Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-05-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Unhappy No eReader for Linux in the works

I wrote to eReader.com to ask about possible support for the iLiad and other Linux devices. I got this reply:
Quote:
We may eventually support handhelds that will run on Linux systems
however, at this time there are no plans in place to support it. You
can check back with us from time to time for updates.
I consider this to be unfortunate, because the eReader DRM is less onerous than many (yes, yes, it's still evil...) and their inventory and prices are good. Maybe when there are more Linux devices out there, they'll reconsider.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Good prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
I consider this to be unfortunate, because the eReader DRM is less onerous than many (yes, yes, it's still evil...) and their inventory and prices are good. Maybe when there are more Linux devices out there, they'll reconsider.
Picking a book at random on their web site:
You On a Diet
The Owner's Manual for Waist Management
by Michael F. Roizen, Mehmet C. Oz MD

eReader.com price: Sale Price: $16.99 Newsletter Price: $15.29
Amazon.com price: $13.75 (Hardcover no less!)

Not what I would call a "good price". An eBook should be no more than 50% the cost of the PAPERBACK version of the pBook. So a "good" cost at eReader.com should be less than $7.00.

And when you add DRM to it, the value drops even less. But that's another story...
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2007, 12:28 AM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
The prices I checked were for SF books, and they were all lower than their paperback versions. Guess it depends on which books you look at.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:58 AM   #4
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
I wrote to eReader.com to ask about possible support for the iLiad and other Linux devices. I got this reply:

Don't the Sony + and Illiad run Linux...? Or perhaps you mean the e-reader software...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:45 AM   #5
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
The prices I checked were for SF books, and they were all lower than their paperback versions. Guess it depends on which books you look at.
SOME of the SF (maybe most) are reasonably priced (if they remove the DRM). But I still see:

Eldest Limited Edition
by Christopher Paolini
Price: $17.99
Newsletter Price: $16.19

Still WAY too high for an eBook. But most do seem reasonable - if they had no DRM.

A price of:
Star Trek: Corps of Engineers: Turn the Page
by Dayton Ward, Kevin Dilmore
Price: $4.99 | Newsletter Price: $4.49

is still far too high to LEASE an eBook (when the library will let you do that for free).
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
Or perhaps you mean the e-reader software...?
Yup, that's what they're discussing, jęd.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote