Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 03:38 AM   #1
bigreat
bigreat began at the beginning.

[Old Thread] ubuntu 0.6.46 ERROR: No internet connection

Hi,

I just installed the 0.6.46 on my x64 ubuntu. However, whenever I tried to fetch news. it gives me:
ERROR: No internet connection: Cannot download news as no internet connection is active
bigreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:42 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you are not using NetworkManager, make sure it is not running.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 01:16 AM   #3
bigreat
bigreat began at the beginning.

Not really sure how to stop NetworkManager?
bigreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:18 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

uninstall it.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
lorenzov
lorenzov began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS600, Apple iPhone 3G
a similar problem occurred to me after upgrade to ubuntu 10.04 after which the Calibre gave me the 'no internet connection' error above.

i can confirm that uninstalling the network manager packages solved the problem
lorenzov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
jama
jama began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
I have the same problem.
I have Ubuntu 9.04, Gnome 2.26.1 and Calibre 0.6.53
I did uninstall gnome-network-manager, but it's the same.
What must I uninstall exactly?
Thank in advance
jama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jama View Post
I have the same problem.
I have Ubuntu 9.04, Gnome 2.26.1 and Calibre 0.6.53
I did uninstall gnome-network-manager, but it's the same.
What must I uninstall exactly?
Thank in advance
I have no clue, I'm just curious did you reboot after you uninstalled the network manager?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

look for any package with networkmanager in the name/description
Old 05-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
jama

Yes, I did reboot.
I'm founding for another package with name network manager now.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
jama

I did uninstall network-manager and network-manager-gnome package and fetch news is working without problems.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:16 AM   #11
stanssongs
stanssongs began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
I installed calibre with the hope of downloading and saving to e books i get the same error no internet connection, when I have a connection, but, What happens when you uninstall network manager everything still work? I have no way of repairing system if I break the network connection without maybe installing g-debi or somethiing.
I am not knowledgeable enough yet in linux like many calibre users I suspect... so I think i will just uninstall or give up on calibre instead, though I really liked it, seems like a Great program, I converted some pdf's, so maybe If I read instructions more, and learn how I can import HTML and convert to e book? well on second thought, I suppose Open Office would convert to .pdf then use calibre to convert to other formats ...

Last edited by stanssongs; 10-08-2011 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Forgot to say something
stanssongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
khromov
Connoisseur
khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Had this issue with Debian Wheezy.

Removing network-manager package solved it.

I think the issue occures when network-manager is active but not managing the interface used to connect to the internet.
khromov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by khromov View Post
Had this issue with Debian Wheezy.

Removing network-manager package solved it.

I think the issue occures when network-manager is active but not managing the interface used to connect to the internet.
Moderator Notice
Please don't Necro-post. ( Check date of the last message posted). If the date is more than 6 months old, the version of Calibre has bee superseded almost 24 times and the problem has been either resolved or no longer relevant.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #14
khromov
Connoisseur
khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
@theducks,

Is your notice an automated message?

Because it's pretty clear from my message that the issue still exists in Calibre and that it is still highly relevant.

In fact, it might not even be a Calibre issue but rather a Python one.
khromov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
LOOK AT THE DATE of the last post.

Don't you think there would be more recent posts if your theory was valid?

Calibre is at now at Version .9.26, your post was on a version .6.46 thread
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote