Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
The morally of the story is don't tell them what you did. Just say it isn't working and play dumb. Happy you got it fixed though.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #17
Clytie
Bookworm
Clytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it is

Device: iPad2
Glad/sorry to know I'm not the only one encountering weird PW behaviour. Glad, because I'm not alone in this, and sorry that you're encountering difficulty.

I've already had to restart my PW twice, to access downloads it thinks it's downloaded but hasn't. I also note that the WiFi indicator is usually only on 2 bars, where all the other household devices always have 3 bars (full signal). It is starting to look like a corruption issue.

"I just got off the phone with Will at Amazon support, Will's final (useless) conclusion was "when you format the user partition, the javascript link between the Fortran and the kernel is broken." Seriously, who hires these people?"

I'm impressed they have anyone there who remembers Fortran, whose main claim to fame back when I was an undergraduate (late 70s) was its ability to run Fourier Transforms (mathematical processes analyzing scientific data). The thought of anyone using that venerable programming language on "the latest" Kindle ... *snorts of laughter*

Also, who in their right mind uses JS prebindings? If you have enough sense to run a Linux kernel, you stay away from the devious, sloppily-coded, so-easily-corruptible tentacles of JavaScript.

Then again, I'm trying to make sense of a statement which obviously didn't have that intent...
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #18
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clytie View Post
The thought of anyone using that venerable programming language on "the latest" Kindle ... *snorts of laughter*
Why not? They use every other language they can get their hands on, from C and C++ through Java and even JS. Most of the Kindle UI is written in Java, and that's a language with a *much* more heavyweight runtime than Fortran, which compiles to native code just like C.

(But, yes, I think it's unlikely that there is any substantial amount of Fortran on there. Heck, in a complete Linux distro you're unlikely to have more Fortran than is contained inside ATLAS these days.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #19
radioactive76
radioactive76 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
For brevity, I left out another small snippet: "Will" told me that he thought linking Fortran and Javascript was a bad idea, and that in his opinion, it should all be done in Java.

Having had enough, I told him "You know I'm an electrical engineer?" to which he, the tier 1 support guy at Amazon retorted, "Yeah, and I have a computer engineering degree, but that's neither here nor there."

The whole exchange was some mix of comedy and tragedy, I'm not sure which.

On an unrelated note, somehow, the device bricked itself again this weekend when I switched from English to German. The rescue method was the same (cycle the USB and try and get into the menu). Kindle's going back under AmEx's "extended warranty" protection, since Amazon refuses to take it back. I'm just glad Apple allows me to wipe the rootfs when I decide to, new iPad mini is more and more tempting...
radioactive76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:26 AM   #20
rghelase2001
rghelase2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hello all,

I have a similar issue with my PaperWhite, it is stuck on "Repair Needed" screen. Tried factory reset (hold the button for 20-30sec) but no luck. After a boot sequence (the tree with the child reading the book under it, and something moving on the screen), that lasts for about 10sec, the PW returns in the Repair Needed screen. Tried this like 7+ times, no luck..

I had a book that did not want to be opened, I tried to reset the device, but got into this "Repair Needed" screen.

Tried the procedure radioactive76 mentions on post #15, but not sure if I understood completely, does it apply also to Windows OS?

Guys, any other clues?

Many thanks in advance!
rghelase2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:39 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Holding the power button for 20s is not a "Factory Reset"; it's just a reboot. Factory Reset can only be done through the menu.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:43 AM   #22
rghelase2001

Thanks HarryT, you are right.. Therefore, it is mandatory somehow to enter menu for "factory reset".. Could someone please explain me how could I manage to do this using Windows OS?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:48 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately, if your Kindle won't boot, you can't do a Factory Reset.

Given, though, that this is a Kindle PW, it's definitely still under warranty, so you should contact Kindle Customer Services.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:03 AM   #24
rghelase2001

HarryT, I appreciate your effort, but I have just bought this PaperWhite as a gift to my wife, and I have to deliver it to her on Monday with some books already uploaded.

At least for now, I have to spare all the necessary steps that I can do, without crack-opening the device, that's why replacement is out of question right now.

Thank you for understanding, but, knowing there is a possiblity to fixing it without replacing the unit, I would like to experience it.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If it's new, and it was like this "out of the box", it sounds very much as if it's faulty, unfortunately.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:13 AM   #26
rghelase2001

Yesterday evening opened the box, registered it to my Amazon account, copied couple of books from the Cloud, and copied couple of DRM removed books from the hard drive.
While testing that every book works, got into one DRM free book that refused to open (the book remained opened to the first page, and the device was stuck). Successfully rebooted, deleted the book from the menu, copied it again using the cable, and the same result (azw3 book).
Did a format change in Calible, copied it also as .mobi and .azw1, and got into this "Repair Needed" error screen.

If there is any other procedure I could try, I would appreciate, because replacing the damaged unit for sure will take at least couple of days..
Old 03-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #27
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry to say but there's no way to fix that. You're going to have to call Amazon for a replacement. The unit is obviously defective.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #28
rghelase2001

Ok, Blossom, then I will call for replacement.
For my knowledge, and in order to prevent this happening in the future, was the unit damaged, or was anything that I did that crashed the unit for good?
Old 03-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #29
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rghelase2001 View Post
For my knowledge, and in order to prevent this happening in the future, was the unit damaged, or was anything that I did that crashed the unit for good?
It was defective in my opinion. You should have no problem adding mobi or AZW3 books to the PW. I don't think it's anything you did.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rghelase2001 View Post
Nothing that you did would have resulted in this problem. Your Kindle is faulty.

Tags
boot, download, freeze, restart