Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Can't seem to jailbreak K4NT 4.0.1

I have the above Kindle (bought in UK).

I've copied data.tar.gz to root and restarted several times, but the device just isn't being jailbroken.

I've tried using ENABLE_DIAGS to restart the device, still no luck.

Any ideas?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
I have the above Kindle (bought in UK).

I've copied data.tar.gz to root and restarted several times, but the device just isn't being jailbroken.

I've tried using ENABLE_DIAGS to restart the device, still no luck.

Any ideas?
It would help a LOT if you ask a useful question that CAN be answered with a useful reply.

Q1) What model is your kindle?

Q2) Which of the many different data.tar.gz files did you use?

Q3) Did you use a "jailbreak" payload that leaves visible evidence behind, such as a "Your kindle is jailbroken" document, or did you see a "splash screen" when it ran?

Q4) Did you use a "universal payload" data.tar.gz designed to work on multiple kindle models?

Some jailbreak payloads leave no evidence other that the "Update your kindle" menu item is enabled for developer "update*.bin" files.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
It would help a LOT if you ask a useful question that CAN be answered with a useful reply.

Q1) What model is your kindle?
As per subject line, it's a K4NT. And in the main text I said "bought in UK".

Quote:
Q2) Which of the many different data.tar.gz files did you use?
I use the one linked to in the various threads mentioning ixtab's method.

Quote:
Q3) Did you use a "jailbreak" payload that leaves visible evidence behind, such as a "Your kindle is jailbroken" document, or did you see a "splash screen" when it ran?
No splash screen, and no "you are jailbroken" book after restart. That's why I suspected the jailbreak didn't work

Quote:
Q4) Did you use a "universal payload" data.tar.gz designed to work on multiple kindle models?
Again, I googled Kindle 4 Non touch jailbreak and used the files from various threads mentioning ixtab's method.

Quote:
Some jailbreak payloads leave no evidence other that the "Update your kindle" menu item is enabled for developer "update*.bin" files.
I suspect it didn't work because after reboot I tried to install CoolReader, and during the reboot of that install, I got an "Update Error: 3, can't install"
Old 05-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As per subject line, it's a K4NT. And in the main text I said "bought in UK".
Hmm.. The thread title is not visible while replying to a thread. I do not know what could be different about a UK version.

All a jailbreak does is to add a new key file to a folder on the main partition. I think that script you used uses an "echo" command to write the key. You could do that manually. Look at the jailbreak script inside the data.tar.gz to see what data gets put into which file, and do that yourself from a diags SSH prompt (after mounting the main partition). At least, that is what I would do in your situation...
Old 05-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
gers1978
Addict

Is there a step-by-step guide to jailbreaking a K4NT on 4.0.1?

Thanks
Advert
Old 05-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
geekmaster

Quote:
Is there a step-by-step guide to jailbreaking a K4NT on 4.0.1?

Thanks
Yes. The jailbreaks have a README file. And there are more details in the wiki. There is a wiki link in the "simple debricking" thread (sticky at the top of the developer's corner forum)..