Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Recommended books. . .

So, Kobo has just given me my first list of recommended books. I'm not sure what data set they were using, but the recommendations are, for the most part, hilariously wrong. A few are a little insulting. . .

While I would prefer Kobo not to keep track of what I read and certainly not record every click I make on their website (just seems creepy), I think I can live with it. That is provided, of course, that it is actually useful. Aside from the poor results so far, I have a couple of issues with the recommended list.

First issue: Yesterday I marked two of the books as 'already read', since I have read them (and own the hard-copies), but they were back on the list today.

More important issue: There is a book on the list that is in a genre that I like (it is in fact a book I want to read) but the version listed is in German. If I mark it as 'not interested' will it skew future recommendations regarding the genre and author?
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I find that since I haven't bought a ton of books from Kobo yet (I've kind of exhausted the library's books so I'm starting to buy more now) the recommended reads aren't very good, some are books in Genre's that I have never bought or previewed (Harlequin ). I think they might be planning some kind of quiz but I really don't know.

I also had a book that was in a different language, didn't recognize it so I just said not interested.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
My most recent set of recommendations was waaaay off base - normally they are more spot on. Wonder what they changed?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:27 AM   #4
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
the same for me some recommandations made me cry out of laugh. To be honest, it doesn't bother me, just made me laugh... But at other times, perhaps would I be angry at them...
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:44 AM   #5
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF&F Reader View Post
More important issue: There is a book on the list that is in a genre that I like (it is in fact a book I want to read) but the version listed is in German. If I mark it as 'not interested' will it skew future recommendations regarding the genre and author?
Ha ha I think Kobo is telling you it is time to stretch your mind and learn to read in German! I'm surprised that I don't have any German books on my recommended list as quite a few of the searches I have done have only returned German books due to geo restrictions for the English version in Australia.

Most of my recommendations have been quite good. Infact probably about three quarters are books that I have already read. There are several others that I am now interested in and just a few that have made me wonder how they came up with that suggestion!

I hope the recommendation sections continues to improve. I would be interested if someone from Kobo could explain how the recommendations are calculated? Is it based on prior purchases, searches or what?
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Many of my recommendations were weight-loss related - and I don't recall ever even looking at those kinds of books in Kobo. How did they know and should I be insulted?
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
I have those Girl with the Dragon tattoo books in my list EVERY SINGLE TIME even if I mark that I've read them. (which I have.... 3 years ago... why did it become so popular? The story was like watching paint dry)
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
I have found that mine has improved over the last few days (prior to that it was as people above say)

I have bought a couple of books by Richard Laymon and got a few books of Dickens for free (plus other random books)
my recommendations currently show about 5 Richard Laymon books and about 3 classics, the others look like horror books but haven't looked to closely at them yet
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
I would like it to take the rating into account, seeing as how they integrated that other book rating website.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I prefer Shortlist to Recommended. Even with it set to Recommended, my crap eyes can barely make out which books are listed based on the tiny, dark covers for each one.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latch View Post
I prefer Shortlist to Recommended. Even with it set to Recommended, my crap eyes can barely make out which books are listed based on the tiny, dark covers for each one.
Are you asking them to make the recommendations on the home page larger? didn't think so...

my first set of recommendations were about 50% right. Some of the wrong ones were hilariously so. But, I do see improvement and the current list is all books that I may get round to in time.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
They got about half right. Most are recommendations for Magic Tree House books The rest are historical fiction (which are correct) and one is for a mobile reference to holiday and celebration observances? Don't know where that last one came from
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #13
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
I haven't synced my kobo since the Recommended list first appeared so this is all just on the website. I think I will leave the German book on my list for now. Actually, I've been meaning to learn German since my College days. . .

I did not have a recommended list until two days ago. Not sure why. I do recall taking the preferences survey. . . twice. I have bought quite a few books from them as well.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #14
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
My recommendations the last time I synced were all Magic Kitten/Magic Pony/Warrior Cats books. I guess I've been buying too many books for the girls lately.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:06 AM   #15
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I got some Janet Evanovich books for my Wife when she was using my ereader, so now I get loads of recommendations for that author (among other girly type authors).

Since then I've got sick of my wife nicking my KT and I bought her one for Xmas, but I still get recommendations for girly books!
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote