Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #211
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Ideal margin and font

Hi all.

great thread. I tried to find the answer to my question in previous pages, but my eyes are worn out from all the different font examples!
What i want to know is - is there a consensus on the ideal margin size and font type or size for sony readers?

i'd appreciate anyones feedback, in particualr on margin size and font size
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #212
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
No consensus that I've seen. Some folks (including me) like minimal margins -- no more than a pixel or two. Others prefer more. Similarly, there's a definite split between those who prefer serif fonts and those who prefer sans-serif fonts.

I'm sorry this isn't much help, but...

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #213
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I prefer a serif type font as the body font and I prefer no margin on my 505.

It's all subjective. So there really is no optimal settings that will please everyone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #214
diskotekno
diskotekno began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Never mind. I figured it out! there was an EPUB directory on the root that contained a style sheet that was overriding the css in the epub files.

Hi,

I have been trying to get this to work for a couple of days with no luck. I have followed all the steps listed and all I can ever seem to get is the first line of text to be the new font. I have checked and all the text seems to be within <body> tags. I am using a prs-300 with the russian modded firmware (for the clock).

If someone could point me in the direction of what I am doing wrong it would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by diskotekno; 02-28-2010 at 09:44 PM. Reason: resolved
diskotekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #215
Galina
Enthusiast
Galina began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook
specific font for the dictionary

Would it be possible to specify a custom font for the display of the dictionary, also? This could prevent the dictionary from displaying sqaures instread of special characters.

If so, what could the command be and where to put it?

galina
Galina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 05:37 PM   #216
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galina View Post
Would it be possible to specify a custom font for the display of the dictionary, also? This could prevent the dictionary from displaying sqaures instread of special characters.

If so, what could the command be and where to put it?

galina
off topic
Old 05-22-2010, 03:35 AM   #217
C_J
C_J began at the beginning.

Device: sony 600
Hello.

Thanks for your help.

I changed the fonts (I used the Verdana), but I do not know how to change fonts in Chapter Titles and Table of Contents.

What should I write in css to change these Fonts?

(sorry for my English)
C_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #218
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_J View Post
I do not know how to change fonts in Chapter Titles and Table of Contents.

What should I write in css to change these Fonts?
I think it depends on how the Chapter Titles and Table of Contents are defined in your source ebook. I can't help with TOC as I don't use them but I include an example below of what you might use for Chapter Titles.

Add the following to the CSS you already have. It will only work if your ebook's Chapter Titles have been specified using standard HTML heading tags <h1>, <h2>, ... <h6>

The example below sets Headings levels 1-6 to font Georgia, but you could use any font of your choosing.

Code:
@font-face { font-family: "Georgia";	font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; src: url(res:///Data/fonts/georgia.ttf);}
@font-face	{ font-family: "Georgia"; font-weight: normal; font-style: italic; src: url(res:///Data/fonts/georgiai.ttf);}
@font-face	{ font-family: "Georgia"; font-weight: bold; font-style: normal; src: url(res:///Data/fonts/georgiab.ttf);}
@font-face	{ font-family: "Georgia"; font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; src: url(res:///Data/fonts/georgiaz.ttf);}

h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {font-family: "Georgia";}
Similarly, if your source ebook tagged chapters something like this:
Code:
<p class="chapt">Chapter One</p>
rather than:
Code:
<h2>Chapter One</h2>
then I think you could achieve the same result by replacing the last line with:
Code:
p.chapt {font-family: "Georgia";}

Last edited by jackie_w; 05-22-2010 at 09:35 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #219
Tazina
Tazina began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
I just wanted to quickly say Thank You to everyone. It took a couple tries but now I have a much more readable font and it's much more enjoyable to read my PRS 300. Thanks.

ps: I like Verdana in 15 point type.
Tazina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #220
sebasdoes
sebasdoes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Japanese

Has anyone done this with a Japanese font? If yes, do you know what settings I would need in Calibre, what font should work and what CSS to use? I've tried it with Osaka.ttf from MacOS but all I got was question marks when in the book. I must've screwed up somewhere...

Edit: Most of my books were in some Aozora Bunko-like format; .txt with image files. The txt files had HTML-style links to the image files, it was really weird. Anyway, the program 青P in combination with the IPA Mona font got me a working PDF for my Sony. I had to use the Mona font because the default font used by 青P did not work (pages were blank when viewed on the PSR-600). I can recommend that you keep the default (non-working) font for the furigana though, since they don't show up correctly in the text, this way they won't show up at all. After converting you can add the metadata with Calibre and you're good to go.

If your original text files are in SJIS you must first convert them to UTF8. I used a small program called TextEncodingConverter for that.

Last edited by sebasdoes; 07-11-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Worked around my problem.
sebasdoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #221
arvinder
arvinder began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N72
Need a complete epub file having japanese or russian fonts in it that will really helpful.

Thanks
arvinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #222
cgk
Enthusiast
cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite Signature
Hi,

I want to use Linux Libertine and have download the font pack (which contains 5 fonts in .ttf format), what is the CSS code I need to put in Calibre?

Thanks in advance,

Charles
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #223
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinder View Post
Need a complete epub file having japanese or russian fonts in it that will really helpful.

Thanks
Do you have the Japanese or Russian font files?
Old 07-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #224
cgk
Enthusiast
cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite Signature
Ah-ha, I've worked it out, so no advice needed (well unless someone wants to recommend a font they think is better than Linux Libertine!).
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:57 AM   #225
arvinder
arvinder began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N72
I tried with japanese.ttf font but unable to display japanese characerte in sony library.

What would be the font family of japanese.ttf.

As explained in one the discussion to use below font can sombody attach ipagp-mona.ttf font package.

@font-face {
font-family: "ipagpmona";
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/ipagp-mona.ttf);
}

body {
font-family: "ipagpmona";
}
arvinder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, fonts