Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Comments on these public domain epub sources?

When searching for PD epubs, I have come across a few sites repeatedly - I do check MR first, of course. If you have experience with one or more of these, please comment on the typical quality of the epubs from these sites:

Feedbooks.com (epubs seem better on average than PG and manybooks)
booksshouldbefree.com (they have many PD audiobooks, too)
ebooks@Adelaide (http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/)
epubbooks.com

Thanks,
Lee
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
All appear to be legal distributors of public domain and non-public domain books. I've only downloaded books from feedbooks.com, but the rest look good.

You might also look at the mother of all public domain books at Gutenberg. I suspect that nearly all of the public domain books were first acquired there.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
The only name on that list that I recognize is Feedbooks. The books I got were well formatted.

Mostly, though, I check out Project Gutenberg, too.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
The University of Adelaide site has a very wide range, they're very well formatted, and they're are not derived from Project Gutenberg - at least, the ones I've read.

Last edited by AlexBell; 01-20-2013 at 12:00 AM.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #5
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
The University of Adelaide site has a very wide range, they're very well formatted, and they're are not derived from Project Gutenberg - at least, the ones I've read.
Yes, my observation so far puts Feedbooks and Adelaide at the top as far as combining breadth and some standard of quality. They often each have a copy of a book I am looking for. The Feedbooks versions seem to closer to true epubs, in that the Adelaide books have some html in them that works well, for example, in Calibre's reader, but not on the Nook; also the Adelaide epubs have an epub TOC with only one entry, and a full inline html TOC. Still, they are pretty nicely done.

The Project Gutenberg epubs are, in my experience, not as well put together as either of these. I sometimes store a PG epub simply as a reminder that I want to find a better copy in the future. I keep track by marking the source as PG in Calibre.

I've very recently downloaded a number of books from booksshouldbefree and epubbooks.com, when neither Feedbooks or Adelaide had that book - but have not yet done a quality check across them. I figured I wasn't the first to come across these sources, and someone would know if I was wasting my time.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:29 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Be careful if you use Adelaide: many of their books are not in the US public domain.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
derangedhermit
Addict

Thanks, Harry. When I look for a book I just do a google search for the book (and maybe author) and the word "epub". I already know if it is in the public domain in the US. Adelaide often shows up in the search results.

Still, it's good to know, since for good source sites, I may work my way through the library, as I have done for MR.

If anyone has a "best sites" short list for high-quality epubs, I'm
Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Wow loads of H.P. Lovecraft books on http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au
will download them all when I get home..
(I live in Australia BTW).
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
Wow loads of H.P. Lovecraft books on http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au
will download them all when I get home..
(I live in Australia BTW).
Also a crapton of Lovecraft here in the MobileRead library.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Also a crapton of Lovecraft here in the MobileRead library.
cool thanx.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
Joan M
Did someone say Python?
Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite, Nook Tablet
Yes, the Adelaide site has loads of titles people would actually want to read. My hat's off to them.
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:33 AM   #12
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Be careful if you use Adelaide: many of their books are not in the US public domain.
I won't tell on people who use Adelaide if you don't.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:42 AM   #13
Joan M
Did someone say Python?
Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite, Nook Tablet
Hey, I visited Launceston one time long ago! Is it smokey up by you or is that just down Hobart way?
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote