Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Nexus 7, manual update 4.2.2

The update didn't show on mine.
So I've searched for a way to force it:
In apps/all under "Google Services Framework" delete cache and data and stop the process.
Then again manually check for the update.
I only had to do this once, am updating right now.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
how do you manually check for updates? I must be tired because I'm drawing a blank.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
how do you manually check for updates? I must be tired because I'm drawing a blank.
Settings / About tablet / System updates ---> Check now.

Without the "trick" described in the first message, the update never showed up (it certainly would have shown eventually, but I didn't want to wait and try a few times per day). With the "trick", it came up immediately.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:34 AM   #4
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Didn't work for me. Still shows old version and tells me I am up to date.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
I guess it depends on your location or maybe serial number (I have no idea, what criteria Google is using to determine the candidates for update and the specific order).
Some forums stated, the update would be available in Germany, but it didn't show up on mine. The "trick" seems to have sped things up.
But if the update isn't available for you yet, the "trick" obviously doesn't change anything.
Anyway, seems to be a minor update. Some bug fixes, but no visible new features.
Advert
Old 02-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
My update came through on Friday night I think. When I turned it on on Saturday I had a message telling me that the 4.2.2 update had been downloaded and was ready to install. No manual intervention needed on my part (in fact, I hadn't even known about it before that).

I haven't really looked hard, but I can't see any visible differences.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:25 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
My update came through on Friday night I think. When I turned it on on Saturday I had a message telling me that the 4.2.2 update had been downloaded and was ready to install. No manual intervention needed on my part (in fact, I hadn't even known about it before that).
Same here. This is one of the reasons why I have a Nexus tablet. Having the latest version of Android as soon as it's released is a big plus.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I meant to come back and say 'thanks', but forgot. I knew how to update, and even did it just after getting it, but had forgotten. I didn't know about the clearing the cache or stopping the process, thought.

Anyway, Thank You.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
Hopskinny
Enthusiast
Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hopskinny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I tried the manual method suggested by the OP. I am afraid it didn't work for me. However, yesterday I fired up the Nexus to find that as I slept, the update to 4.2.2 had been downloaded and "did I want to install?".

I guess up here in New Zealand we just need to wait our turn until they get around to us. It always happens though, just when "they" are ready...
Hopskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #10
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
Me too. we have the same issue. Why is this? hahaha. I'm up tp date but shows the old version.
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicepattinson View Post
Me too. we have the same issue. Why is this? hahaha. I'm up tp date but shows the old version.
I tried again 2 days ago and shortly after it loaded the update.

One problem I have since doing this is that when I do on my PC to Google play it no longer sees my Nexus just my Nook Color. Have no idea how to get it recognized as if I go to Google play on the Nexus I am recognized and can install apps

P.S. Just went to google play and I am sync'd again

Last edited by goldberry; 02-22-2013 at 01:37 PM.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Same here. This is one of the reasons why I have a Nexus tablet. Having the latest version of Android as soon as it's released is a big plus.
Works OK here.
Mine is up-to-date.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
Works OK here.
Mine is up-to-date.
Some German websites did describe the update ca. 1 week before I got it.
I have no idea, how the order for receiving the update is determined:
- Is it serial number?
- Is it date of registration?
- Is it on-time? Maybe after 10 hours pinging the update-server you finally receive it?
Whatever the criteria: The update was available in Germany, that's obviously the main criteria.
But I didn't get it, although checking at least 3 times per day for at least 5 days.
Then I googled and found the method described.
And then I did receive the update instantly with the very first try.

---> Just for the ones:
a.) Who know the update is available in their region.
b.) Don't want to wait any longer.
c.) Don't want to download it from some server and then flash it themselves.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #14
mrscoach
Guru

I tried the update, but realized today that it didn't actually update, even though it went though the whole process. I'm on my third try,so keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #15
alphysudaria143
alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
Works OK here.
Mine is up-to-date.
Good for you mate.

Other members here has the problem unlike yours
alphysudaria143 is offline   Reply With Quote