Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #16
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra009 View Post
I agree, I don't know why the PDF is considered so bad.
I had a long response but itimpi hit pretty much everything I was going to say so I've deleted it.

It can be a bit soul destroying to see a book you would like to read and find that someone has put it in PDF if you don't have the right reader for it. However I think it is a valid argument that for a market like children's books that you are going to be aiming at some kind of large screen device like a tablet, particularly as they get more prevalent over the coming years. A friend of mine just bought two iPad 2's for his kids (6 and 9) and I will probably buy some sort of tablet for my nephews in the next year or two as well.

Last edited by kiwidude; 04-13-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Fix poster name
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #17
Ezra009
Ezra009 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks itimpi and kiwidude.
I think that since I aim primarily for iPad or similar devices, and not so much for mobile phones and such things, then the PDF should be fine if I test it on an iPad to make sure it's legible. The problem is I don't know if I can then sell it, iTunes Connect requires an epub file in order to sell on iBookstore.
Ezra009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #18
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
iTunes Connect requires an epub file in order to sell on iBookstore.
You can certainly package the page images into an EPUB.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #19
Ezra009

thanks Starson17, I will definitely try to do this.
I'm generally trying to do it myself, rather than go to lulu or any of the other 'apple aggregators'.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #20
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Thanks itimpi and kiwidude.
I think that since I aim primarily for iPad or similar devices, and not so much for mobile phones and such things, then the PDF should be fine if I test it on an iPad to make sure it's legible. The problem is I don't know if I can then sell it, iTunes Connect requires an epub file in order to sell on iBookstore.
If you carry on as if it is a comic (or graphic novel - which I guess it is ), and size the images with that in mind, then there is no reason an ePub should not display fine as well.

The advantage of going down the ePub route is that it will probably convert quite well to Mobi as well if that becomes a requirement.
itimpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #21
Ezra009

thanks itimpi, yes that is my intention, it's the same as a graphic novel or a comic.
So I guess what I'll try is to bring in the zipped numbered image pages and turned them into epub and mobi inside calibre, instead of making them epubs in InDesign.