Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Ads at the end of books?
Sure! I don't mind the suggestion at the end of what to read next. 63 58.88%
Meh. 24 22.43%
No, I do not like the idea at all. 15 14.02%
I have a special opinion. I will love it and squeeze it and call it George. 5 4.67%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #16
Keloff
Electronic media explorer
Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle (6" Display, Global Wireless, Latest Generation), iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Here I'm thinking of the retro full page ads that used to occur at the ends of books that advertised the author's next/other books and/or similar authors in the genre.
Those ads helped me discover new books - especially if this was my first time reading the author. Though a Goodreads/Shelfari search can do the same thing, having the same information inside the book itself is very convenient.
Keloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #17
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
B&N has started printing out "reading recommendations" along with your receipt when you buy a book in the store.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #18
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I don't mind them and I rarely read them. If they're ads for other books by the author and I've enjoyed the book I just finished, I will read the ads. If the ads are from the publisher promoting other books they publish that are similar to the one I just finished, again, if I enjoyed it I might check out the ads.

For me, it's not a big deal one way or the other.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #19
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I don't mind "here are some more books you might like" ads at the end of paper books, so I don't think I'd mind them at the end of ebooks, either. I'd only be annoyed if more than 10% of the book was ads, which I think has actually happened to me before. It's pretty jarring to be 89% into a book and suddenly it's the end.
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #20
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Doesn't Amazon place ads for similar texts at the end of texts you have read? Feedbooks would show you a listing of texts that readers of the current text also read. They seemed to be helpful for reading.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #21
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I wouldn't think there was a problem if they weren't overly massive.

PS. I like multi-choise polls more!
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #22
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekaros View Post
I wouldn't think there was a problem if they weren't overly massive.

PS. I like multi-choise polls more!
I know, I'm sorry. It's a separate checkbox and I always forget to check it.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #23
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I thought there are a couple of publishers doing that now...maybe Harlequin and Kensington? So if you've got an ebook where that publisher is doing it, then the bookseller adds on their bit, you could really end up with a bloated file!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #24
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Actually, having thought some more about it, ads anywhere in ebooks is the one thing which would probably turn me to the dark side big-time. But then, like I said, I really hate ads.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:56 AM   #25
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Doesn't Amazon place ads for similar texts at the end of texts you have read? Feedbooks would show you a listing of texts that readers of the current text also read. They seemed to be helpful for reading.
I like the Feedbooks list at the end. They are not intrusive and straight to the point. I have this feeling that if recommendations become mainstream in ebooks they will become just like recommendations in some paperbacks, a blurb and bunch of one liner reviews from people I have never heard from before. I don't read those recommendations.

Show me a list of authors and blurb about the book and I'll look at it. Fluff it out with other peoples opinions and I switch off.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #26
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Ads in books is a slippery slope.

I remember when paperbacks had single page glossy ads for commercial products (not book related).

If the publisher wants to add ads to the eBooks I buy, I have no problem with that. Provide they pay me to rent the the storage space consumed by those ads. After all, it is my eReader.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #27
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i don't mind if an author wants to plug his friends or seeing ads for books in a similar genre.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #28
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Ads in books is a slippery slope.

I remember when paperbacks had single page glossy ads for commercial products (not book related).

If the publisher wants to add ads to the eBooks I buy, I have no problem with that. Provide they pay me to rent the the storage space consumed by those ads. After all, it is my eReader.
I remember those.
Slick cardboard ads, usually for cigarettes.
I had a thin metal ruler and a box cutter just for them.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #29
weebil
weebil began at the beginning.

Device: none
In that realm, I am currently working on a companion recipe book for my novel, (bartending recipes, tips etc) and although I don't want it to be an unending mess of hyperlinks,(although tempting financially, my goal is not to alienate the reader) I would like to add a page at the end so readers can find the products I am speaking about. (a great Bloody Mary product, for instance) Obnoxious? What are your thoughts?
weebil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #30
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by weebil View Post
In that realm, I am currently working on a companion recipe book for my novel, (bartending recipes, tips etc) and although I don't want it to be an unending mess of hyperlinks,(although tempting financially, my goal is not to alienate the reader) I would like to add a page at the end so readers can find the products I am speaking about. (a great Bloody Mary product, for instance) Obnoxious? What are your thoughts?
Weebil, for this I would do one page that says "For recipes, tips, product recommendations, etc., go to [url]."

And then put all that content on a web site.

At the same time, make the web site public and put some SEO into it, so you can use it to promote your book.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote