Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
MiltonIndigo
MiltonIndigo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Problems installing the Kobo reader software?

Some users have had problems installing the reader software. This seems to be a computer-specific problem (notably with Windows 7) rather than a problem with the reader. If you can’t install the KOBO reader software, try first installing Adobe Digital Editions manually, then install the KOBO reader software. I just did it and it worked perfectly. Here’s how:

1. Download the manual installer for Adobe Digital Editions at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb40305...ents/setup.exe (the same problem that prevents the KOBO software from installing automatically seems to block the Adobe Digital Editions automatic installer.)

2. Run the Adobe Digital Edition manual installer, which will install ADE on your computer and provide the necessary architecture for the KOBO software.

3. Once Digital Editions has installed, re-connect your KOBO reader and run the installation software as per the instructions in the KOBO user guide. This should get around the problem and install the KOBO reader software.

4. After the KOBO reader software has installed, you can go ahead and set up your account, manage your books and download books from the KOBO site.

Happy Reading!
Dave
MiltonIndigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
First I've heard of this particular fix. Good on you for finding something that worked for you. Other folks seem to appear to have the desktop application installed, but, particularly with Windows 7 64 bit installations, it doesn't work. A reboot sometimes takes care of it. An uninstall, reboot, and another try also seems to work for many people.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
windowsrefund
Connoisseur
windowsrefund began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
Of course, it's really best to avoid all this nonsense entirely. As a computer user, you are not a criminal and you should not feel compelled to jump through any particular vendor's hoops in order to use your hardware and data. Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) should not be tolerated in any form since, at a fundemental level, it's all about protecting Big Content's interests. Microsoft, Apple, and Adobe are basically nothing more then overglorified crack dealers who will do everything in their power to get you hooked and dependant on their wares. Of course, those who are already completely dependant will never admit it. They'll just keep reinstalling (where did I put that license key?) because they can't get any real support from their dealer (oh I mean vendor) of choice or they'll simply perpetuate the whole "illegal software" drama by participating in the very scenario these vendors cry bloody murder about as they lobby for more government support in order to protect their interests at the expense of a free market.

Stop the madness now, it's so easy to do once you make a personal choice to become part of the solution.

1. Install GNU/Linux
2. Install Calibre in order to interact with your awesome Kobo reader
3. Buy only non-DRM'd epubs from your favorite ebook vendor.
4. Help others avoid the vendor lockin traps you are now immune to.
windowsrefund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Another thing people might want to try is to right click on the install file and select run as administrator, even if you are the administrator on the system; this does fix a lot of installation issue with many apps.

cheers,
Steph S.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:43 PM   #5
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrefund View Post
1. Install GNU/Linux
2. Install Calibre in order to interact with your awesome Kobo reader
3. Buy only non-DRM'd epubs from your favorite ebook vendor.
4. Help others avoid the vendor lockin traps you are now immune to.
I second that.
Aside not having wifi version, I see wireless mostly unused. There is a
good chance of upgrading and having books that way.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
maryann ns
maryann ns began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
How do I get Calibre to interact with the Kobo library on my computer?

When I do get this going and then want to buy a book from Kobo or anywhere, what format do I want to get it in?
maryann ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
EDinNB
Enthusiast
EDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litter

Well, either I am very lucky or just plain good... I'll take lucky any day... I have a laptop runing win7 home edition 64 and a home computer running win 7 ultimate 32, and I have none of the book loading/software loading issues described. on both computers the software was installed from the KOBO and upgrades done via the web, each time successful.

My KOBO came with 1.4 installed (Ordered June 29) so I missed the nightmare if the upgrade from 1.0 to 1.4 but had it all with the 1.8 update....I still haven't updated to 1.8.2 because I had to do a factory reset and database replacement, so all my bookmarks were lost. however seeing my Wife is still reading a book on mine and hasn't started using hers yet, tomorrow I'll update hers to 1.8.2 and worry about mine later.

The one suggestion I read in this post that makes the most sense is to right click and run as administrator....IF... you are having problems.

As for Linux..ot os not for me, i never mastewred dos commands and I personally have no interest learning another OS.. Going from win 3.1 to win 7 was enough work. I stalled on 95 till mar 98 when I got a new hdd for the computer, then immediately was beta testing 98, avoided melimmium and used 2000 at work forever, my second home computer had xp and untill I got this current one for home, it was still xp...the laptop came with win 7.

Sorry for the history lesson, butfor me I will stick with the big guys as I have zero interest in being on the edge with the latest and greatest Linux or Mac OS...

I guess the point to all of this rant was windows based systems run over 90% of the personal computers in the world and not everyone is having issues so it tends to point me to configuration problems, missing/corrupt files caused by operator error in most cases, So don't try to convince me that Bill Gates is all Bad and Steve Jobs and Linus Torvalds are all good.
EDinNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:40 AM   #8
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDinNB View Post
The one suggestion I read in this post that makes the most sense is to right click and run as administrator....IF... you are having problems.
Heh! Embedded devices are not intended to run as computer you have
on your desk. They should just work. Getting root is not what manufac-
turer wants from you. If having problem, you go to the forum and ask
the question. Solutions are mostly useful and solve the case.

Quote:
Sorry for the history lesson, butfor me I will stick with the big guys as I have zero interest in being on the edge with the latest and greatest Linux or Mac OS...
If you'd stay with "big guys" you'd never have this reader.

Quote:
I guess the point to all of this rant was windows based systems run over 90% of the personal computers in the world and not everyone is having issues so it tends to point me to configuration problems, missing/corrupt files caused by operator error in most cases, So don't try to convince me that Bill Gates is all Bad and Steve Jobs and Linus Torvalds are all good.
Thank you for answering question nobody asks. Next, people are not stupid
and they do play with their device. They brick it and ask help. And they get
help. When arguing 90% of users having <insert_pet_os>, imagine the per-
cent of people starving and accordingly give them the right to do that and
stay on that course. Regarding names mentioned, what they have with this
ereader? If you want statistics of computers in your life, go to your internet
provider and ask about server that handles your mail. And servers that let
you post to this forum. And server that stores this forums you write to. And
the ereader you read your books. And computers that make movies you go
to see when you feel you want to. To conclude: no-one would try to move
you to do this or that. If you want to run one <insert_os> after another, fine.
People complain on hardware issues, complain on software issues and cannot
be put in one bucket. This is helping forum, after all.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:03 AM   #9
EDinNB
Enthusiast
EDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litter

Sorry If my rant upset you Zoran, but linux isnt the cure all EOD
EDinNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:24 AM   #10
zoran
himself

Quote:
Not upset, thank you.
No os is the cure, for sure.
"EOD" should mean "end of discussion"? No way on forums. Once it goes
out of the bottle...
Seriously, I do understand hesitation regarding this or that. I will not flame
you for using <you_know_what_os>. I simply have no intention to make you
all use what I like. It would be childish.
Best regards.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #11
windowsrefund
Connoisseur
windowsrefund began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
Quote:
You obviously have no idea why GNU/Linux (the proper name of the operating system) exists. All you're saying when you mistakenly compare your (dated) perception of the operating system with DOS is that you prefer to use a colorful and animated GUI to interact with your computer. Nothing more, nothing less. Of course, I could tell you about KDE, GNOME, Linux Mint, and other choices designed to cater to users such as yourself but I'm 99.9% certain that you could care less. I've worked in this industry for years and I know an old dog who's afraid to learn a new trick when I see one. The problem is, you think a computer is something other than a critically ingrained component of our society. You don't understand that computing is as essential as food and water in terms of maintaining our way of life. We're not going back to pen and paper.

Lawrence Lessig said it best: "Code is Law".

Think about that for a moment.... really try to understand...

You're using technology that hands your power over to complete strangers. These strangers decide what you are allowed to do and what you're not allowed to do. They decide what you can access, and what you can not. They are in charge of the digital divide and all the while, you're foolishly thinking you're sitting at the table because a dancing/nagging paper clip has been programmed to keep you amused.

I'm less than impressed.
windowsrefund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryann ns View Post
How do I get Calibre to interact with the Kobo library on my computer?

When I do get this going and then want to buy a book from Kobo or anywhere, what format do I want to get it in?
Calibre can be used to transfer ePUB with the "standard" Adobe DRM, ePUB without DRM and PDF, both with and without Adobe DRM books to your reader. Additionally, you can use Calibre to delete kepub (Kobo's proprietary format) books from your reader or to mark the status of books in terms of whether they are finished or being currently read.

Your best bet is probably to start with the video on the Calibre website and to take a good look at the Kobo User Manual.

You will not be able to load ePUB with the specialized Adobe DRM from Barnes and Noble or the DRM scheme Apple uses for iBook ePUB onto the Kobo, nor will you be able to load Amazon's formats on it unless you are prepared to strip the DRM. The legality of doing this varies from country to country. If you decide that stripping DRM is something you are willing to do, there are plugins that can be added to Calibre to automate that process.

You may also want to look at this explanation of DRM I wrote on another thread.

Last edited by taming; 01-07-2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: more info
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:00 AM   #13
ace246
ace246 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
This worked beautifully. Thanks for the info - it was really appreciated!
ace246 is offline   Reply With Quote