Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
swallman
Enthusiast
swallman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Movies/Videos on Nook Color ?

Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to watch and videos on the Nook Color ? How do they look ? Any performance issues ?
swallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
bilbothejust
Enthusiast
bilbothejust is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad -> Nook Color
I watched several YouTube videos...yeah, they were good. No flash on websites like CNET TV so I'm going to assume HTML 5 what being used or an earlier version of flash.
bilbothejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by swallman View Post
Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to watch and videos on the Nook Color ? How do they look ? Any performance issues ?
They look good, but it can be really picky about the formats it will accept.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
swallman
Enthusiast
swallman began at the beginning.

Is it possible to sideloads Android apps (APK's) onto the Nook Color yet ? I use RockPlayer on my Droid X phone and it works great. Handles a lot of additional file types (Divx, Xvid, etc.)
swallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
Baka no Kami
Baka no Kami is on a distinguished road

Device: Baka no Kami
Quote:
Originally Posted by swallman View Post
Is it possible to sideloads Android apps (APK's) onto the Nook Color yet ? I use RockPlayer on my Droid X phone and it works great. Handles a lot of additional file types (Divx, Xvid, etc.)
It's not possible yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbothejust
I watched several YouTube videos...yeah, they were good. No flash on websites like CNET TV so I'm going to assume HTML 5 what being used or an earlier version of flash.
My understanding of the issue is that YouTube downgrades the quality of the video because the nookcolor's browser identifies itself as a mobile browser. YouTube assumes that mobile browsers are on 3g and it adjusts the streaming speed accordingly.

Edit: I hadn't tried YouTube out on the nookcolor before so I just did. When you load up the page it automatically redirects you to the mobile YouTube page. There's a link at the bottom to switch to the desktop version, but when I did that I wasn't able to load up any video as the desktop version is Flash only. Going back to the mobile page version I pulled up the Green Hornet trailer as a test. The page gave me two options, Normal and HQ. The normal version wasn't really watchable, the 'HQ' one was better.

Last edited by Baka no Kami; 11-22-2010 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Just tried it.
Baka no Kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
this thing looks fabulous as a video player. at that size screen and the distance i keep it 720p is really a waste of drive space.

a book reader is actually last on the list for what i bought this for. at $250 it's hard to find a better android tablet (hardware wise, software will hopefully catch up if they figure how to root it).
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
a book reader is actually last on the list for what i bought this for...
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
a book reader is actually last on the list for what i bought this for. at $250 it's hard to find a better android tablet (hardware wise, software will hopefully catch up if they figure how to root it).
Same here. Web browser and videos will be my primary uses for this device.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
bilbothejust
Enthusiast
bilbothejust is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad -> Nook Color
As to side loaded videos...B&N specs say mp4 is the supported format so I gave a few files a test drive.
Case 1: Simple 30Mb mp4 file = played fine. There is some lag to start
Case 2: HD TV grab converted to mp4 = played fine, excellent rendering...even longer lag
Case 3: Large 720p video (560Mb) mp4 = NC reported that this video was not supported

Conclusion: I don't know if it was because it was the frame rate or size or what...so if anyone has some ideas I'm all ears.

Cheers.
bilbothejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
miguelt678
miguelt678 began at the beginning.

I was able to play videos encoded for my iPhone.
miguelt678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #11
cybrdmn
cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nookcolor
video specs are in the User's Guide, I use MP4 encoded by CloneDVDmobile at 852x480 and they play great.
cybrdmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #12
s52m3
Enthusiast
s52m3 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Would this device be suitable for taking a DVD/Divx/Whatever and converting it to the supported mp4 format for watching on an airplane? I wonder how long the battery lasts if you're watching a movie, especially if it's HD?
s52m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #13
therealguppy
therealguppy began at the beginning.

Your NOOkcolor supports the following video file formats: 3gp, 3g2, mp4, m4v; MPEG-4 Simple Profile up to 854x480; H.263 up to 352x288; H.264 Baseline profile up to 854x480

Your NOOKcolor will not support the following video file formats: Flash (Flv/swf); Mov/qt; AVI; MKV; Xvid/divx; WMV / VC-1; H.264 Main and High profile; and videos with a resolution higher than 854x480

I use Handbrake and use the standard IPhone format and just up the Rez to stay below the 854x480 and it works Beautifully,
therealguppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:06 PM   #14
Mac Jones
Connoisseur
Mac Jones began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealguppy View Post
Your NOOkcolor supports the following video file formats: 3gp, 3g2, mp4, m4v; MPEG-4 Simple Profile up to 854x480; H.263 up to 352x288; H.264 Baseline profile up to 854x480

Your NOOKcolor will not support the following video file formats: Flash (Flv/swf); Mov/qt; AVI; MKV; Xvid/divx; WMV / VC-1; H.264 Main and High profile; and videos with a resolution higher than 854x480

I use Handbrake and use the standard IPhone format and just up the Rez to stay below the 854x480 and it works Beautifully,
I don't have the patience to spend hours converting a movie into another format. I mean, for me movies are sort of better on larger screens?

Also, when they are watched, they're watched.....next
Mac Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:33 PM   #15
therealguppy
therealguppy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Jones View Post
I don't have the patience to spend hours converting a movie into another format. I mean, for me movies are sort of better on larger screens?

Also, when they are watched, they're watched.....next
I Don't spend hours converting movies, My computer does , Just setup a Que and let it run while I'm at work.

I completely understand the frustrations of having to convert files tho, Once this is Rooted and we can install a better player we wont have that problem
therealguppy is offline   Reply With Quote