Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Where oh where are the Kindle 'Apps?' so far.... Bupkiss!

Amazon has to be the slowest moving company in the history of the Universe! It's been months since they announced that they were "opening the code" (or whatever) so that specific 'apps' could be developed for the Kindle. I immediately became excited as I visualized hundreds of entrepreneurs burning the midnight oil using their creative genius to create interesting apps no one has thought of yet in order to pry my money out of my pockets.

Aaaaaannnndddd.....Bupkiss!

I was (am) envisioning supported 'apps' (like my Iphone) alowing me to put my own sleep mode screensavers and fonts galore! folder apps and ways to organize my annotations and notes. Perhaps a calendar app or two, maybe text based games aaaannnddddddd..... BUPKISS! I look on google for Kindle apps aaaaannndddd.....

etc....

Where are they?

Last edited by Roy White; 05-31-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
No idea where the apps are at, but the 2.5 update has folders......
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Saruman
Saruman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I guess for Amazon the key maket of the kindle is ebook selling.
The announcement of the KDK is a reaction on the user activities to port
software to the kindle.

It worked!!! Who is still interested in porting qt-apps to the kindle
for example? A simple text editor comes with the qt-examples ...
There are tons of easy to port software, which already
runs on arm devices like the nokia internet tablets?

Amazon is producing hope. It is the same with the announced 2.5 update.
The developers are waiting. Everything gets better with the new update,
but some of us know this is not true.

I have seen this "update strategy" for many devices. Its a "strategy pattern"
like the 1000$->500$ - trick of apple.
Saruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
jerome
Enthusiast
jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Entourage Edge, Dell Streak
yup, so ppl should purchase based on the available features, not on the "promised". i've been waiting for the 2.5 update and the apps, and not happy when it's more delayed again. but with the amount of bad feedbacks on 2.5, maybe it's ok not to get it yet.

the apps..maybe it'll only come out with the new kindle in august? i hope it's supported on k2/dx or there'll be more unhappy people.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
So, did they not actually release the code, or is it that nobody has released apps? I'd be interested in learning more about the actual situation. Is there an Amazon site for Kindle developers?

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
My understanding is that the apps have to be for add-on type functionality, not changing anything already built-in to the Kindle.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
No idea where the apps are at, but the 2.5 update has folders......
No, it has tags, which are entirely different to folders.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
Amazon has to be the slowest moving company in the history of the Universe!
I take it you've never dealt with Bookeen
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:18 AM   #9
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it has tags, which are entirely different to folders.
I HAVE the update, it's folders (or collections) that in some ways act like tags, in the way that you can place them in more than one area.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:32 AM   #10
Saruman
Saruman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
I HAVE the update, it's folders (or collections) that in some ways act like tags, in the way that you can place them in more than one area.
Can I make folders when i have my kindle plugged in via USB and are they recognised as collections?

ONTOPIC:

Are some of you registered in the KDK beta phase? There must be someone ...
The only thing you can find is a NES emulator movie in youtube.

Last edited by Saruman; 06-02-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Saruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:27 AM   #11
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
The KDK was announced in January, and delivered (as a closed beta) to developers in February. There is a fair amount of documentation available about the KDK contents. Apps are rumored to appear in the kindle store in the fall.
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:11 AM   #12
nbarr
nbarr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Amazon could learn a lot about the process of delivering new functionalities...
nbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #13
iphitus
iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarr View Post
Amazon could learn a lot about the process of delivering new functionalities...
Just a little more communication would be wonderful. I'm surprised at how silent it has been regarding kindle apps. Not a peep from Amazon and not a single comment from a developer. From what I've seen no dev kits have been leaked online either.
iphitus is offline   Reply With Quote