Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you want physical page turn buttons?
Yes 134 62.62%
No 30 14.02%
Don't care 50 23.36%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #46
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I have a cat named Buttons, and Yes, I want to keep her
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:26 PM   #47
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I have a cat named Buttons, and Yes, I want to keep her
Just as well the vote seems to be coming out in your favour, then.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2015, 05:30 PM   #48
AnitainTN
Member, Nooks Anonymous
AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.

Device: SGTS2-8, Nook Color
I like swiping - "feels" like turning a page. And I'd rather have more screen space.

I **DO** want a home button, though.
AnitainTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:40 PM   #49
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I voted yes, because I live in an area notorious for inclement weather, and a touchscreen can be pretty tricky to handle within a plastic baggie to keep the rain off while I'm reading while waiting for the bus.

(I say this from experience trying to select a book to read on my Sony vs my K2, both of which have physical page turn buttons, but only one of which has a physical means of navigating the various menus.)
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:01 PM   #50
hubertphava
Connoisseur
hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hubertphava ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, Onyx-Boox Poke5
Definitively *YES!* ;-)

Buttons are one of the must-have, when i view for a new device.
I'd also like to have a button to *totally exclude* touchscreen, sometimes...

HP
hubertphava is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #51
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Wellllll I thought I did so I bought me a Voyage, but I tend to forget they are there and swipe.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:19 PM   #52
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I voted yes, because I live in an area notorious for inclement weather, and a touchscreen can be pretty tricky to handle within a plastic baggie to keep the rain off while I'm reading while waiting for the bus.

(I say this from experience trying to select a book to read on my Sony vs my K2, both of which have physical page turn buttons, but only one of which has a physical means of navigating the various menus.)
And, this morning I put my Paperwhite in a baggie to see how it worked. It worked fine. I wonder how that Kindle with buttons work after getting soaked in the rain?

Simply liking buttons is enough of a reason to want buttons. Me? I haven't had a television in twenty years because they abandoned the mechanical dial. Oddly enough, my life is much better with a Kindle and much better without a television. I've never actually seen that oxymoron of entertainment, Reality Televison.

Last edited by patrickt; 07-13-2015 at 08:21 PM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:26 PM   #53
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
And, this morning I put my Paperwhite in a baggie to see how it worked. It worked fine. I wonder how that Kindle with buttons work after getting soaked in the rain?
The entire point of the baggie is to keep the rain from even getting on, much less soaking into, my Kindle with buttons.

This has worked quite well for the past five years, whereas the touchscreen on the Sony has had an occasional tendency to respond to rain droplets hitting the baggie and thereby flipping back and forth through pages a lot faster than I intended to read them.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:05 AM   #54
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Simply liking buttons is enough of a reason to want buttons. Me? I haven't had a television in twenty years because they abandoned the mechanical dial. Oddly enough, my life is much better with a Kindle and much better without a television. I've never actually seen that oxymoron of entertainment, Reality Televison.
No problem
http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/12/l...-rotary-dials/

now go watch that reality tv
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:07 AM   #55
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I voted yes. But then again I'm still sticking to my Kindle WITH buttons
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #56
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
No problem

I thought about it and decided it would take more to get me to watch television again. But, maybe they'll make a Kindle Keyboard. I bought a new IBM Model "M" keyboard two-years ago.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #57
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
No problem

I wonder if you will need to jiggle the tuning to keep reception or hear the horrid crackle when changing the volume.

Retro, must have more Retro.

FWIW The turret tuner (the one with Knobs that clunked when turned) replaced a continuous smooth turning http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/mallory_inductuner.html model that was too difficult to use.
(TV signals had 2 parts, Picture and Sound. You needed to tune (center the channel) so both came in together)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:27 AM   #58
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I voted yes.

I read on a Fire HD6 most of the time, and screen swiping/tapping is an annoyance! The physical page-turn buttons on my Kindle Keyboard are so much easier on my fingers.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:55 PM   #59
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Don't care. As long as the screen displays words, I'm a happy camper.
Agreed. Doesn't matter to me.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #60
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I had Kindle Keyboard and I used it for 2 years before getting paperwhite 2.
I dont want the buttons on paperwhite 2. I don't miss them, I don't think about them. I like the touch screen.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote