Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 01:12 AM   #16
violent23
Connoisseur
violent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Oasis 2017, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I quite often edit eBooks I've paid for because the publishers don't format them the way I like. A lot have indents too large, spaces between paragraphs, fonts set to too small (I prefer the base font to be the default size), and margins too wide. These are typically the issues I deal with. Since I do know CSS and HTML well enough, I can fix these issues without too much hassle.
With e-books becoming more popular it seems that publishers need to get their ducks in a row. I should not have to spend my time editing my e-books that have been paid for. None of us should, yet we are. This is very lame. If the e-book is paid for it is a finished product, and should reflect that in how the e-book looks. There needs to be a set of guidelines or something on how these e-books are put together by the publisher. There are too many differences and mistakes in the books I own. There is no excuse for this.
violent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #17
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
On the listing page for a Kindle ebook in Amazon.com, if you scroll down...down...down... you eventually come to a series of feedback links. One of them is for reporting poor formatting. I strongly recommend using it - that will notify Amazon of the problem, and they will contact the publisher. Amazon don't want people going away dissatisfied with their purchase - they are, after all, in the business of making money, and part of that involves having satisfied customers who come back and buy more stuff from them. If they find a lot of complaints coming in relating to books from one particular publisher, it gives them the leverage to get the publisher to do something about it.

Trying to straightjacket all books into an "identikit" format simply isn't feasible - there are so many different routes that books take on their journey to becoming ebooks. It would also be a real shame force all ebooks to look exactly the same.

- Donna
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert