Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 07:08 AM   #1
tpkacer
tpkacer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Add new format in Edit Meta deletes file contents in Calibre

The title pretty much says it all - when I try to add a new format in Edit meta information in Calibre, the new format file loses all its contents.

Typically, I have a .doc file as an e-book in the Calibre library. As I own a Sony PRS-300 reader, I need to convert these .doc files (which I do in OpenOffice as Calibre won't convert .doc files). I save these as .txt or .rtf. Then I go to "Edit meta information" of the e-book and when I add a new format (.txt or .rtf) via clicking the appropriate icon - a reddish book-cover with a plus sign, and the newly added file loses all content and has 0 bytes.
Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks!

I use Calibre 0.7.28 running on Ubuntu 10.04.
tpkacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
rathbone
rathbone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Augen
I am trying to do something similar, although I, too, am having problems with the conversion directions. I do remember, however, that the help page for calibre says that one should convert doc files to html files within Microsoft Word, and then convert the html file to a ePub or a MOBI.

I hope you keep posting so I can follow you as I try to do much what you're trying to do.
rathbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi tpkacer and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hi and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
tpkacer
tpkacer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Hi again and thank you for your words of welcome!

I tried to convert and add formats in various possible ways and found out that:
You should NOT save the new format in the Calibre-managed library forlder.

This may seem an obvious thing, but the problem was caused like this: I filtered for the .doc format in Calibre, clicked "Path - click to open" (a Nautilus [explorer program] pops up), then I opened the file in OpenOffice and Saved As... - which meant that the new format was saved into the same folder. Then, for some reason, when Calibre copied the file over itself, it deleted all its content and left it with 0kB.

Adding new formats from files in other locations than within the Calibre library solved the issue.
tpkacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
Welcome to MR! I don't know enough to help with the Calibre problem, but I've been using Mobipocket Creator to make PRC files, then uploading those into Calibre. Mobipocket accepts my .doc files without a problem. (I use MS Word 2003.)
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ...

To both of you .... You may be better off discussing this in the Calibre Forum....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
add format, calibre, delete content