Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #16
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_Belgium View Post

One thing that could stand to be improved, I do want to point out (but not a deal-breaker), is putting books on shelves. On my old Kindle, when shelving newly-added books, I had the option to see only the books that were not already on a shelf. Whereas on my Kobo, I always got the same list of *all* books to sift through when recreating my seven-or-so shelves. But that was just a one-off inconvenience on day one of setting up the device.
You can do this by going into 'Library', then 'Books', then once the book page is up look on the left-hand side of the page just under 'Books' and just above the book listings. Touch this header and it will bring up a dialogue box that lets you sort your library by 'Title', 'Author', 'File Size', 'File Type', and 'Recent Reads'. By selecting 'Recent Reads' after loading new books to your device, all your new additions will be listed first. If I understood correctly, this should address your concern.

On topic: I agree with pretty much what everyone else has stated and I'd like to add that I really do love the physical aspect of the device and its UI. This may seem superficial but for an object I use daily, it should be aesthetically pleasing.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #17
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Thanks for this lovely thread jackastor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
I love the quilted back on my Kobo Touch - it is so comfy in my hands.

I love the current book cover as screensaver feature and the little corner page that turns down when you save.

I love not being locked into one shop and being able to buy where I like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
System is installed on a removeable SD card and remains open. here's lots I'm willing to forgive Kobo for for that.
Yes yes yes and yes me too!

And I love
-the hardware design
-the light (Glo)
-the ability to fine tune fonts
-the home screen carrousel
-the sudoku!
-the UI, despite its bugs
-the shelves
-that Kobo developers frequent this forum and listen to us
-that you can buy someone a kepub as a gift
-the promo codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Three wasn't enough.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #18
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
1. Of all my e-reading devices, sideloading is easiest on my Glo and Touch -

1a) just drop them in the root-dir and it takes care of the rest, or
1b) single-click in dropbox, in the web browser, and it adds the .epub file type to the library with no additional manipulation necessary. Awesome.

2) throws some pennies the way of my preferred indie bookstore when I buy books.

3) lightweight,greatbatterylife,legible,e-ink,self-lit,font-tweaking,physicalfeel (that's all one item, right?)
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #19
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oj829 View Post
1b) single-click in dropbox, in the web browser, and it adds the .epub file type to the library with no additional manipulation necessary. Awesome.
NICE!!! I didn't know that! Wow.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #20
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
NICE!!! I didn't know that! Wow.
You just have to remember to switch out of "mobile" mode and into desktop once logged into dropbox. For some reason, one-click-to-library only works in desktop mode, and the Glo browser is detected as mobile by dropbox.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #21
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by oj829 View Post
You just have to remember to switch out of "mobile" mode and into desktop once logged into dropbox. For some reason, one-click-to-library only works in desktop mode, and the Glo browser is detected as mobile by dropbox.
Okay, thanks for the tip!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #22
bbrady42
bbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
I love that I can buy from my favorite Indie bookstore: Changing Hands.

I love that I have the Glo option when I'm reading in bed or when I happen to find myself in a comfortable but slightly dim reading spot.

I love the feel of my sleep cover.

I almost forgot. I LOVE that the text settings (font, size, spacing, etc) are remembered individually for each book.

Last edited by bbrady42; 01-17-2013 at 03:37 PM.
bbrady42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #23
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
I love that I can change the settings to my liking whener I want it, love specially that I can change the font sharpness.

I love the look and feel off the device, super confortable to read olding it with one hand.

I love that it has an sd card slot so I would never be out of space.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
My top three likes for Kobo ereaders

My top reasons that I like the Kobo

1. I have the ability to edit the books that I sideload to it and no artificial limits on the number of sideloaded books.

2. The variety of sources for books. No feeling of being tied to one source.

3. The ease of adding new fonts when I feel like experimenting with them.

I would have added that I liked the quilted back for it's comfortable feel but the Glo had lost that feature. I also like that some of the Kobo staff make themselves available and will respond to queries. The response may not be what I wanted but at least they respond.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #25
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
1) It holds SO MANY BOOKS

2) Light weight and easy to read in bed

3) Automatic shut off (including light) for when I fall asleep reading in bed

I've said it before and I will say it again: KOBO ROCKS
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #26
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
[QUOTE=Mrs_Often;2384060]Thanks for this lovely thread jackastor!

Your very much welcome!

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #27
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
I love my Kobo Glo because:

- His Bezel is a sexy matt black.
- He fits in a Neoskin case with owls on it. I like owls.
- Screen is very clear and I love the light. I don't find it too harsh, and my boyfriend doesn't moan about it.
- Everything is faster than on my Kindle 3.
- Expandable book storage. Why limit your users? I like knowing that is the unthinkable happened and something happened to my Glo causing a wipe, all the books are just on a micro SD I can take out.
- I can read in bed and turn the pages just fine when I'm wearing my moisturising gloves even though he is a touchscreen
- My K3 used to click when I pressed the pageturn buttons. My boyfriend would either complain about the clicking or moan about the fact that I could not possibly be reading fast enough to necessitate clicking that often (yes I can). Now he has less reasons to moan.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #28
Aligauld
Aligauld began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
My Touch, How do I adore thee.
Whats not to love.
The design is gorgeous, I can read in bed and should I fall asleep it goes into sleep mode, the fantastic battery life and of course not being tied to any one place to buy books gives me the freedom to read what i want when i want. Oh and i can read comics as well
Aligauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #29
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
1) My Touch just works for me. It has no quirks that I can't easily ignore.

2) Choice of Adobe DRM & epub format. Maximum choice of places to buy from, and the ability to borrow from my local library. Especially the library support.

3) PDF support that's good enough for gaming use at my friend's place.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #30
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I love my Arc because:

I can competitive shop between Kobo, Amazon and Google (and whatever else there is an app for).

While it's only been a short while, I have had no issues with the hardware/software of the Arc. It just works.

Although it's not technically a Canadian owned company anymore, they still have a strong local presence. Good enough for me.

Edit - And I love my Mini because it's just so mini and cute-like.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote