Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #16
Analoggab
Analoggab began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1
All right, I will try that.
Although I'm in Indonesia right now and I have wreaked a couple of my other electronic devices (iPhone and Canon camera!!) by charging them directly in the wall plug. Although the voltage rating of these camera is fine, the electricity is very unstable here.

If I charge it in the computer making sure it does not go to sleep, that should work no?

So you guys are telling me that if I let the Reader charge fully, at some point it should unstuck itself from Opening Book page?
Analoggab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #17
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
IF you can keep your computer from ever going to sleep or hibernating or any type of powering down, then yes, you could safely charge it. I find it's a losing battle on my netbook though (as well as older laptop), they always seem to hibernate anyway no matter how you set it. My desktop PCs though never sleep and I can safely charge all my USB electronics on them. If you're traveling, I'm going to assume you only have a netbook or laptop, and I don't think I'd trust them not going into hibernation.

It's possible a full charge will fix the problem, yes. It's a process of elimination trying various things that have been known to cause the issue you're having. No guarantee though that it will work, but certainly worth a try.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:39 AM   #18
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Aside, to the others trying to help: would the reader charge from the pc if the OP was using the computer at the time, thereby keeping the computer "awake"? If so, maybe spending a loooonnnggg time internet surfing, or writing a best seller, while charging the reader would do the job.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:57 AM   #19
Analoggab
Analoggab began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1
What I did was that I played through my music on mute for 10 hours straight from my computer while charging the Reader.

So it basically charged for that long.

After some time charging it started trying to reboot itself but would get stuck on "opening book" screen. I think the theory of the corrupted book makes sense.

It seems to try to reboot itself but gets stuck every time.
I wish there would be a way to hard reset it or something. Or commands to do a clean wipe out of the memory...
Analoggab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:17 AM   #20
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analoggab View Post
What I did was that I played through my music on mute for 10 hours straight from my computer while charging the Reader.

So it basically charged for that long.

After some time charging it started trying to reboot itself but would get stuck on "opening book" screen. I think the theory of the corrupted book makes sense.

It seems to try to reboot itself but gets stuck every time.
I wish there would be a way to hard reset it or something. Or commands to do a clean wipe out of the memory...
There is - and it's been discussed here many times.

But here's a link to the Sony instructions:
http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...nalId=C1024494
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #21
acicretu
acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.

Device: PRS-T1 (frozen), PRS-T2 Sony, Kobo Glo
PRS T1 frozen

Hello, my ebook reader has the same issue as Analoggab and I have tried everything he tried as well. I even tried to reinstall the firmware from an sd card, without success.

The reader is stuck at "opening page", it is charged and it is not recognized when connected to computer. I tried many times the soft and hard reset, pretty much all what was on this post and some, many times.
Did anybody solved a similar issue?

Thanks
acicretu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #22
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
I had something similar.. after f ully charging with the wall charger I did a soft reset numerous times(paperclip) one of them worked.. it got me as far as the home screen which got stuck on the circling arrows... fortunately it got far enough along that I was able to plug it into the pc and delete the book causing the problem....the Sony software sucks at file handling... it should time-out after a certain number of attempts or after a certain time when opening/accessing any file it's pretty basic good programming practice
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #23
acicretu
acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.acicretu knows what's going on.

Thanks for reply BLA, I'll try again
Old 08-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #24
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I've found holding the pin in and randomly pushing the page turn and other buttons two at a time works for me. There are two you are supposed to push at once but I can never remember them when I am on the bus etc. so I jab randomly and let the pinhole button alone randomly.

This peculiar behavior on my part is unfortunately reinforced by that fact that it seems to work fairly quickly.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #25
acicretu

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I've found holding the pin in and randomly pushing the page turn and other buttons two at a time works for me. There are two you are supposed to push at once but I can never remember them when I am on the bus etc. so I jab randomly and let the pinhole button alone randomly.

This peculiar behavior on my part is unfortunately reinforced by that fact that it seems to work fairly quickly.

Helen
Thanks Helen.Unfortunately is still not working...any other ideas? I have also tried "restoring a bricked device" as presented here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...C_sd_rescue.29
With one of the files I get "updating" message, then it says it is done and to reset manually, but it comes back to "opening book" screen.
I am inclined to move on to another brand...kobo glo maybe...
Old 08-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #26
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Is your Sony clean out of the box or has it been modified/hacked/jailbroke etc?

Kobo is horrible. Their software is majorly glitch and their service stinks.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #27
acicretu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Is your Sony clean out of the box or has it been modified/hacked/jailbroke etc?

Kobo is horrible. Their software is majorly glitch and their service stinks.
My Sony PRS-T1 is about 1.5 year old, nothing modified or jailbroken. I have downloaded some ebooks from internet then I have loaded them on my Sony with Calibre. All good, I verified it and few books were ok, then I tried another book randomly and that's how it got stuck on "opening book" screen.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:30 AM   #28
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
The only other thing is to let it completely discharge. Turn it on a few times a day until it won't turn on and then plug it into computer. If it connects which would take a minute or two remove all books manually.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #29
acicretu

Thanks again Helen.
The computer is not recognizing it ...I tried the complete discharge, as after I tried to restore as mentioned above it flashes the yelow LED and discharges completely in few hours. No change so far, back to square one, frozen "opening book" screen.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #30
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Call Sony support...they are usually quite helpful.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote