Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #16
Stngray
Stngray began at the beginning.

Device: nook STR, iPhone 4, 3G iPad
Glare is a problem on the iPad, even at home. If you have any lighting behind you, the potential for glare exists. I used the SGP AF film to fix this. It is a matte finish film, that does slightly degrade the display, but makes it much more usable and glare a non issue. FWIW, I have almost completely replaced my nook with the iPad. It is the best solution I have found so far for tech PDF's.
Stngray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:33 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
"Long enough" for me means, I can do an entire business trip without caring about charging.
My iPhone didn't even "survive" the 4.5 hours train ride to my headquarters.
iPad can do slightly more. But with WiFi on, I only make about 7 to 8 hours. That's totally fine, compared to my (now mainly replaced) UMPC Samsung Q1.
But it's still way less than I can do with PocketBook 360, Sony 505 or any other of my favorites.
But it's the WiFi that's doing that. Turn it off, and the battery life goes up dramatically. Using the iPad purely as a reader, and turning off WiFi and 3G, I get 20h+ battery life. With WiFi and 3G on, but infrequently used, it's perhaps 10-12h.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 03:38 AM   #18
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But it's the WiFi that's doing that. Turn it off, and the battery life goes up dramatically. Using the iPad purely as a reader, and turning off WiFi and 3G, I get 20h+ battery life. With WiFi and 3G on, but infrequently used, it's perhaps 10-12h.
"Hen and egg", as we say in Germany....
I'd never take iPad with me as a sole reader. Neither did I take Kindle DX or iRex 1000S with me on a trip. Too bulky, not comfortable enough to hold for hours on a train ride.
So I'll only take iPad with me as a multi-functional device. And then WiFi is the most important aspect for me.
My solution right now is, taking iPad as my "surf station" and PocketBook 360 as my reader.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:09 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We say "chicken and egg" in English . Yes, I understand what you mean, but for me, the iPad can replace both a netbook and a bookreader for travel. For example, I've been using my iPad at work for two full working days and, and starting a third now. Checking my e-mail roughly once an hour, reading, etc. The battery is currently at 68%. Switching off WiFi if you're not using it at the time does dramatically increase battery life.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:05 AM   #20
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
As any other electronic device, it's how much you use it and what you use it for that effects battery life. If your Pocketbook 360 had a light and wifi and 3G, it would get worse battery life than the iPad. If you dim the light and turn off WIFI on the iPad, you will get way more battery life than with the light on full and WIFI and 3G on. You really can't compare the battery life of the two, because they are two different things entirely. Sort of like comparing the PocketBook to a watch, the watch battery last a year without charging..... but of course it is a completely different device than the PocketBook or the iPad......

But, compared to similarly equipped and capable devices, the iPad battery is amazing.

Regarding the original subject matter of the thread.... I hate anything on a screen so I leave my screens naked. Sometimes outside I get some glare, but a little tilt one way or another and if clears up. Not a biggie for me. But, I know that kind of thing can really bug some people.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #21
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
glare a big problem? google "ipad anti glare film" and you'll get hits on quite a few products.

if 10 hr battery life isn't enough for your working day, maybe you should work fewer hours. there are roses to smell.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:38 PM   #22
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
if 10 hr battery life isn't enough for your working day, maybe you should work fewer hours. there are roses to smell.
I've written "...I can do an entire business trip". Usually, my business trips are from 1 to 3 days. Let's assume 2 train rides = 6 to 8 hours, 1 to 2 evenings in the hotel = maybe 5 hours, some breaks = maybe 3 hours. This easily can add up to 15+ hours. Of course I can re-charge the iPad in the hotel. But I guess we've all made that experience: Any unit usually needs charging, when its the most inconvenient timing. It's great to have a unit with you, which easily can stand those 2 to 3 days.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #23
M_Agnum
Bezos > Jobs
M_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
glare a big problem? google "ipad anti glare film" and you'll get hits on quite a few products.

Supposedly those anti-glare films degrade the viewing experience. Unfortunately, I do not know anyone with an iPad, much less an iPad with anti-glare film.
M_Agnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:26 PM   #24
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
well.. you can't have it both ways. want to cut glare, add a film or coating. non-glossy monitors (remember those?) have a coating on them to cut glare. same difference. they even make "privacy" film that will keep your neighbor from reading your screen.

most glare is easily eliminated by tilting a few degrees to change the angle of the light.

fact is, anything with a glass surface is going to reflect light. anything with a clear plastic surface is going to as well. i used my sony 600 with a reading light, i'd get horrible glare off of that at the wrong angle, and the eink was horrible to read in less than full light. pick your poison.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #25
Bluebaize
Enthusiast
Bluebaize doesn't litterBluebaize doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Quote:
fact is, anything with a glass surface is going to reflect light. anything with a clear plastic surface is going to as well. i used my sony 600 with a reading light, i'd get horrible glare off of that at the wrong angle, and the eink was horrible to read in less than full light.
I had an iRex DR1000s and that was the best I had found for PDFs (until the iPad), especially with diagrams and programming code examples using slightly different fonts and weight of lines for showing various meanings.

It too had reflections, but these I found minor and never really noticed unless I deliberately looked for them. I didn't have any real problem with needing a light although I never read in the dark black (but did late at night ok and never found the eink horrible or hard to read)

I sold that and got an iPad originally as it was a more useful piece of kit and I could do more on it, but even just as a reader I wouldn't look back. I think it is by far the best and has so many reading apps that you can tailor it to exactly what you want reading wise. I guess there is a screen shield/filter somewhere that will help those that have glare issues, but due to popularity of apple kit I bet there are hundreds to choose from already.

Quote:
pick your poison.
I remember we used to say "Pick it and stick it, or leave it and grieve it" when we looked at anything new (tech or otherwise) and were indecisive.
Bluebaize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:26 AM   #26
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
There are some solutions:

Anti-Glare iPad screen protectors:

http://osxdaily.com/2010/07/19/anti-...en-protectors/

Review:

http://ipadinsight.com/ipad-accessor...for-apple-ipad

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````````

ClearTouch Anti-Glare:

http://boxwave.com/products/cleartou...-ipad_3779.htm

Before:

After:

Take a look here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=860421

Search for more:
http://google.com/search?q=anti glare for ipad&tbs=shop:1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glare without cleartouch.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	71149   Click image for larger version

Name:	less glare with cleartouch.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	71150  
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:00 AM   #27
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
As I like indirect lightning I have few problems with reading on the ipad. And even at the office I just get bothered a little. But I already got used to it.... No antiglare sticker stuff
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #28
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
I once tried one of those anti-glare/screenprotector thingies on my iphone. It lasted 5 minutes.

I just could not give up on the responsiveness of the touchscreen for something like glare which doesn't bother me at all @99% of the time I use my ipad/iphone.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #29
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
I tried one of them it's name "ScreenWard" for iPhone (as I remember) it was very thick, and there is no affected for touch.
After I use it I never bothered by glare !
It was cheap also, costed me less than 2.5$.

It is maybe:
http://www.adpo.net/en/iphone.asp

Last edited by meem; 05-09-2011 at 02:38 PM.
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #30
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I've written "...I can do an entire business trip". Usually, my business trips are from 1 to 3 days. Let's assume 2 train rides = 6 to 8 hours, 1 to 2 evenings in the hotel = maybe 5 hours, some breaks = maybe 3 hours. This easily can add up to 15+ hours. Of course I can re-charge the iPad in the hotel. But I guess we've all made that experience: Any unit usually needs charging, when its the most inconvenient timing. It's great to have a unit with you, which easily can stand those 2 to 3 days.
Are you speaking from experience with your iPad? I do not find plugging my iPad in at night to be a hassle. It lasts "all day" for me and that's WITH wifi on. I don't need my iPad to last three days without charging. But if I DID, I'm not sure what the alternative would be. None of my computers last that long without needing to be plugged in.

Sure, an eInk reader lasts much longer -- but they don't do what my iPad does.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote