Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-18-2010, 12:41 PM   #46
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPenguin View Post
I think that may have been their development plan but they've either found testing to be much more critical than expected or they've just ended up tagging features/fixes on and it slows the process down. With the first firmware upgrade for example with a new company it's quite possible that the dev and QA teams weren't experienced with dealing with firmware as opposed to software.

I wish the first firmware update had come quicker, I found several of the issues fixed then to be real show-stoppers while now I'm still relatively satisfied with the reading experience. Plenty of room for improvement but I can wait.
Releasing often is definitely the ideal. I personally would love to deliver small bunches of goodies to you guys at regular intervals. Couple of things stand in the way:

1. Firmware is a different game than, say, an iphone app. We have to be extra careful, which adds time.

2. We have to work on multiple projects sometimes, so that adds time.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #47
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
I think you need to remember that this is a new product and all software needs exposure to its user community to get the feature set sorted out
I realise that, which is why i'll wait until the next firmware update before i make a decision about wether to keep the kobo or not. It's simplicity is great, but the extras people are crying out for on this forum are needed to make it complete.
My post was more directed at the 'life isn't easy' comment, which is a complete load of crap when it comes to ereaders. A majority of people just want to load a book and read it, not use 3 different bits of software to make the most use from the KOBO and then read it.

Hours in the day and all that
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #48
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
For most folks who just want to download a book and read it, Kobo actually is close to perfect--as long as you can buy it from Kobo books or some other ePUB supplier.

v
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #49
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
A majority of people just want to load a book and read it, not use 3 different bits of software to make the most use from the KOBO and then read it.

Could not agree more BUT, Kobo has rectified a lot, if not all, of the ePUB display issues with a firmware update.

Calibre will easily transfer ebooks directly to the Kobo with little fuss. If the ebook is in another format, conversion occurs at the same time. Whereas older firmware required fixing the fonts before transfer.

Kobo is not an orphan concerning display issues with ePUBS either.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:10 AM   #50
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
For most folks who just want to download a book and read it, Kobo actually is close to perfect--as long as you can buy it from Kobo books or some other ePUB supplier.

v

My bank account is close to perfect as well, as long as it has money in it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Could not agree more BUT, Kobo has rectified a lot, if not all, of the ePUB display issues with a firmware update.
Agreed

Quote:
Calibre will easily transfer ebooks directly to the Kobo with little fuss. If the ebook is in another format, conversion occurs at the same time. Whereas older firmware required fixing the fonts before transfer.
It does indeed.
What i'm getting at, is if you go down this route then you need ADE as well... so there's 2 programs to get the book to your device. Add in Sigil if you need to format anything and you've got three.

Quote:
Kobo is not an orphan concerning display issues with ePUBS either.
I'm sure it isn't; it just happens to be the one i own and care about.
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 12:54 AM   #51
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
What i'm getting at, is if you go down this route then you need ADE as well... so there's 2 programs to get the book to your device. Add in Sigil if you need to format anything and you've got three.
Unfortunately that is the nature of the beast when it comes to DRM protected ePUB ebooks. Requiring ADE to be installed is just one extra step one needs to go through to get the ebook to the ereader and even Calibre cannot help you at that point.

Once the ePUB proper is on your PC's hard drive, you either remove the DRM and transfer via Calibre or go straight to Calibre to transfer the DRM infested ebook to your ereader.

There is no guarantee that the book is going to display well though....

Yep, so three it would be, if you need to fix up sloppy formatting on a purchased but DRM liberated ePUB ebook.

Kobo is just one of those ereaders caught in that process.

Just sometimes one wonders if the "walled garden" Amazon approach is the right way. Download direct to the Kindle and read. But that comes at the expense of any flexibility.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:10 AM   #52
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
My post was more directed at the 'life isn't easy' comment, which is a complete load of crap when it comes to ereaders.
You are right. Life is easy. I can see clearly now. Thank you.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #53
digital_steve
Muppet

Quote:
Unfortunately that is the nature of the beast when it comes to DRM protected ePUB ebooks. Requiring ADE to be installed is just one extra step one needs to go through to get the ebook to the ereader and even Calibre cannot help you at that point.

Once the ePUB proper is on your PC's hard drive, you either remove the DRM and transfer via Calibre or go straight to Calibre to transfer the DRM infested ebook to your ereader.

There is no guarantee that the book is going to display well though....

Yep, so three it would be, if you need to fix up sloppy formatting on a purchased but DRM liberated ePUB ebook.

Kobo is just one of those ereaders caught in that process.

Just sometimes one wonders if the "walled garden" Amazon approach is the right way. Download direct to the Kindle and read. But that comes at the expense of any flexibility.
Top post, really. Sums up the whole situation well.
Mind you, i'm surprised how we got here from widening margins!
I can only say what i'd be happy with; that's the ability for the KOBO firmware to adjust margins to fit the whole screen. I already use Calibre and DRM strip, but i don't convert anything anymore as the results i had doing really basic converting couldn't get any of the books looking uniform and had the occasional odd result. I would love to convert more and have the covers i like for books, instead of the crap that ADE puts in!
To me the ability to use the whole screen would top off the KOBO nicely; it does the other stuff adequately... just not as fast as the competition.
I also agree with the walled garden approach as well, which is why i'll probably end up sticking with KOBO (and i prefer small business!).

Zoran -
Old 09-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #54
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
From Kobo (via Facebook): The eReaders Bill of Rights

OOPS I meant to do this as its own thread--ignore it here and I will post it that way.

Last edited by taming; 09-20-2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Wrong place
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #55
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
The last timeline given by the KOBO staff was "in a month or so" and that was a month or so ago. Are any of the KOBO staff able to give us another time estimate?

P.S. I never did upgrade to 1.4 as, except for the slow startup, I have been quite satisfied with the performance of the kobo. If the new update includes some increased speed then I am very interested in that.
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #56
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronrus View Post
P.S. I never did upgrade to 1.4 as, except for the slow startup, I have been quite satisfied with the performance of the kobo. If the new update includes some increased speed then I am very interested in that.
It was battery handling that was making people upgrade. I'm too
happy with the speed. My bet is that go-to-page tops all wishes.
I thought I would miss cover page, but I don't.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:05 AM   #57
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Go-to-page has suddenly become very important to me as I'm replacing my Kobo and I'm 200+ pages into a 700+ page book. Don't want to press that button two hundred times to get there!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:35 AM   #58
masona8
Enthusiast
masona8 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, Kindle DX graphite, Kindle 3
Arrow Go to a particular page

The ability to go to a particular page would be very helpful. Especially in those books that are used as reference material

If you have a book of around 500 pages and want to go to a particular part - what can you do at present but scroll at a tad under 3 seconds a page
masona8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #59
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Go-to-page has suddenly become very important to me as I'm replacing my Kobo and I'm 200+ pages into a 700+ page book.
Does your book have a Table Of Contents? That will get you to the proper chapter. You will still have to flip a few pages but that should still save you some time (& frustration).
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:49 PM   #60
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzomys View Post
Does your book have a Table Of Contents? That will get you to the proper chapter. You will still have to flip a few pages but that should still save you some time (& frustration).
God I hope so!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote