Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Stack logs

I noticed today on my Glo that I had several stack logs.. can anyone tell me what these are for and why they would suddenly appear?

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Not exactly sure, I see a bunch spring up in my Touch from time to time, I tend to delete them; the date on them seems to correspond to UTC time rather than the local time zone. I think they get generated whenever the device hits an issue, one that does not necessary cause it to reset (or need a reset), a soft fault perhaps.

A follow up question if anyone really knows would be what happens to these logs, are they sent off to KOBO for dissection and feedback for coding issues (sort of what Microsoft does)?
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I noticed today on my Glo that I had several stack logs.. can anyone tell me what these are for and why they would suddenly appear?

Jack
They are error logs, usually created if you have a crash/reset of some sort on your Kobo (from my experience).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane1 View Post
A follow up question if anyone really knows would be what happens to these logs, are they sent off to KOBO for dissection and feedback for coding issues (sort of what Microsoft does)?
As far as I am aware, no they are created on the device, but they just sit there. We occasionally send one from the beta's if they are trying to track down a bug so they don't seem to be automatically uploaded at all. With Canadian privacy laws I doubt they would be able to have it upload without explicit permission.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting. I dont recall any lockups/crashes happening at any point.

I guess I will delete them and see what happens.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Interesting. I dont recall any lockups/crashes happening at any point.

I guess I will delete them and see what happens.
Deleting them won't hurt anything. They may have been there for a while. It's possible they could be created for errors beyond a crash or reset.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Deleting them won't hurt anything. They may have been there for a while. It's possible they could be created for errors beyond a crash or reset.
I did notice a stack.log file that was created after a book opened very slowly so I suspect a crash and recovery generates a log file. If it doesn't recover? I've noticed a few zero length files in the .kobo directory.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I did notice a stack.log file that was created after a book opened very slowly so I suspect a crash and recovery generates a log file. If it doesn't recover? I've noticed a few zero length files in the .kobo directory.
Hmm. So if these stack logs are created. Could they possibly be transmited to kobo for Investigation for issues with firmware?, on sync via wifi or desktop?
Old 02-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmm. So if these stack logs are created. Could they possibly be transmited to kobo for Investigation for issues with firmware?, on sync via wifi or desktop?
As far as I can tell from my monitoring, they are not automatically sent to Kobo. I did include one when I was going through filing a problem report and got a request for any others on my ereader. Never did find out if they were any use.

Regards,
David
Old 02-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As far as I can tell from my monitoring, they are not automatically sent to Kobo. I did include one when I was going through filing a problem report and got a request for any others on my ereader. Never did find out if they were any use.

Regards,
David
Well they have to be created for a reason. And if they are not transmited on sync then they are kind of useless it would seem to me. Also the fact that there were like 5 of and labled as such sequentially ie: _log1, _log2 etc would indicate that they would eventually eat up available space if they were not addressed. So does anyone from KOBO Central wanna weigh in on this issue? Clear the mystry up and bring enlightenment to us lowly users of all things Kobo? Prehaps Kobo could even go so far to explain what the files are used for how frequently the device might dump these files and how long they stay intact on the device. Because it seems to me that if I had not gone to look at something I would never have known they were there and I am guessing the avg Kobite never looks because they just dont do that sort of thing when they use the Kobo technology to enrich their life with Imagination and flights of Fantasy.

REgards

Jack
Old 02-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
I haven't noticed any on my Kobo but they sound a bit like crash dump files. What's inside them? If they're just text files, as I suspect, then maybe you could post the first 20 or so lines from one of them for those of us that haven't seen them.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
I haven't noticed any on my Kobo but they sound a bit like crash dump files. What's inside them? If they're just text files, as I suspect, then maybe you could post the first 20 or so lines from one of them for those of us that haven't seen them.
That was a good idea b4 I deleted them, They are gone unfortunately and I should have done that I suppose in Retrospect.

Regards

Jack
Old 02-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
They were explained in the beta group. They are stack dumps from crashes. At most 10 will be kept. The device cycles through the number. I don't believe they are automatically uploaded anywhere. The developers ask from them on the beta group and as the other David stated, support will as well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Here's a sample of the first and last few lines of the file from a old dump from v2.3.2.

OH THE HUMANITY!
pid: 751, tid: 751, rev: r45813
>>> /usr/local/Kobo/nickel <<<
signal 11 (SIGSEGV), code 1 (SEGV_MAPERR), fault addr 00000000
r0 00000000 r1 7ebfccd4 r2 02f8e2a4 r3 00000000
r4 7ebfccd4 r5 0331a1e0 r6 01138210 r7 038f5778
r8 038f5784 r9 01130bf0 10 2c6d03c8 fp 00000007
ip 2d431520 sp 7ebfccc8 lr 2c0b4eac pc 2c0b4d90 cpsr 60000010
#00 sp: 0x7ebfccc8 ip: 0x2c0b4d90 /usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0: _ZN10BookWidget13setCoverImageE7QPixmap+0x8
#01 sp: 0x7ebfccd0 ip: 0x2c0b4eac /usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0: _ZN10BookWidget12onImageReadyERK7QPixmapRK6VolumeR K7QString+0x30
#02 sp: 0x7ebfccf8 ip: 0x2fafbf8c /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/libQtCore.so.4.6.2: _ZN11QMetaObject8activateEP7QObjectPKS_iPPv+0x5d4
#03 sp: 0x7ebfcda0 ip: 0x2c7215ac /usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0: _ZN13ImageProvider10imageReadyERK7QPixmapRK6Volume RK7QString+0x34
#04 sp: 0x7ebfcdb8 ip: 0x2c37a6e4 /usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0: _ZN13ImageProvider15onSdCoverParsedERK6VolumeRK6QI mage+0x110
#05 sp: 0x7ebfce00 ip: 0x2c721848 /usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0: _ZN13ImageProvider11qt_metacastEPKc+0x28c
#06 sp: 0x7ebfce18 ip: 0x2fafbf8c /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/libQtCore.so.4.6.2: _ZN11QMetaObject8activateEP7QObjectPKS_iPPv+0x5d4
#07 sp: 0x7ebfcec0 ip: 0x2c73698c /usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0: _ZN18CoverImageProvider8sdParsedERK6Volume6QImage+ 0x34
#08 sp: 0x7ebfced8 ip: 0x2c49aecc /usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0: _ZN18CoverImageProvider22coverForSdVolumeParsedERK 6Volume6QImage+0x30
#09 sp: 0x7ebfcef8 ip: 0x2c736a84 /usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0: _ZN18CoverImageProvider11qt_metacastEPKc+0xa8
#10 sp: 0x7ebfcf30 ip: 0x2faf5ca0 /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/libQtCore.so.4.6.2:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
pid: 751, tid: 972
cannot get registers: No such process
unw_init_remote() failed: ret=-3
pid: 751, tid: 973
#00 sp: 0x3a219bd0 ip: 0x30b756b0 /lib/libc-2.11.1.so: __select+0x50
#01 sp: 0x3a219be0 ip: 0x2fb15108 /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/libQtCore.so.4.6.2: _Z14qt_safe_selectiP6fd_setS0_S0_PK7timeval+0xc8
#02 sp: 0x3a219c38 ip: 0x2fb19354 /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/libQtCore.so.4.6.2: _ZN27QEventDispatcherUNIXPrivate8doSelectE6QFlagsI N10QEventLoop17ProcessEventsFlagEEP7timeval+0x164
#03 sp: 0x3a219d20 ip: 0x2fb1a5e8 /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/libQtCore.so.4.6.2: _ZN20QEventDispatcherUNIX13processEventsE6QFlagsIN 10QEventLoop17ProcessEventsFlagEE+0xb4
#04 sp: 0x3a219d48 ip: 0x2fadfac4 /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/libQtCore.so.4.6.2: _ZN10QEventLoop13processEventsE6QFlagsINS_17Proces sEventsFlagEE+0x40
#05 sp: 0x3a219d60 ip: 0x2fadfff4 /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/libQtCore.so.4.6.2: _ZN10QEventLoop4execE6QFlagsINS_17ProcessEventsFla gEE+0x1a4
#06 sp: 0x3a219d98 ip: 0x2f9c04b8 /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/libQtCore.so.4.6.2: _ZN7QThread4execEv+0x138
#07 sp: 0x3a219dc0 ip: 0x2f9c3228 /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/libQtCore.so.4.6.2: _ZN7QThread11setPriorityENS_8PriorityE+0x328
#08 sp: 0x3a219dd8 ip: 0x308fba90 /lib/libpthread-2.11.1.so: __pthread_initialize_minimal+0x1c58
#09 sp: 0x3a219fa0 ip: 0x30b7cfb8 /lib/libc-2.11.1.so: clone+0x88
pid: 751, tid: 1148
unw_init_remote() failed: ret=-3

My favourite part is the first line for some reason.

Regards,
David
Old 02-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #14
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Oh, ok, so basically just regular old stack dumps then. Probably not of any use but to the Kobo devs. Thanks for that.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Oh, ok, so basically just regular old stack dumps then. Probably not of any use but to the Kobo devs. Thanks for that.
You're welcome.

Regards,
David