Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 04:51 AM   #1
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch, LG G Pad. Asus 7.0
Red face Calibre - Backing up and Restoring - Simply?

I have all my books nicely sorted out in a Calibre folder.
So want to know please how to backup and restore them should I need to.
I have backed up the ebooks on an external drive. But how would I re import them into Calibre if I had computer problems?

I have read this thread but don't understand it

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26280

Can you post a simple way of doing it please?

I had hoped it would work on the same principle as Windows Media Player and I could just add the ebook folder back and the books would be found in Calibre.

polli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Just want the simplest way

I had hoped it would work on the same principle as Windows Media Player and I could just add the ebook folder back and the books would be found in Calibre.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ter-to-another
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by polli View Post
Just want the simplest way

it is dead easy - read the provided links - what is it you don't get /doesn't work?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:16 AM   #5
polli
Zealot

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
it is dead easy - read the provided links - what is it you don't get /doesn't work?
Thanks I have seen that But no clearer lol

Every so often I re format my hard drive
I have my ebooks backed up to an external drive
I just wanted to know how to add them back when I need to re install Calibre again
Where is the metadata file then?
Also if i transfer my ebooks back into my docs does Calibre auto find them then?
Old 11-29-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
Simply - Take your Calibre Library folder and copy it to an external/backup drive

Reformat/destroy your old PC/Throw it out the window/etc

Fresh Install - install Calibre, Copy library back to original location

Done
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitthis View Post
Simply - Take your Calibre Library folder and copy it to an external/backup drive

Done
You should do the same with your Calibre configuration folder (location can be found using Preferences->Advanced->Miscellaneous from within Calibre) if you want to also keep the same Calibre settings.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
polli
Zealot

You are a star !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitthis View Post

Done

Thanks SO much! Thats so simple to understand

So if I copy my Library back into the Calbre folder again does Calibre auto find all the ebooks then or not?
Old 11-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #9
polli
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
You should do the same with your Calibre configuration folder (location can be found using Preferences->Advanced->Miscellaneous from within Calibre) if you want to also keep the same Calibre settings.

But don't understand this
Is this another folder somewhere I should be backing up also?
Old 11-29-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
Yes all your books, and there all sorted just the way they were before.

(Calibre stores a little file with them, so you don't have to import them again)

((As itimpi said, if you want to keep any specific changes you made to calibre itself such as program settings))

You don't really have to worry about that, if your ok with reinstalling any plugins, and setting calibre up the way you like it after your re install - I personally don't bother as I prefer a clean calibre on those occasions.

ps, no need to keep the original books, once you have imported them into calibre.

Last edited by transmitthis; 11-29-2011 at 08:54 AM. Reason: There = they are :)
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by polli View Post

But don't understand this
Is this another folder somewhere I should be backing up also?
Yes - this is another folder that Calibre uses to store your Calibre settings and preferences. It is different to the folder used to store your library with all its books and metadata (which is the really critical data).

If you do not mind setting your predferences up from scratch again after a restore (or you run with default settings) then you do not need to do this. However many people cannot remember what changes they made to the Calibre preferences, and this step avoids them having to remember as it re-instates everything as it was at the time of the backup.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:11 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The Entire Library folder IS the Library.

so DO NOT copy (mix in) any other files or folders.
that simple

If your Library folder was My Books,
The (Backup) the entire Folder: My Books
to restore the Library.

Copy the entire folder back to your HD, then start Calibre and
Use the Switch Library option on the Library Icon, to set Calibre to use that Library.

Re-Format HD many times? It has been years since I had to do that (dying drive). I have cloned drives (bigger ) that gave warning signs (look at the event viewer logs)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
polli
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The Entire Library folder IS the Library.

so DO NOT copy (mix in) any other files or folders.
that simple

If your Library folder was My Books,
The (Backup) the entire Folder: My Books
to restore the Library.

Copy the entire folder back to your HD, then start Calibre and
Use the Switch Library option on the Library Icon, to set Calibre to use that Library.

Re-Format HD many times? It has been years since I had to do that (dying drive). I have cloned drives (bigger ) that gave warning signs (look at the event viewer logs)
Thanks thats very helpful

* Every so often the pc gets slow so I restore it lol Maybe twice a year
This is a Windows 7 pc. Which I hate
Loved Vista but old pc could not be fixed.

Last edited by polli; 11-29-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #14
polli
Zealot

Do I do the same thing with my ADE folder then ?
And which Free Syncing program that is simple to use can you suggest?
Old 11-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #15
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Along with my Calibre book folders, I also back up

C:\Users\Carol\AppData\Roaming\calibre

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote