Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
johnwhelan
Zealot
johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Cybook Gen 3, Google Nexus7
Changing epub font

I picked up a Google Nexus 7 recently for a totally different purpose than reading books but since it came with some credit I purchased Moon+ Reader Pro and tried it out.

I've been having problems with the font on some epub books from a couple of smaller publishers. Basically the serif font it comes was the only one that the Touch will use. I just assumed that the epub books were badly created and since its a smaller publisher didn't bother to much about it.

However with Moon+ Reader Pro reading the same ebook I can change the fonts to a sans serif one which I find easier to read on a screen.

I seem to recall that most books are printed at a minimum of 300 dots per inch, many at 1200 dots per inch and at these resolutions I read faster with a serif type face. Computer monitors are roughly 75 dots per inch and sans serif shows up better at this resolution, I suspect the Touch screen resolution is about 120 dots per inch and I do find it easier to read a sans serif typeface on the device.

Anyone any suggestions about how to change the font on the touch? Other than hope for yet another new version update?

Thanks John
johnwhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
I'm assuming you've tried going to the menu from within a book, tapping the "Aa" icon, and changing the font face from there?

If so, and it didn't work,

the font may be set in the stylesheet of the book. The Kobo devices don't override those, though I could be mistaken. To fix this, you can either delete the font setting in the stylesheet of the book, or delete the stylesheet altogether.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
johnwhelan
Zealot
johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I'm assuming you've tried going to the menu from within a book, tapping the "Aa" icon, and changing the font face from there?

If so, and it didn't work,

the font may be set in the stylesheet of the book. The Kobo devices don't override those, though I could be mistaken. To fix this, you can either delete the font setting in the stylesheet of the book, or delete the stylesheet altogether.
You assume correctly about the Aa icon etc.

So how would I set about changing the style sheet of the book? Can it be done in Calibre? or do I need something else?

Thanks John
Old 10-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwhelan View Post
You assume correctly about the Aa icon etc.

So how would I set about changing the style sheet of the book? Can it be done in Calibre? or do I need something else?

Thanks John
Yes, Calibre can strip the formatting so you will be able to change it on the Kobo. I don't remember all the settings, sorry, but there's info in threads here if you search around.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
In calibre, you can run book conversion from epub to epub, and when converting, select everything from under "Filter style information" in page "Look and Feel".

That will strip almost all formatting
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
johnwhelan
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDown View Post
In calibre, you can run book conversion from epub to epub, and when converting, select everything from under "Filter style information" in page "Look and Feel".

That will strip almost all formatting
Works perfectly

Thanks John