Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
wcornwell
wcornwell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Syncing books

I like to highlight the Calibre Companion books I have on my Kindle Fire, but it doesn't seem like that formatting syncs with Calibre on my computer. That is to say, Calibre doesn't recognize that the file has changed on my Kindle and therefore doesn't upload the modified file from my Kindle. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
wcornwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Highlighting does not change a book. Annotations data is always saved to a reader-specific database or companion file of some sort.

On the Kindle apps/devices this is .mbp1 and .azw3r/.azw3f files, often in a .sdr subdirectry.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #3
Jossie77
Jossie77 began at the beginning.

Device: dell venue 8
I had a question about syncing. I'm sorry if this has been asked...

I just purchased CC and I use Aldiko as my reader. I was wondering about the sync process... if I sync books into the CC I can remove them via CC as long as I don't delete them from that list in my tablet. Unfortunately once I import them into Aldiko I can't use Calibre and CC to remove them from Alkiko. Is there a way to do this and if not, is there another reader that would allow CC and Calibre to remove the books?

I hope I made sense... I've been staring at the 'puter too long.
Jossie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think so... that info is stored in the Aldiko database. CC merely stores the ebook files, and tells ereader apps to open the ebook. The ereader app then remembers the location of the book for the future.

tl;dr
If you want Aldiko to forget about a book, you must directly tell Aldiko to forget it.
Deleting the book from memory would probably cause the app to forget it too, since it cannot find it anymore.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:34 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jossie77 View Post
I had a question about syncing. I'm sorry if this has been asked...

I just purchased CC and I use Aldiko as my reader. I was wondering about the sync process... if I sync books into the CC I can remove them via CC as long as I don't delete them from that list in my tablet. Unfortunately once I import them into Aldiko I can't use Calibre and CC to remove them from Alkiko. Is there a way to do this and if not, is there another reader that would allow CC and Calibre to remove the books?

I hope I made sense... I've been staring at the 'puter too long.
Aldiko is one of the few reader apps that copies books into its private area when they are imported. It also maintains its own database as eschwartz said. When using aldiko, CC is reduced to being more-or-less a transport. You lose all of CC's library management features. The same thing is true for Kindle for Android and (I think) the Kobo reader app.

There are several reader apps that work well with CC, such as moon+, fbreader, mantano, and cool reader. All are have free versions. Several have pay-for 'pro' versions.

There is a relatively recent thread in the android forum about reading apps: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=238961
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2014, 02:16 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Aldiko is one of the few reader apps that copies books into its private area when they are imported. It also maintains its own database as eschwartz said. When using aldiko, CC is reduced to being more-or-less a transport. You lose all of CC's library management features. The same thing is true for Kindle for Android and (I think) the Kobo reader app.
Even worse than I thought!!!

Tags
highlighting, sync, synch