Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Soribook: First eReader eInk device now in beta testing!

The Soribook B60 is an ebook reader under development by a South Korean company. It's based on the 6" Vizplex screen, has an ARM CPU, and runs on Windows CE (instead of Linux). The B60 also has a touchscreen. You can find more information in our Wiki, or from Soribook.

One early adopter has been trying various reader software and currently has both eReader and Mobipocket running on it. The last 2 pictures are screenshots showing Mobipocket, and the first 3 are photographs showing eReader.

You can find his impressions on his blog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2076.JPG
Views:	1353
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	15714   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.JPG
Views:	1460
Size:	390.1 KB
ID:	15715   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.JPG
Views:	1452
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	15716  
Attached Images

Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The Soribook B60 is an ebook reader under development by a South Korean company.

One early adopter has been trying various reader software and currently has both eReader and Mobipocket running on it. The last 2 pictures are screenshots showing Mobipocket, and the first 3 are photographs showing eReader.

You can find his impressions on his blog.
That blog is all greek to me.
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesey View Post
That blog is all greek to me.
Really??? It's all Korean to me!!!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
Luigino
Groupie
Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nothing
well...looks like nice that soribook but that blog doesn't have english version?....
Luigino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
Its writing that is like little mazes. I got lost in one...
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I suppose the reason it can have both eReader and Mobipocket is because it's WinCE....
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
This is actually pretty cool. I have to admit that I always loved the eReader program and have missed it a bit since I switched over to the e-ink side of things.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
This is actually pretty cool. I have to admit that I always loved the eReader program and have missed it a bit since I switched over to the e-ink side of things.
Most commercial eReader format eBooks will look awful on a 6" eink screen. The format is created for a tiny palm sized low res 4" screen. So not having eReader is not a problem. I want proper paragraph indents and no extra line spaces between every paragraph.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #9
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Most commercial eReader format eBooks will look awful on a 6" eink screen.
I don't know. I've seen eReader books on a PC screen and they looked fine to me.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
With an extra Dll file that allow windows Mobile apps to run on WinCE (Windows Mobile is based on WinCE), µBook Reader is compatible too, and will adapt itseft perfectly to the 800x600 resolution (I used it on a 800x480 5'' WinCE Nexio Tablet).

Adobe Reader for Pocket PC 1.0 works on WinCE too (not the 2.0 version though) and will use the 800x600 resolution. Slovoed Dictionnary works too.

Too bad Windows Mobile haven't been chosen over WinCe, even if the license cost more. Windows Mobile is much more user friendly and a lots of great ebook apps exists for it, like tomeRaider, Repligo, various Dictionnary, etc. Only a few of them will works on WinCE. Some will works but only use the standard 320x240 WinMobile Resolution.

Still, if the actual hardware is fine, it should be a nice device open to many formats
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #11
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Most commercial eReader format eBooks will look awful on a 6" eink screen. The format is created for a tiny palm sized low res 4" screen. So not having eReader is not a problem. I want proper paragraph indents and no extra line spaces between every paragraph.
I thought I read that this was a function of the software rendering, not the format, and could vary depending on the situation (desktop vs. handheld, I guess). When I went looking, I found the comment was originally posted in response to one of your previous comments on the same issue. Rather than repeat the same thing, and try to recreate the image, I'll just point to the previous post.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #12
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I haven't read any recent reviews of the product, but people who got the product in spring (it's been delayed multiple times) gave it horrible reviews. Very slow page turns, bugs, products that were DOA..
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:33 AM   #13
Ebook lover
NUUT, Cybook Device
Ebook lover began at the beginning.

Device: O2
I would want a WinCE eBook device because it can support many different formats, but the device is too ugly for me to get interested.
Ebook lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #14
Fourl29
Connoisseur
Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just happened to cross paths with this thread, and I 'd like to comment, how far we've come with eink readers (albeit how very slowly and frustratingly we've got there) from the aptly titled soribook to the various vapourware, bankrupt and almost bankrupt manufacturers, bugs galore, the stupidity of not including a front light to begin with, poor contrasts, poor dpi, abysmally bad hardware... to...

finally, some devices and ecosystems that despite their flaws are actually usable.

For every avid reader, it's good to see a technology with such growing pains finally starting to come to its own.

Since the tablet tsunami didn't manage to kill off eink, better things are ahead, and here's hoping that manufacturers step up their game and offer quality products, well built and with attention to detail, and with bug free, stable and intuitive software. And that they take their heads out of the behind and realize that eink readers are not simply a niche; and a great product, even if it has to be more expensive than the usual price frame (which is already the cheapest around compared to tablets and mobile phones) will be rewarded by consumers.

Last edited by Fourl29; 04-27-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Fourl29 is offline   Reply With Quote