Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Is This Scanner Any Good?

A friend of mine recently showed me this scanner and said it was great for book scanning.
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-DS-600...=2TVECW5BU4FWS
I figured before I bought it Id ask. Anyone know anything about it?
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
First of all, you'll have to chop down the book spines. And doing so will always (and I mean ALWAYS!) leave rough edges, which in turn will stick to the sensor and internal mechanics. It will ruin the book. If you try to put Humpty Dumpty back together again with epoxy resin and band aids whatever... it just won't be same.

If you already have a digital camera (8 MP will suffice), visit diybookscanner.org for some ideas. Heck, for that money you could probably get two second hand 10 MP cameras, wall charger and all.

I have a rather cheap flatbed scanner and it does the job well, especially for OCR-ing. So far I've scanned over 20 college books from my personal collection, ~300 pages each and it still has 14 months or so left of warranty in case it breaks down or something. Can't imagine how you'll get the covers to fit (and curl) through one of those "portable" scanners.

Why do you need portability anyway? Can't get any more portable than a digital camera. Perhaps even your mobile phone, at least for some books. That is, if it has at least a 3.0 MP sensor.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:53 AM   #3
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I use a different model portable scanner, a VuPoint Magic Wand. (Note, there is a newer model out, with Bluetooth.)

You do need to have books with a decent margin, minimum 1/2", better is 5/8" or more. If you do have the requisite margin, books can be scanned without cutting them. It will help if the book is not overly thick.

It helps to use a piece of black card stock under the page you are scanning, and it is also a good idea to use a stack of magazines or catalogs to support the card stock so you get a smooth roll off the page. This is going to make scanning a bit slower than using a flatbed scanner. The plus to the portable scanner is that I can scan books on my coffee table while watching TV. I get good scans that OCR nicely with my little wand scanner. I think the VuPoint is cheaper as well. I found mine on eBay for $54 shipped.

A downside is that the VuPoint is not that great for illustrations. It's passable, but will introduce some scan lines. At any rate, my VuPoint is serving my modest needs well. And most of the books I am scanning do have the needed margins. Some, of course, I will have to cut if I wish to scan. Others, if they are valuable, I'll use a camera on. Anyway, a little portable scanner can work, it's all in what kind of stuff you need to scan and what your needs are.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
First of all, you'll have to chop down the book spines. And doing so will always (and I mean ALWAYS!) leave rough edges, which in turn will stick to the sensor and internal mechanics.
Not true. I use this cutting device and it leaves very clean cuttings. It is not cheap, but I also use this for bookbinding. The cuttings are very scharp and not rough.
I have never had one page stuck in internal mechanics of a sheetfeeder.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
5 KG ? That kinda blows the portability advantage out of the water. The price probably doesn't justify it either.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:30 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Who is talking about portability here? I have this thing at home and I prepare the books there. Then I take the sheets with me to my work to have them scanned.
BTW, I bought it some 4 years ago and it was half the price it is now. The current price is high.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
First of all, you'll have to chop down the book spines. And doing so will always (and I mean ALWAYS!) leave rough edges, which in turn will stick to the sensor and internal mechanics. It will ruin the book. If you try to put Humpty Dumpty back together again with epoxy resin and band aids whatever... it just won't be same.
You know I never thought of that? Thanks for reminding me.

Quote:
If you already have a digital camera (8 MP will suffice), visit diybookscanner.org for some ideas. Heck, for that money you could probably get two second hand 10 MP cameras, wall charger and all.
I cant help but think using a camera will take so much more time and energy than just scanning the papers but Ill check it out.

Quote:
I have a rather cheap flatbed scanner and it does the job well, especially for OCR-ing. So far I've scanned over 20 college books from my personal collection, ~300 pages each and it still has 14 months or so left of warranty in case it breaks down or something. Can't imagine how you'll get the covers to fit (and curl) through one of those "portable" scanners.
I have a flatbed myself but it isnt in the same state with me.

Quote:
Why do you need portability anyway? Can't get any more portable than a digital camera. Perhaps even your mobile phone, at least for some books. That is, if it has at least a 3.0 MP sensor.
I do but I dont. Since I dont have my scanner and Im in another state portability would be nice. However I never put much thought into it. I doubt Im doing any scanning anytime soon. I was just sitting down talking with a friend and he broke this out so I figured Id ask.
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote