Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sunrise

Notices

Old 12-27-2004, 11:52 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
News on Sunrise 0.40 pre2

Laurens informed us that the new Sunrise 0.40 pre2 allows you to modify the way how downloaded documents are cached:

# Default: Use the cached page/image if the Cache-Control or Expires header indicates that it hasn't expired yet. Otherwise, check with the web server if the cached copy is up-to-date using a Conditional GET request (see below).
# Revalidate: Always check with the web server is the cached copy is up-to-date using a Conditional GET request. This is akin to Reloading/Refreshing in the web browser.
# Disable: Do not use the cache at all.

Sunrise 0.40 pre2 also contains some important bug fixes allowing you to run it on Windows 9x machines again.

You can download the latest Sunrise by clicking here, or visit here first to see a list of all changes for 0.40 pre2.

Sunrise is the only desktop component I know that respects Conditional GET requests, which can not only free up server resources but also reduces overall bandwidth consumption for the user. So what is a Considitional GET? The people who invented HTTP decided that a web client such as Internet Explorer or Sunrise should be able to ask a web server via a conditional GET if a web document has changed since the last time it looked at it. If nothing has changed, the server returns a simple 304 respond code which means as much as "Not Modified" and tells the client that it doesn't have to redownload the document.

Let's hope that other downloaders like iSiloX will support this feature as well in future!

Last edited by Alexander; 12-27-2004 at 12:06 PM. Reason: provided download link and more info
Old 12-27-2004, 11:55 AM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Exclamation

Wow, Alexander, that was fast! The actual 0.40 pre2 release is now available.
Advert
Old 12-27-2004, 12:00 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Oups, I'll make sure to give you some more time for your blog postings next time

Cheers!
Old 12-27-2004, 06:39 PM   #4
mercedes
Apple and Sony zealot
mercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it is

Device: TH55
Looks like the BBC SDL is broken. Yesterday it was fine, I installed 4.0b2 today and the BBC is the only one not working besides NYT Tech and Circuits Text SDL. Most likely something changed in the BBC xml.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:59 PM   #5
strat
strat began at the beginning.

Still having a problem

Hi Laurens,

I was having problems with Sunrise crashing both at work and at home. I tried .40pre2 and am still having the same problem. I can open Sunrise but the minute I load a list of sites or try and add a new one it crashes. I did the regedit you suggested and even uninstalled and reinstalled Java but am getting the same result.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to get things going again. I really miss using Sunrise but I can still use JPluck for now.

Dave
Advert
Old 12-28-2004, 04:08 AM   #6
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedes
Looks like the BBC SDL is broken. Yesterday it was fine, I installed 4.0b2 today and the BBC is the only one not working besides NYT Tech and Circuits Text SDL. Most likely something changed in the BBC xml.
The regular BBC PDA site works fine for me. The printable versions of their articles are unavailable at the moment, the server doesn't respond.

I haven't looked at the NYT Text editions in a long while.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:14 AM   #7
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat
I was having problems with Sunrise crashing both at work and at home. I tried .40pre2 and am still having the same problem. I can open Sunrise but the minute I load a list of sites or try and add a new one it crashes. I did the regedit you suggested and even uninstalled and reinstalled Java but am getting the same result.
Thanks for trying it out, Dave. Sorry it's still not working for you.

You could try running Sunrise through this executable JAR: desktop.jar (1kb). This way you can watch the output on the console for any clues as to what might be going wrong. Simply copy the JAR to the Sunrise installation directory.

Open a command prompt, change to the Sunrise directory and type

Code:
java -jar desktop.jar
Now try to crash Sunrise and watch the console output. Let me know what it says.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:46 AM   #8
tckober73
tckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it is

Device: PalmOne TungstenE / T5
Downloaded 0.40 pre2 and installed it as usually...
After clicking on the icon the sunrise logo appears for a second, but the program doesn't start. If I click on the icon again, the sunrise logo appears and freezes.
I just can't get it to start up..
0.40 pre1 worked fine - running on windows xp sp2.
Any ideas?
Old 12-28-2004, 11:07 AM   #9
Laurens
Jah Blessed

tckober73, try to run the desktop.jar as I explained in my previous posting. Let me know what it says.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:16 AM   #10
tckober73
tckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it istckober73 knows what time it is

If I download the file and extract it, it creates a folder called Meta-Inf, with a file named Manifest.MF.
Can you give some easy instructions for not-that-computer-geeks-have-no-idea-whats-going-on-guys like me?
Thanks
Old 12-28-2004, 11:20 AM   #11
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Don't extract the JAR. Just put it (unextracted) in the Sunrise installation directory.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:29 AM   #12
tckober73

"Open a command prompt, change to the Sunrise directory and type.."
What program do I use to open a command prompt?

Sorry to be pain in the #$&&*%
Old 12-28-2004, 11:46 AM   #13
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Think of it as helping Laurens to write his user manual!
Maybe I can help with this one...
From the main start menu, try Start/Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt.
(Or Start/Run and enter "cmd", without the quotes of course.)

Then you can get to the right directory by using "dir /w" to see the contents of the directory, and "cd whateverTheDirNameIs" to get to the directory, either all at once or one level at a time.

I don't exactly understand all this myself, but maybe that still helps you out...
Old 12-28-2004, 11:53 AM   #14
Laurens
Jah Blessed

That's OK. Hopefully, these instructions will help you out:
  1. Click on the Start button
  2. Select "Run..."
  3. Type "cmd", this opens the prompt.
  4. On the prompt type the following two lines:
    Code:
    cd \Program Files\Sunrise
    java -jar desktop.jar

You should now see log messages in the console, which might give me some hints as to what is going wrong.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:53 AM   #15
bsquare
bsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it isbsquare knows what time it is

Thanks again for the great work on this, Laurens. However, it looks like I am still getting the occasional hang on refreshes with the Pre2, where the scheduled updates don't "kick off" because something is sitting in the process window at 100%. Once I manually remove it and then kick off an update manually, all the missed scheduled updates kick off themselves. Very similar to what we were seeing with the Pre1.

Let me know if there is any logging or tracing that would be helpful. Otherwise I'm just going to bounce back to 3.6d.