Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #76
asciibaron
Connoisseur
asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle 4 NT SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
That's no more a modification of the software than a scratch on the device is. And you're choosing to ignore the fact that Amazon actually permits the addition of files to the documents, music and audible folders.
if creating a folder is seen as a modification in the logic of some here, then any folder creation therefore is a modification - that is my point, a limited logic has vast implications.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #77
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Amazon provide you with a way to remove the ads legitimately should you wish to do so. Please stop trying to pretend that you're not doing anything wrong. You are. If you don't want the ads, just pay the fee ($30 or $40, depending on the model of Kindle that you have) and have done with it.
C'mon guys, immaterial of how you are doing it (just 'hiding' the ads or whatever), this is absolutely spot on.

It's pretty clear this forum doesn't condone anything even remotely dodgy, so have a little respect for that.
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #78
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by asciibaron View Post
if creating a folder is seen as a modification in the logic of some here, then any folder creation therefore is a modification - that is my point, a limited logic has vast implications.
It's totally different. In one case you're creating a folder in a place where Amazon clearly permits you to do so for a specific permitted purpose. In the other you're doing it in a place outside the specifically mentioned folder. There's no ambiguity here.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:34 AM   #79
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
No Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, Disassembly, or Circumvention. You may not modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Kindle or the Software, whether in whole or in part, create any derivative works from or of the Software, or bypass, modify, defeat, or tamper with or circumvent any of the functions or protections of the Kindle or Software or any mechanisms operatively linked to the Software, for example, by augmenting or substituting any digital rights management functionality of the Kindle or Software.
OMG!!! I'm a lawbreaker! I circumvent all of the ads and all of the Amazon Local offers by not looking at them. I only look at the Special Offers.

Gotta tinfoil my world so Amazon's black helicopters can't detect me.

Spoiler:
Old 12-29-2011, 11:36 AM   #80
asciibaron
Connoisseur
asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Spoiler:
finally, a cogent comment
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 06:36 AM   #81
antisectic
contrabrand
antisectic is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Touch
I've been lurking for a few days while in wait for my KT and this thread compelled me to register and post. I know that what I say here will probably not change the minds of people, but I still feel an obligation to speak while I still am able to.

I am at a loss at how brainwashed people are getting by the corporate wannabe overlords. There is one simple truth that has been mentioned on more than one occasion, with regards to numerous projects to date:

When I buy something it is mine. My ownership of the item in question is absolute.

If for reason any given reason X I choose to do Y with the item Z I own there is not a single person or entity that has the right to influence my decision to a higher degree than advising.

When you quote the TOS/TOU (whose existances are completely counterintuitive by nature, if I buy an apple the seller has no right to decide when, where and how I am to eat it) and say that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
By removing the ads you are "modifying .... the Kindle or the software".
I am compelled to ask you why you haven't closed this forum down and given yourself a spank? It seems to me that people who are the prime tinkerers on this forum, who are jailbreaking, modifying, dumping, dissecting and extending firmware capabilities in various ways, are considered heroes (and rightly so imo). Double standards? Clearly that is also breaking the TOS/TOU?

You are looking at it from the wrong angle. They are not giving away the SO's, they are still selling them and they are NOT losing profit. The correct angle would be that they are charging you almost 40% extra for a device that is the same as the cheaper one, only that one really functions how you expect it to function in the first place.

Yes, I will jailbreak my devices. I will flash custom firmware on them. I will extend them. I will code "unapproved" software for them. I will do changes that I think will make my using the devices more satisfying.

Because I am their absolute owner.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #82
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
When you buy a Kindle, you are entering into a contract with Amazon, freely and willingly. If you feel yourself unable to abide by the terms of that contract, the solution is clear: don't buy the Kindle. If you do decide to buy the Kindle, there is an obligation on you, both legal and moral, to abide by the terms of the contract that you've agreed to.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #83
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
You may own the hardware, but the software is licensed to you, you don't own it. By circumventing the system that delivers ads to the device you are breaching the software license agreement. You can rationalize it however you want, but you have breached the contract you agreed to.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #84
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
You may own the hardware, but the software is licensed to you, you don't own it. By circumventing the system that delivers ads to the device you are breaching the software license agreement. You can rationalize it however you want, but you have breached the contract you agreed to.
is your Kindle jailbroken? wait, you own a Nook...
Old 12-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #85
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
is your Kindle jailbroken? wait, you own a Nook...
I've got two Kindles in the house as well, neither is jailbroken.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #86
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
I've got two Kindles in the house as well, neither is jailbroken.
why haven't you jailbroken them?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #87
geoffwood
Addict

Quote:
why haven't you jailbroken them?
Because they do 100% of what I need them to do as delivered.

I did jailbreak my Nook Touch at one point, but I reverted to stock about a week later. It's an interesting novelty to load apps on an e-reader, but in the end you have a dog slow, black and white, pseudo-tablet. I've already got a decent tablet, I don't need to add a bad one.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #88
Hern
Hern began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3g/Wifi
A newbie question.

I have the USA Kindle Keyboard with the adverts.

I do not mind the adverts at all.

However, I have had a poke around the internal hard drive, and the screen savers are still included. I have tried the 'jailbreak' hack to display the screensavers, including adding my own, but they do not show.

My question (finally getting around to it), if I pay amazon the $50 to upgrade, will the screensavers automatically appear?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #89
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, if you pay to remove the ads, you'll get the standard "dead author" screensavers.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #90
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hern View Post
A newbie question.

I have the USA Kindle Keyboard with the adverts.

I do not mind the adverts at all.

However, I have had a poke around the internal hard drive, and the screen savers are still included. I have tried the 'jailbreak' hack to display the screensavers, including adding my own, but they do not show.

My question (finally getting around to it), if I pay amazon the $50 to upgrade, will the screensavers automatically appear?
Yes, once your Kindle has connected to the Amazon servers and updated to no-ads.

You might be safest removing the hack before paying the fee, and installing them after the ads are gone.
Closed Thread