowing e-books unless you lived in Greater Vancouver. (I'm on Vancouver Island.)

Is this wrong?
Yes. You need to have a library card from somewhere in B.C. The e-books are available equally to all B.C. borrowers.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:03 AM   #28
CRussel
(he/him/his)

corona is correct. There is a single, province-wide, download site for both eBooks and audio books in BC. Audio books require Overdrive, eBooks don't. eBooks are in Mobi (DRM'd, and only a few), PDF (DRM'd, and pretty much useless for any 6" or smaller eBook reader), or ePub (DRM'd, but trivial to remove and use on the device of your choice.)
Old 07-08-2011, 12:44 AM   #29
ne0b0rn
ne0b0rn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Is there anyone with a Manitoba library card that would be able to help me with a book i.e. borrow it for me as I don't have access?

http://elm.lib.overdrive.com/128AF21...8-C7283F1639DC

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to help out with any books in my area.
ne0b0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:11 AM   #30
ne0b0rn
ne0b0rn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
bueller?
ne0b0rn is offline   Reply With Quote