Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Sony PRS-505 Screen "ghosting" afterimage

Hello all, as I'm sure it shows, I have a PRS-505. I've had it for about 6 months or so. I've noticed a persistent afterimage of the previous text now appearing whenever I turn a page. This is different from the normal occasional previous text impression that you get, this is a constant noticeable (or more noticeable) almost like faint white ink transposed with the text. For instance, when reading a book, I can see light impressions of the numbers on the side which will remain until the 2nd or 3rd page turn. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed such a thing, any recommendations, etc. There hasn't been any new banging of the device and I'm left with the impression that this may be a time related thing.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I've not noticed this happening on my 505 which I've had since January
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
No ghosting here. Been using mine since October and run a few hundred books through it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:26 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
Hello all, as I'm sure it shows, I have a PRS-505. I've had it for about 6 months or so. I've noticed a persistent afterimage of the previous text now appearing whenever I turn a page. This is different from the normal occasional previous text impression that you get, this is a constant noticeable (or more noticeable) almost like faint white ink transposed with the text. For instance, when reading a book, I can see light impressions of the numbers on the side which will remain until the 2nd or 3rd page turn. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed such a thing, any recommendations, etc. There hasn't been any new banging of the device and I'm left with the impression that this may be a time related thing.
Vizplex is not supposed to be ghosting. I would suggest you contact Sony for warranty repair. It seems you have a problem with your screen. I got my 505 in October 2007 and no ghosting at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

$29.00 under a flat exchange program, now I just have to find my reciept. I'm gonna exchange it, I'll let everyone know how painful/painless the process is.
Advert
Old 05-23-2008, 03:38 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
$29.00 under a flat exchange program, now I just have to find my reciept. I'm gonna exchange it, I'll let everyone know how painful/painless the process is.
What's $29 to exachange what?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
$29 not bad really
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #8
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What's $29 to exachange what?

BOb
$29 to exchange my PRS-505 which has a previous ink impression from words displayed problem. Unfortunately I paid cash for mine and I lost the reciept. The alternative is to buy a new one or pay $251.16 for an out of warranty exchange. I'm going to be searching for my reciept, if anyone has one that they want to scan in for me, I wouldnt' say no . Anyway will update, the problem has gotten slightly worse, I can see the impression of the words even with the unit turned off now.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:49 AM   #9
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Hi all, does anybody get any ghosting with the Sony Reader? I've only had one for a few days, but it does have ghosting ONLY when i plug it into charge. When the little "connected to USB" ICON shows up on the screen, I see ghosting of whatever image was previously on the screen before I plugged it in.

Now I'm afraid that a few months down the line, I'll have ghosting problems when I read. I bought my Sony Reader on ebay and paid more because it came with the Xchange card ($30 value) but did not get a receipt. I was not aware that I needed a receipt, but now unless the seller (who has not responded to any of my communications, although he did send the product) can dig up the receipt and send it to me.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #10
jason.rs
jason.rs began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
ghosting after-image

I have ghosting when the unit is plugged in via USB, but that's about it. When I first received my 505, I had ghost images every time I shut down the device or put it in sleep mode. The images were barely visible, but still there. After about a few weeks, it stopped... so... problem solved? I dunno, now it only has a faint image when plugged in but I think that may be normal or intended. Other than that, it works like a dream.

P.S. I did let my 505 sit for about a week (on suspend) while on vacation, and then noticed the ghosting was apparantly gone, so maybe something to think about?
jason.rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
Hucairz
Hucairz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Andriod M001 Tablet, Navman ICN520 PDA
Hi Folks,

I've had my 505 for two weeks now, and have just noticed a very faint banding when the screen is off.

There are very faint light bands across the screen where the previously displayed text has been, larger if the previous font was large.

They don't always appear - and are not visible if the screen prior to switch off was the menu.

The screen is perfect when on - so I'm not going to worry about it yet!
Hucairz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's just ghosting, which is inherent in eInk screens. Don't worry about it - it's not a fault.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:01 PM   #13
Hranostak
Hranostak began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS 505
Hi,
I've had similar problem when reading PDF (and only PDF) files. Does it the same thing when reading other fomats (txt) ?. This problem was removed by new firmware.
Petr
Hranostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #14
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
It may be that using the 500/505 in 2 color B/W mode, that the .5 seconds is too fast for the screen to refresh.

Can you see if you still have ghosting effect in 4 or 8 tint b/w?
Or run ebooks fromSD card,and/or other formats.

This should be slower to refresh a page (0,8s),but I imagine the ghosting would be less.

Also my impression is that the ghosting happening when plugging in the AC adaptor or USB cable comes from the higher voltage the system is running on.
The internal battery provides (I guess) 3,7V. 3,0V is the minimum for those electronic components to function on. By plugging in the AC adaptor or USB cable you feed the device with 5VDC.

The screen itself gets loaded with a higher voltage (can anyone confirm if the contrast,if when plugged in you get a more dark or intense imprint of the ink?)

Higher voltage probably means the screen gets too little time to discharge the remnant voltage in 0,8 or 0,5 seconds.

The ghosting should also get less the longer you use the device, and the more the battery gets empty.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:49 AM   #15
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
It may be that using the 500/505 in 2 color B/W mode, that the .5 seconds is too fast for the screen to refresh.

Can you see if you still have ghosting effect in 4 or 8 tint b/w?
Or run ebooks fromSD card,and/or other formats.

This should be slower to refresh a page (0,8s),but I imagine the ghosting would be less.

Also my impression is that the ghosting happening when plugging in the AC adaptor or USB cable comes from the higher voltage the system is running on.
The internal battery provides (I guess) 3,7V. 3,0V is the minimum for those electronic components to function on. By plugging in the AC adaptor or USB cable you feed the device with 5VDC.

The screen itself gets loaded with a higher voltage (can anyone confirm if the contrast,if when plugged in you get a more dark or intense imprint of the ink?)

Higher voltage probably means the screen gets too little time to discharge the remnant voltage in 0,8 or 0,5 seconds.

The ghosting should also get less the longer you use the device, and the more the battery gets empty.

I ended up getting another one but the ghosting remained even after a variable resistor adjustment that was supposed to fix the contrast. It was evident no matter what the source file or location. It happened whether it was plugged in or not and was very very evident. It's unmistakable when/if it starts happening. I did drop it a couple of times so that might have been the cause.

The ghosting did disappear after about 10 days of no battery charge but came back a couple of days later.

I still have it and it still "works", I'll dig it out and take a pic so you guys can see what I meant.