Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Mmm, no sim card ? How does it work then ?
Verizon use CDMA, not GSM. CDMA doesn't have a SIM card.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #17
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
So, how does that work when you change phone ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
So, how does that work when you change phone ?
It's real easy. I just call up Verizon and they activate my new phone; or I can do it online.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #19
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalex View Post
I don't want my phone to have crapware loaded by my phone company. I want to load it myself. If I use kindle, I would download the app and install it. I don't use kindle and since preloaded apps are not removable I would be pretty pissed off for having on my new phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtx99 View Post
It's great for those of us who would use the Kindle app, but it has also led to some 1-star reviews in the Android market from people who are upset because they can't remove the app from their phone.
I'm glad I got my phone last year in that case, the only thing preloaded was the navigator app which wasn't too bad, but was way too expensive for what it did, or rather didn't do. I hate preloaded stuff on things that then you need to remove yourself - I'll have to watch out for that next year when I get a new phone.

Regarding the topic at hand - pretty smart move on Amazon's part. I agree that the next step would be "first book free" in order to get people to use it, otherwise it'll just sit there ignored with the rest of the bloat.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:25 AM   #20
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It's real easy. I just call up Verizon and they activate my new phone; or I can do it online.
Just putting the sim card in the new phone is even easier. You're not dependant on the oprator at all.
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 04:11 AM   #21
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
What operator? You just dial a number and it automatically activates your new phone (while also deactivating your old one). That sounds easier to me than opening the phones to move a card between them.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:12 AM   #22
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post
What operator? You just dial a number and it activates your new phone. That sounds easier to me than opening the phones to move a card between them.
And what if you want to to an other operator and keep your phone ?
When i went to germany, I was able to use a german prepaid simcard without problem.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #23
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I am not sure about the Kindle app on the new verizon phones but in many cases, they don't actually put the real application on the phone but merely a loader program. You run that very small loader and it then installs the app. But maybe they did actually install the full app. Verizon has also entered into an agreement with Microsoft - the default search engine in the BB browser on their newer phones is Bing and you canNOT change it to Google (you can change it to wiki or Dictionary.com). You can obviously create a bookmark for Google.

As a verizon customer, until I got a "world phone" I did not even know what a sim card was. Some verizon phones do have a sim card - their world phones and after a call to get them unlocked you can use foreign sim cards (outside of the US and with some effort, even inside the US from what I read).
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just putting the sim card in the new phone is even easier. You're not dependant on the oprator at all.
True, but Verizon doesn't do sim cards.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Some verizon phones do have a sim card - their world phones...
Hmmm, I didn't know that. I always get the free flip phones.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #26
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Verizon, Sprint, and a few other networks here in the US are CDMA networks which hardly anyone else in the world uses. It does limit the consumer to particular phones and they generally won't work overseas but since I haven't been out of the US in 10 years, it's not an issue. Verizon also has phones available that in addition to using the CDMA network have a SIM chip and can switch between networks.

The last Dell PC I purchased made the 10 Worst PCs by PC World list. Like most manufactured PCs it used proprietary components that were very expensive to buy. When my power supply died, the least expensive price was US$120. The power supply also took the memory sticks and most of the motherboard with it. Instead of repairing the one month out of warranty PC, I took $500 and built a very nice machine which I've since turned into a file server. Yes, it's a little bit of work but I can easily upgrade and replace at a lower cost than with an off the shelf PC.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #27
EowynCarter
Wizard

Dell uses standard stuff now. One the the reason i like them. No problem with updating my inspirion
Old 10-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #28
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
re: verizon sim cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Hmmm, I didn't know that. I always get the free flip phones.

When I was looking for a new phone about 3 years ago, I wanted a phone that I might be able to use in Europe. Verizon only had about 2 or 3 such models. They were somewhat limited and could only be used overseas on gsm networks - they did not have the radio to use the gsm networks in the US. The one I got was a Blackberry 8830 which was called a World Edition. It contained a sim card for use on verizon allies in europe. You could call and get the SLOT unlocked and than use european sim cards. It worked splendidly when I was in Europe in 2009. I used the verion sim.

I have since upgraded to a newer phone "world phone" - a Blackberry 9650 (bold). These new phones actually have radios that can use US-gsm networks like AT&T (you need to do some not hard but special stuff to use in US). They work fine in europe (and other places) with with the verizon sim (expensive in some cases) or you can use foreign sim but data might be limited.

Now to bring this back to ereader/Kindle3 in my case - it would be nice if someone could figure out how I can tether my wi-fi only kindle with the BB's 3g data????
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #29
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I'm glad I got my phone last year in that case...
I wouldn't celebrate too long. While I had my Storm BB phone Verizon pushed down several apps. Or rather links to the apps. They can very likely do the same for your phone.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #30
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I am not sure about the Kindle app on the new verizon phones but in many cases, they don't actually put the real application on the phone but merely a loader program. You run that very small loader and it then installs the app. But maybe they did actually install the full app. ...
I think that might be true with the less capable smartphones. From my experience the Android devices tend to have them preinstalled. The Kindle for my Vibrante was pre-installed but that is T-Mobile.

BTW as buggy as the Kindle 4Droid is, it's still one of the better readers out there. It's the only one that has all of the following features, notation, highlighting, dictionary, Wiki, search and add sync.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote