Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2007, 12:56 PM   #1
ogghead
Junior Birdman
ogghead began at the beginning.

Smart quotes in RTF?

I have a number of books I've converted from Microsoft's .lit format to RTF. I like RTF because it's an open (enough) format and displays nearly as well as LRF on the Sony Reader.

I use ABC Lit Converter to create the RTF and then format it in OpenOffice. (I've also tried the same process, but converted to plain text and also tried MS Word.)

I cannot get "smart quotes" to show up as anything other than blocky characters or garbage on the Reader, although the documents look great in WordPad, MS Word, or OpenOffice. Same goes for the curly version of the apostrophe.

I'm using the same fonts the Reader does per someone's suggestion, but no luck. In the interim, I converted them all to standard quotes, but the true typeset opposing quotes look so much better, I'd love to know how to preserve them in RTF.
ogghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
cats
cats began at the beginning.

Device: TX
i got the same problem, very annoying, i tried to re-format it in Word, since my problem is all the " " and ' turns to ?, when i replace them all, i have to do it twice, first replace all ? to ", then replace all "" to ?", and leave all the words, like we're or you'd as we"re and you"d.
cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
I thought I was the only one with that problem. Thanks for the info.
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #4
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Sounds like a codepage problem to me.

When ABC lit convertor translated the HTML in the LIT file into RTF there was an implicit codepage conversion and the tool forgot to take care of converting certain character's codes between the two codepage's.

At the start of a BAEN RTF file you see the typical: {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252

That "\ansicpg1251" means all characters in the RTF file are in codepage 1252.

What "\ansicpg" do you find at the front of a ABC lit convertor RTF file?
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
When I used ABC Amber LIT Converter the ansicpg given was 0 (zero.) The exact outputcode was:
Quote:
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg0\uc1\deff0\deflang0\deflangfe0 {\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset1 Times New Roman;}
I use MS Word under WinXP and I have not encountered the problem if the single and double quotes were correct in the original document. I have had problems with this when converting from PDB files as many of them did not have "smart quotes" in them. (And judging from this preview box, MobileRead Forums also do not have them.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2007, 05:04 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've not had this problem with any of the Baen RTFs. It's easy enough, though, to convert the "smart quotes" into "straight quotes" before saving the file, if required.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
ogghead
Junior Birdman
ogghead began at the beginning.

Yes, but preserving the "smart quotes" was the goal here.

I found that the lit2lrs tool does preserve smart quotes correctly in most cases, and generates BBeB books that look good to me. (Thanks, waykohler!) So I've ditched RTF in favor of that for now, but I believe the codepage suggestion is likely to be the key for RTF.
ogghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:59 PM   #8
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I don't care much for ABC's Amber Lit converter. I find it does strange things, loses a lot of formatting and often will add spaces in the wrong places. Sometimes thousand's of spaces which is tiresome to correct.

I prefer ConvertLit GUI. I don't know if it will handle smart quotes but it's worth a try.

Get it here:

http://dukelupus.pri.ee/

I think how successful the conversion is depends on how the lit file was created originally. If the Lit file was made with a Microsoft HTML coded file then this can cause problems and also increases the file size. I have found that a better lit is created using the MS "Filtered" HTML or MS RTF format. At least, I find that these convert back much nicer with little or no editing to do.

Last edited by Moonraker; 01-23-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #9
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Code:
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg0\uc1\deff0\deflang0\deflangfe0 {\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset1 Times New Roman;}
I'd try converting that to

Code:
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\uc1\deff0\deflang0\deflangfe0 {\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset1 Times New Roman;}
And see what happens with your smart quotes.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote