Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
DrDeb
DrDeb began at the beginning.

Device: none
sigil validation problem

Hi
I hope you can explain in layman's terms what I need to do. I moved my MS Word into Notepad to create an html file with all the correct tags (or so I thought). I put that into Sigil and I end up with a list of basically the same error on 18 lines. The fact that it is 18 makes me think it is an image that I used for a self-test at the start of my book. The image is "yes/no" for people to answer 18 questions. Anyway, here is one example of the error:

oebps/toc.ncx on line 19

This <content> element's "src" attribute value is "text/[name of book file]#heading_id_2", but an element with an ID the fragment is referring to does not exist in that file.

If I go to the content.opf file and look at line 19, here is what it is:

<item href="Text/Signs%20Your%20Marriage%20Needs%20Help_0003.xhtml" id="Signs_Your_Marriage_Needs_Help_0003.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />

HELP!! Any advice would be appreciated as I'm supposed to be uploading this e-book TOMORROW as a free gift to listeners when I will be a guest on radio!! Thank you so much. - Deb
DrDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Just a shot in the dark. Everything has to match and the HTML spaces could cause a problem. You might try changing the name of the file so it is more like the id with underlines instead of spaces. Then use search and replace to find all the old names and change them to the new name. Also case counts, so if it does match for case it will fail as well.

If you get desperate, you can save out of Word as filtered HTML and take it into Sigil to fix it up. There will be a large amount of junk which should be gotten rid of, but you might be able to create something useable in the limited time you have. If you make your chapter names headings (h1, h2...), then you can use Sigil's generate TOC to generate an epub index. Note this is not the same as for Kindle. But I understand you can take it into Calibre to generate a valid Kindle file.

After you get done with all this, your next opus can be "How to Save your Sanity while creating E Books." (grin)
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
oebps/toc.ncx on line 19

This <content> element's "src" attribute value is "text/[name of book file]#heading_id_2", but an element with an ID the fragment is referring to does not exist in that file.

If I go to the content.opf file and look at line 19, here is what it is:
Why would you look near line 19 of the content.opf file when the error is telling you it's on or near line 19 of the toc.ncx file?

The src for one of your toc navpoints is likely looking for an element/anchor with the id of "heading_id_2" in the "text/[name of book file]" file and it doesn't seem to exist.

Either make sure an element with the id of "heading_id_2" exists in the target file or remove the extraneous url fragment (#heading_id_2) from the src attribute of the <content> tag for the navpoint entr(y|ies) in your NCX file.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-14-2012 at 07:12 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
DrDeb
DrDeb began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi
MrMikel - thank you! Your note of encouragement - ie, the "new" book title - I will post to my wall for future moments when I'm pulling my hair out!

Now, DiapDealer: YOU DID IT!! YES!!! Thank you!!! I don't know why Sigil added these heading id's which don't have any file to go with them, but that is the answer. Whew. As to why I would look in the content file: Because I was doing my "homework," ie, trying to figure out what OTHER people were told to do so I wouldn't have to bother everyone on this list! But, since I don't know what I'm doing (luckily I AM good at saving marriages ;-) I looked in an unrelated and unnecessary file. There you go! People like me should not go near a computer, right?
Thank you again,
Deb
DrDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
No problem.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
oebps, sigil, toc.ncx, validation error