Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-28-2006, 01:19 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
ManyBooks.net has a mobile site version

The great free book resource, ManyBooks.net now has a mobile device friendly version called mnybks.net. It's perfect for grabbing a new e-book while you are on the go with an internet connected device. In fact, if your device has an SD card reader, you can even pop a Sony Reader friendly version onto an SD card and then plug it right into the Reader.

E-books are not usually huge files, but always be aware of any data charges that might pile up.

Via David Rothman at TeleRead.org.

Update: As noted in the discussion below, the functionality is currently limited to .jar files right now, with the typical cell phone and WAP browser being the initial target audience.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:50 AM   #2
davidrothman
Connoisseur
davidrothman began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite, $50 Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 6, Kobo Aura H2O
Hi, Bob. Please note that .jar is apparently the only format available now on mnybks.net, but knowing Matt McClintock's responsiveness, I suspect that others such as Mobi will be along eventually if the software he's using allows this. In the past manybooks.net has made everything multiformat, the reason I originally assumed that Mobi and the others would be there. In an update I've noted the .jar-only limits. Thanks. David

David Rothman, for teleread.org
davidrothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2006, 08:05 AM   #3
fireproof
Enthusiast
fireproof began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten|TX, Sony Reader^H^H^H^H, iLiad, iPhone
Hey folks,

I guess I've confused the matter -- mnybks.net was primarily intended for WAP browsers, and as far as I could tell when I started (cellphones are fairly alien to me) phones that use WAP browsers were limited to java-wrapped ebooks...

Now I know that's not exactly the case, but I've also heard from a number of visitors who are interested in a simpler way to browse manybooks using a handheld or small-screened browser -- so I'll look into ways to make the main site more accessible.

I wouldn't want to knock WAP but sheesh that is a restrictive way to put a site together!
fireproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:13 PM   #4
heavyB
heavyB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader/Treo 600
For other phones that aren't WAP compatible only, you can view manybooks.net original site (as well as any other for that matter) via:
http://www.skweezer.net

Skweezer shrinks graphics down to a managable size. Makes the downloads considerably quicker too.

Should work well with any Pocket PC/Treo phone out there.
heavyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:35 AM   #5
johnnaryry
Connoisseur
johnnaryry doesn't litterjohnnaryry doesn't litter

Device: 64GB Apple iPad 3 WiFi, 32GB Apple iPhone 4S
Very useful information. Thanks Bob!

--ryan
johnnaryry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert