Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #271
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur
Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
These days, most smartphones come with a data plan of some sort. Even if you had a data allowance of, say, 250MB/month (which is rather small), a 200kb ebook download would be using less than one thousandth of your monthly data allowance. It's really not "crazy" to download ebooks over 3G.
You, not canuck people, can feel our pain.
Here, data plan, phone and internet acces are sooooo expensive, even Ted Sarandos said:
Quote:
Canadians ‘Have Almost Third-World Access To The Internet'
Huffingtonpost
Ti-Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #272
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-Ron View Post
Here, data plan, phone and internet acces are sooooo expensive, even Ted Sarandos said: Huffingtonpost

But I understand and agree that your beer is first world excellent!

Last edited by DustyDisks; 01-22-2013 at 03:40 PM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #273
Honest Fantasist
Honest Fantasist began at the beginning.

Device: kindle wi-fi
I have a kindle wi fi. just coming up to 2 years old and see no reason to change it.

what gets me is the price of a kindle book is often only a Pound or two cheaper than a paper back.
the main reasons for going e reader, is space and cost. but the cost can be too high in my opinion.
Honest Fantasist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #274
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Fantasist View Post
I have a kindle wi fi. just coming up to 2 years old and see no reason to change it.

what gets me is the price of a kindle book is often only a Pound or two cheaper than a paper back.
the main reasons for going e reader, is space and cost. but the cost can be too high in my opinion.
Just yesterday I was looking for two e-books that I wanted, and in both cases the Kindle book was more than twice as much as the paperback OR hardback copy ($9.99 vs. $4-something). I am never going to buy an e-book under those circumstances.
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #275
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
god the thought of downloading a book over 3G!! Crazy!
I do this all the time on my phone. Takes a few seconds for an average novel
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #276
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
I dont download anything over 3 G cos it costs! Altho Im usually only downloading game updates, which measure in MB not KB!
Right.

My phone data plan is limited to 200 MB/month. Which I'm lucky to hit 100 of. Most of which is forums/facebook/internet/navigation/news. I download 2-5 books, that's what about 10 MB max?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #277
Joykins
Wizard

Quote:
These days, most smartphones come with a data plan of some sort. Even if you had a data allowance of, say, 250MB/month (which is rather small), a 200kb ebook download would be using less than one thousandth of your monthly data allowance. It's really not "crazy" to download ebooks over 3G.
honestly it's much crazier to download apps, music or movies. I don't do those over 3g.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #278
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur
Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post

But I understand and agree that your beer is first world excellent!
This is how they got us! If we're drunk we can't complain about high cost of data plans! :P
Old 01-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #279
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Here, data plan, phone and internet acces are sooooo expensive
What do you mean by "so expensive"? How much, for example, would 1GB of data typically cost you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #280
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Quote:
You are correct of course. Downloading an ebook would be nothing over 3G. In fact I have downloaded a book to my smartphone!
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #281
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur

Quote:
What do you mean by "so expensive"? How much, for example, would 1GB of data typically cost you?
My plan, as we speak, is 150 mins of "talking", unlimited texting, and call ID, nothing else, not other services and it costs me 67$(CAD) (around 42 ponds) a month. It's a 3 years contract... expensive enough?

Edit: My supplier is offering a 500 mo plan for 25$, if you want to add it to your actual contract.

Last edited by Ti-Ron; 01-24-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #282
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
My plan, as we speak, is 150 mins of "talking", unlimited texting, and call ID, nothing else, not other services and it costs me 67$(CAD) (around 42 ponds) a month. It's a 3 years contract... expensive enough?

Edit: My supplier is offering a 500 mo plan for 25$, if you want to add it to your actual contract.
Well, it depends of how much of that goes towards the cost of the phone.

Using USD I pay $30 for data (up to 10G/Month without restrictions) and $11-15 for voice not using voice very much.

But buying a phone every second or third year is around $700 (so that is $30 per month for 24 months interval). So monthly cost $75.

So depending on what phone you get for the cost I would say that $67 CAD is not expensive.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #283
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Well, it depends of how much of that goes towards the cost of the phone.

Using USD I pay $30 for data (up to 10G/Month without restrictions) and $11-15 for voice not using voice very much.

But buying a phone every second or third year is around $700 (so that is $30 per month for 24 months interval). So monthly cost $75.

So depending on what phone you get for the cost I would say that $67 CAD is not expensive.
I'm paying £22 a month ($35) for a "SIM-only" contract for my iPhone. That gets me, I think, 100 minutes/month (of which I use about 1 minute!), unlimited texts (of which I send typically 0), and 1GB data.

My iPhone 4 cost me £560 ($900), and I've now had it for 2 and a half years - 30 months. So my monthly costs have been 900/30 + 35 = $65/month. Not too dissimilar to yours.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #284
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I'm paying £22 a month ($35) for a "SIM-only" contract for my iPhone. That gets me, I think, 100 minutes/month (of which I use about 1 minute!), unlimited texts (of which I send typically 0), and 1GB data.

My iPhone 4 cost me £560 ($900), and I've now had it for 2 and a half years - 30 months. So my monthly costs have been 900/30 + 35 = $65/month. Not too dissimilar to yours.
I would actually save $10 if I took data with 1G unlimited and then band width restrictions. Funny that the costs was so similar.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #285
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Not too dissimilar to yours.
I have not found a service provider in Canada that offers a "sim-only" discount. Buying your own phone is rarely used option, mainly for prepaid plans, or when you lose your phone (and are in the middle of contract).
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote