Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch, LG G Pad. Asus 7.0
Question Should I reset my Kobo - or is it slow because of too many books?

My Kobo Touch seems to be quite slow now when I press a menu button (though fine when turning pages)

I have about 600 books on it.

Dont know if just deleting all the books on it and re adding them will make it faster again?

But if not and I reset it - I have all my books in Calibre but only 100 of the identical ones in ADE .
Wont the Kobo need ADE to set it up again and if so will I end up with 100 of my books duplicated?

Advice welcome.

Sorry all the confusion
polli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Cougarslair
Cougarslair began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I got my Kobo Touch at Christmas and like you put about 600 books onto it....it was practically unusable it was so slow. As you say it was fine reading a book but accessing the library took forever as did everything else.
I contacted support and their response:

"Thank you for your inquiry. With regards, yes, the device will function slower even with the capacity to hold up to 1000 books. To avoid lagging many customer who have extreme amounts of titles like yourself put there material on to a micro SD card that way it doesn't slow up the internal functioning and they still have access to all their content."

I ended up doing factory reset and had to start from scratch. I reloaded just a handful of books and it is responsive again, also downgraded the firmware which seemed to be a bit speedier. Havent tried reloading a lot of books again yet to see if the older firmware handles them better.

I like the Kobo but its inability to handle a large number of books is disappointing, especially as its part of the products marketed abilities. "Holds up to 1000 ebooks" . Maybe it can but it makes it unusable!
Cougarslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarslair View Post
I got my Kobo Touch at Christmas and like you put about 600 books onto it....it was practically unusable it was so slow. As you say it was fine reading a book but accessing the library took forever as did everything else.
I contacted support and their response:

"Thank you for your inquiry. With regards, yes, the device will function slower even with the capacity to hold up to 1000 books. To avoid lagging many customer who have extreme amounts of titles like yourself put there material on to a micro SD card that way it doesn't slow up the internal functioning and they still have access to all their content."

I ended up doing factory reset and had to start from scratch. I reloaded just a handful of books and it is responsive again, also downgraded the firmware which seemed to be a bit speedier. Havent tried reloading a lot of books again yet to see if the older firmware handles them better.

I like the Kobo but its inability to handle a large number of books is disappointing, especially as its part of the products marketed abilities. "Holds up to 1000 ebooks" . Maybe it can but it makes it unusable!

Thank you for the reply. Seems normal then for it to be slow lol
As I say fine when reading Just browsing so slow.

Have you found now its updated itself that when you click the bottom button to go back to the Homepage it auto opens the 1st book now?

Very very annoying
Old 01-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
This is lame. Text documents, no matter the format, should not slow the kobo down. It's got terrible software.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Access to books in library really slowed down with last up date. Before it was ok.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Cougarslair
Cougarslair began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polli View Post

Thank you for the reply. Seems normal then for it to be slow lol
As I say fine when reading Just browsing so slow.

Have you found now its updated itself that when you click the bottom button to go back to the Homepage it auto opens the 1st book now?

Very very annoying
I didnt update I downgraded to the previous firmware following a link provided in this forum and after reading that people seemed to find the older firmware better.
It had the newsest update on it when I got it and as I said almost unusable with a lot of books stored on it, slow library with the issue of it double clicking and opening the first book in the list when I didnt want it to.

Whilst I may not need to have a lot of book stored on the device at any one time, if it has the memory capacity and is advertised to store up to 1000 books shouldnt we be able to do so if we wish without it making the Kobo Touch unusable?
They need to fix this and improve the software.
Cougarslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
touring
Connoisseur
touring began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarslair View Post
Whilst I may not need to have a lot of book stored on the device at any one time, if it has the memory capacity and is advertised to store up to 1000 books shouldnt we be able to do so
For sure!
But has anyone tried their suggestion that using an SD card is faster?
I'd be interested to know the results, as mine is very slow on some screens too with about 800 books loaded.
touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
Genesis
Enthusiast
Genesis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Genesis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Genesis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Genesis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

all the slowdown i have seen is WITH the 600 ePubs on a SD card, latest firmware.
I Have 2 Kobo Touches. I removed the SD card on my own, reset it (both ways, pin and settings). I just put books I'm reading on it now,no more than 20.

MY wife's Kobo Touch has 700 epubs on her sd card. She hates how slow it is.
It is so slow that multiple TOUCHES are lagged to NEXT SCREEN.
ie: You click Library twice because it seems unresponsive, and when it finally comes up, the Kobo immediately loads the book in the same position on the screen.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:18 AM   #9
polli
Zealot

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post

MY wife's Kobo Touch has 700 epubs on her sd card. She hates how slow it is.
It is so slow that multiple TOUCHES are lagged to NEXT SCREEN.
ie: You click Library twice because it seems unresponsive, and when it finally comes up, the Kobo immediately loads the book in the same position on the screen.
Do you mean that when you click Library twice it actually opens the first book? Because mine does that Very annoying