Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-20-2007, 06:05 PM   #46
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Seems to me that once Mobipocket releases a content creator for their system into the wild (which they've done), they can't really control who makes what using it. They can stop distributing the maker, they can stop distributing the reader, but they can't make the existing copies of either go pfft!
But then the format is dead and everyone who paid money for eBooks in that format can no longer read them on new devices.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:36 PM   #47
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
True, but that's beside the point -- perhaps I misunderstood, but you seemed to be suggesting that because Mobi is the only one who makes a converter for their format, that they then control what content could go into their format. Since they don't control the actual conversion process (having released their converter into the wild) they don't really have any control over what those 'in the wild' converters are used to convert. Even if they drop the format and stop distributing the converter they still couldn't control what the converter was used to convert. That's all I was saying.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2007, 08:23 PM   #48
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Quote:
True, but that's beside the point -- perhaps I misunderstood, but you seemed to be suggesting that because Mobi is the only one who makes a converter for their format, that they then control what content could go into their format.
They do, to an extent. Today, for example, only people who use Windows can make MobiPocket content.

Quote:
Since they don't control the actual conversion process (having released their converter into the wild) they don't really have any control over what those 'in the wild' converters are used to convert.
And if they change the format? Then those converters can only be used with older readers and the converters become useless after a while.

Quote:
Even if they drop the format and stop distributing the converter they still couldn't control what the converter was used to convert. That's all I was saying.
No. But the output from the old converter would become useless.

How many 5.25" diskettes do you have? How about 3.5" diskettes?

Formats change. While old formats may be used over time, sooner or later the hardware stops supporting it, or simply isn't sold anymore.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:32 AM   #49
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
They do, to an extent. Today, for example, only people who use Windows can make MobiPocket content.
Not true, it runs well under Wine, and most likely Crossover. This means that you can use it in Linux or on a Mac if you like.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Show me where I can get a non-MobiPocket (company) program that creates MobiPocket content.

Until you do, there is no choice.
Book Designer

Granted, it cannot do DRM, but it can create non-DRM content.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #51
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Book Designer

Requires use of a Microsoft product. Google shows no information about what it's capabilities are.

So I can't do any kind of evaluation on it.

But since it's not open source, it really isn't much better than MobiPocket's content creator.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:24 PM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
So what do you use to create your eBooks with, Lauzon - you know, all these that you keep telling us that it's "no work" to produce?

Curiously, I can find no books uploaded by you in our book upload area!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:35 PM   #53
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Book Designer

I installed it on my work PC (I deal with Windows only when someone pays me).

Book Designer does not create MobiPocket format eBooks. It will create an eBook that the MobiPocket reader will read, but that doesn't mean it's a MobiPocket format eBook.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:38 PM   #54
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Mobipocket is the palmdoc format with a few extra tags (documented on their website) and sometimes proprietary compression and/or encryption added. It's not the evil you make it out to be.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:44 PM   #55
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So, it's a conspiracy by Mobi to limit the publication options of anyone who doesn't use Windows?

Let me also point out only those with access to some sort of electricity can use light bulbs.

Having hardware, software, infrastructure or whatever other kind of requirements you'd care to name is not the form of censorship you seem to be implying it to be.

Nevermind, I find I'm losing interest in watching advanced sophistry employed to avoid acknowledging that anyone else has any sort of point, however minor it might be. I've long since seen your points on the subject -- many I even agree with, even if I don't find them all compelling -- but I don't see much benefit in a discussion where only one side can ever be acknowledged as making even the least little bit of sense.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:46 PM   #56
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So what do you use to create your eBooks with, Lauzon - you know, all these that you keep telling us that it's "no work" to produce?
My eBooks are currently in Open Office 2.0 format. I simply do a Save As to create whatever format I want (HTML, text, PalmDOC) or an Export to PDF (for my iLiad).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Curiously, I can find no books uploaded by you in our book upload area!
I am a good Fictionwise customer. But I can't upload those eBooks.
Other eBooks are of questionable legal standing (like the Doc Savage or Shadow from Blackmask).
Some are eBooks of paper books that I have (and I can't upload those either).
I have some older books from Project Gutenberg, but I have long ago stripped out the Project's disclaimer text (back when I was reading eBooks on my Palm III) for space. It would be a violation of the Project's agreement to upload them without it. And anyone can get them from the Project just as easily as I did.

Plus, it seems that the supported formats here are closed (i.e. Sony and MobiPocket). So it doesn't seem like I have much to upload.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:47 PM   #57
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Mobipocket is the palmdoc format with a few extra tags (documented on their website)
No it isn't. Re-read their web site.

A PalmDOC-encoded-HTML file is one of the formats their reader reads. But it's not a MobiPocket format eBook.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:49 PM   #58
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
So, it's a conspiracy by Mobi to limit the publication options of anyone who doesn't use Windows?
Try to actually read my messages.

I used that as an example of how MobiPocket has control over who can do what since they control the format and won't publish the full specifications of their format.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:52 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
My eBooks are currently in Open Office 2.0 format. I simply do a Save As to create whatever format I want (HTML, text, PalmDOC) or an Export to PDF (for my iLiad).
I'm sorry, but Open Office is a closed program. It will not run on a VAX running VMS. So it's no good. It's too closed. Do you have something that will run on a VAX with VMS to make ebooks. If not, I'm afraid, what you have is closed. I hope you know that you've chosen to use a closed program. It cannot run on a VAX with XMS, then well, it's just a closed format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:00 PM   #60
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Try to actually read my messages.

I used that as an example of how MobiPocket has control over who can do what since they control the format and won't publish the full specifications of their format.
How disappointing.