Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #1
modified
Connoisseur
modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: PW5
Current Kindle owner with questions about Pocket on Kobo

I'm a longtime and frequent user of Amazon's Send to Kindle feature, specifically the ability to send web pages to the Kindle (via the official Chrome extension). It is almost entirely due to this feature that I have been extremely reluctant to switch to another ereader (currently using a PW1).

I recently learned about Kobo's Pocket support. This got me interested and the new Kobo Glo HD looks to be a great device.

Questions for Kobo owners, in particular those who use the Pocket feature frequently...

How is your experience so far? Is it reliable? Are the pages formatted well for the Kobo?

How often do you encounter a page that does not get sent to the Kobo? (And can you tell why it fails?) Do you have problems with image-heavy pages?

If you have experience with Send to Kindle, how does Pocket on a Kobo device compare?

Would love to hear about your experiences. Thanks!
modified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #2
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I use it every now and then (guessing about 100-150 articles over 2 years) and I am constantly amazed how well Pocket works. I know some here have problems with Pocket not recoqnizing a particular text as an article, maybe I have been lucky but I have yet to not receive the choosen web page to my Kobo.

It's an awesome feature.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2015, 08:09 PM   #3
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have Kindles and Kobos and I use Send to Kindle with Chrome and I use Pocket. Send to Kindle seems a bit easier to use since Chrome seems to no longer support the Pocket extension. I'm not sure why and I'm not sure it's not just something on my system.

It's a pretty minor problem though since I have a simple shortcut to Pocket that makes it almost as easy to use. I click that shortcut and a browser window opens with a place to put a link to the page I want to copy.

Also Send to Kindle gives me some minimal formatting options. I like those. Again, though, they don't amount to much and I don't really miss them in Pocket.

On the devices the differences are even smaller. They both work well. Send to Kindle gives me a personal document when I sync. Pocket pops up a list of saved documents and I can quickly download whichever I choose.

All in all I don't think the differences are enough to matter, at least for my uses. There are a lot of differences. They're pretty different systems. It's hard to have strong feelings about one over the other, though.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:38 AM   #4
modified
Connoisseur
modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

I've read a few posts here and there about people being unable to load certain articles on the Kobo. It seems like Pocket is mostly okay on the Kobo or the feature isn't really widely used.

To test out Pocket's general parsing capability, I've revived my Pocket account and installed the Chrome extension. It seem to work okay, so if you're having problems, maybe an update or reinstall of the extension will help.

I just have to figure out the best way to get Pocket content on to the Kindle (before I decide whether to get a Kobo or stay with Kindles). Pocket doesn't offer that right out of the box, and the third party solutions I've found has a significant interval lag (Send to Kindle takes only few minutes tops).

Thanks for your replies so far. And just in case I've missed it, the Kobo doesn't have a native send to device via email feature does it?
Old 05-07-2015, 07:02 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by modified View Post
Thanks for your replies so far. And just in case I've missed it, the Kobo doesn't have a native send to device via email feature does it?
No. Kobo don't have an equivalent of Amazon's "Personal Document" service.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
After speaking with some Kobo users about the best features of their chosen ereader there are a few things that Kobos do better than Kindles or anyone else. If you buy one do it for one of the features that they do best:

- It's the premier ebook reader for epub formated books, Kindle does not use epub
- If you want to read under water or in the bath tub the Kobo Aura HD H2O is the only thing in town
- If you want choices of different models of ereaders thatn Kobo is the best way to go, amazon has only three models available, Kobo has a lot more than that.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:50 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
After speaking with some Kobo users about the best features of their chosen ereader there are a few things that Kobos do better than Kindles or anyone else. If you buy one do it for one of the features that they do best:

- It's the premier ebook reader for epub formated books, Kindle does not use epub
- If you want to read under water or in the bath tub the Kobo Aura HD H2O is the only thing in town
- If you want choices of different models of ereaders thatn Kobo is the best way to go, amazon has only three models available, Kobo has a lot more than that.
The prime features I hear people saying about their Kobos is the fine control you can have over fonts, display, formatting; and the open nature and tweakability of the device.

Also Calibre-controlled collections.

But Pocket is good too. I use it for SF stories from online magazines, and have not had any trouble with it not recognising them or displaying properly.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:21 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Whether a page is added to Kobo or not is not up to Kobo; rather its dependent on how Pocket classifies the content.

Kobo will only display what Pocket has classified as an ARTICLE, which I think means what Pocket has stored as a cleaned up, simplified version of the content.

If you see stuff that does not get stored as an article, get in touch with Pocket support and have them investigate the issue.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:15 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Checking the Kobo U.S. site today, I see only three devices listed for sale?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:28 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Checking the Kobo U.S. site today, I see only three devices listed for sale?
Yep, that's what I've seen also. I think the rumors are there will be a new Touch soon -- some were hoping for a new Mini also. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:

http://calibre-ebook.com

Quote:
http://waterfi.com/waterproof-kindle

Quote:
As has been said, Kobo has only three models available as well.

Notwithstanding that, there are some actual differences between Kindle and Kobo. Chiefly spoken of is the wealth of customizable settings for most aspects of the layout.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:52 PM   #12
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Thanks everyone for all of the feedback on Pocket - this has touched on what I was trying to ask the other day in my thread too! I have experienced quite a few articles that won't go over to my Kobo via Pocket, but assumed that's because they were either heavy in photos, had some sort of login/credentials issue that may be at the root of it, or because maybe Pocket refuses to count some blogs as "articles"? I would have to do a bit more testing to see which particular websites are the culprits.

As far as Kobo goes, I was using my Sony reader for awhile, then came back to my Kobo after many months and was once again blown away by the amount of font and customization options! To some it is not an issue, but it sure is nice to have those options available "just because".
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:02 AM   #13
modified
Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Just wanted to update with my experience so far with Pocket (in Chrome). Save for the one time when it decided to strip all the images from an article, Pocket has been working really well!

In fact, I've been using Pocket-formatted pages for sites that Send to Kindle rejected. A real easy workaround for a problem that I've encountered with image-heavy pages.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:39 PM   #14
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Before I went on holiday last week I loaded a bunch more articles onto my Pocket account, and most of them pulled over nicely to my Kobo Mini. Quite pleased with Pocket and how it works - doesn't seem to have any problem synching between devices either, so I can use it on my tablet, eReader, phone, etc. Still prefer to read the image-intensive stuff on my tablet of course.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:12 PM   #15
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
For a while I've been getting an email list of articles recommended by Pocket. I've gotten this sort of list in the past from other sources and I've usually been disappointed in their ideas about what might be interesting. But the Pocket suggestions include some really good articles and I'm impressed.

As for pictures not formatting properly with Pocket if I had my choice I'd get text only in the articles. Actually I think so far I have gotten only text and I'm not sure if that's because pictures haven't made it or there haven't been any. Whatever the reason I'm glad and I hope if it's a bug they'll start calling it a feature.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote