Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #151
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
There have been two versions of the Glo with different lighting. The first had a cooler, brighter light; the second a warmer, dimmer light. The reviews of Aura vs Glo are going to be a bit misleading unless they tell you which type of Glo they are using.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #152
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
There have been two versions of the Glo with different lighting. The first had a cooler, brighter light; the second a warmer, dimmer light. The reviews of Aura vs Glo are going to be a bit misleading unless they tell you which type of Glo they are using.
Regardless of which Glo it was, it did show the Aura very well. The lighting looked nice. It was even, not too bright and no shadows (aka PW).
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #153
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
Curious to know why you think Kobo is a Mickey Mouse company?

Also, have you actually had a hands-on with the Aura, or are you drawing conclusions from the reviews of others?

It seems you have a gripe of some sort with Kobo. Granted, Kobo is not perfect, but I'm sure there are many who would say the same of Amazon.
The KPW is TERRIBLE compared to the Kobo Glo. I had the KPW and gave it away after getting the Kobo Glo..
Doug
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #154
Forgetful
Forgetful began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Arc and Mini. Nexus 10
The Kobo shops in W H Smith are taking preorders for the Aura. You pay £5 but get a Kobo £5 Gift Voucher upon collection.

My local store had a demo unit which they can't put out but were able to show me.
Forgetful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:26 AM   #155
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
That's right, but why compare it to a book? Shouldn't you be comparing it to other e-readers (including the Kobo Glo)?
But why not compare it to a book regarding its weight or size? By that I mean that both of them are used to read (the content of) a book.
Around here on MR it's easy to find many threads comparing paper books to electronic readers. Granted it's usually along the lines of why the latter is better than the former

Sure, everyone is entitled to his own belief. On the other hand, why not listen to someone who is just trying to put things in perspective by reminding us that before the ereaders era, reading books used to be more cumbersome because of the size and weight of paper books, amongst other things?

Oh, and everyone has different needs, so different screen sizes is more than welcome, don't you think?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:12 AM   #156
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
That's right, but why compare it to a book? Shouldn't you be comparing it to other e-readers (including the Kobo Glo)? I think that was the original point. You can always defend a new product because it's better than something a lot older instead of comparing it to the current competition.
Of course e-readers must be compared to other e-readers. But there is simple reason why it might still be relevant to compare a particular e-reader to paper books; they still all compete in the same market. Paper books are not a thing of the past. Not yet
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #157
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
But why not compare it to a book regarding its weight or size?
Because people will insist on comparing to hardcovers and trade paperbacks rather than mass-market paperbacks in order to make the device look better than it actually is (like they do when defending high ebook prices).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #158
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Because people will insist on comparing to hardcovers and trade paperbacks rather than mass-market paperbacks in order to make the device look better than it actually is (like they do when defending high ebook prices).
I see... well, I guess everyone considering to buy an ereader is probably making the comparison with what format they used to read/still read.
It's not one-size-fits-all and your mileage may vary
I wonder if I could have squeezed another phrase here
Once again, more sizes, more devices, more choice to find the right fit. Win-win
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #159
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
That's very true. When I saw the video comparing the Glo to the Aura, I thought that the Glo looked a lot more blue than mine does.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #160
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I just order/pre-ordered one. When I clicked on the pre-order, it went to a page and it said in stock. So are these shipping already?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #161
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I just order/pre-ordered one. When I clicked on the pre-order, it went to a page and it said in stock. So are these shipping already?
Ordered mine yesterday and have not received any shipping notification. As mine is shipping to the US, I suspect I will get it later than others.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #162
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I pre-ordered (in the US) from the Kobo website - got an email today with an invoice hitting my credit card - but no tracking information yet - I am assuming they are preparing to ship now.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #163
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
My guess is that "In Stock" indicates there is still pre-order stock. Depending on how many want one, they could run out of pre-order stock.

Release date is, if I remember correctly, 25th April. I would suspect that they would ship with enough time to arrive on that date, or given how quickly shipping can be, it might turn up early.

Last edited by Sharkus; 04-18-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #164
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I kept telling myself I'd wait, but decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. I ordered the espresso color.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #165
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
Buy a Kobo Mini and use a Magnifying glass and a clip on light... LOL
Nah, I like the glo i have thanks....and i can handle the size, as i said. Though I definitely woulda gone for the mini if it had built in light and microSD.

Wouldn't need a magnifying glass on the mini. I have excellent sight, thank you.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote