Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Exportable E-book catalog

Is there a way to export a list of your Calibre ebooks into word or excel to create a list of ebooks that you own by title and author?

I find myself redownloading ebooks all the time when I am at my computer w/o Calibre and would love to have a list that I can consult.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Okay, I cannot answer directly, but I know that calibre is (with some minor editing) portable and it doesn't actually require the books to be present in order to maintain a database. So... what does that mean?

I think it should be completely possible for you to create a copy of your library, install calibre, delete all of the books in the library. In that manner you effectively have a fully working copy of calibre and your library database on this other computer.

Try these links: Moving Ebooks... and Calibre Portable.

Last edited by Sabardeyn; 06-05-2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Added links.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In a terminal run

calibredb list > books.txt

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 06-05-2009 at 10:02 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you. Now what is a terminal run?
Old 06-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
Now what is a terminal run?
Calibre has "command line" utilities as well as its GUI interface that you are familiar with. For how to open a command window (a terminal), see Command Prompt Vista/XP/Mac. The command kovidgoyal gave you isn't quite right (list, not --list). What I actually did under Windows XP is:
Code:
cd C:\Documents and Settings\alan\My Documents\My eBooks\Calibre
calibredb list > books.txt
Note that the calibredb command will run from anywhere, but the "cd" command put me in the directory I wanted (which will be different in your case, just copy it from the Adress bar of a standard file window and paste it after typing cd in a command window).

The list of ebooks will then be in books.txt.

Last edited by wallcraft; 06-05-2009 at 09:58 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
toomanybooks
Addict

I am so not computer literate. When I run the full line cd.....books.txt, the terminal run won't work. When I run just calibredb list > books.txt, a black screen comes up and cycles through the titles, but I can't find the actual books.txt file after the black screen disappears. I tried searching for *.txt files and it didn't come up.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:54 AM   #7
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Toomanybooks,

Try using "cd C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents". You will need to change the <username> to whatever name you are using on that computer. If you don't have to sign onto that computer, you can find out the name by looking at the top of the Start Menu. Oh, don't use the brackets < > they are just a way to show that you need to fill in that part.

With that command you are setting the path to save the book list into the My Documents folder. So after typing the second command that is where the book list should be found.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Toomanybooks,

You need to first "run" the program "cmd", which will bring up a window. Then you use that window to type in the other commands people are telling you.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
hannah
Zealot
hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Bebook mini
Smile

I finally understood how to run a command line and now I have a beautiful list with all my books

Now I have to try and understand the other command line features from calibre

Last edited by hannah; 06-07-2009 at 11:05 AM. Reason: too many happy smiley faces ;-)
hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
toomanybooks
Addict

I have made a list of my books. Thank you to everyone for all of your help.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:04 PM   #11
CribQuilter
Enthusiast
CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Ok I did this in March and got a pretty little list just great. I even wrote down how to do this on that list. Now that I have added more books to it I decided to do it again and now I am getting this terrible error code. I can see the file listed on my desktop, but it is blank. Can someone give me a clue as to what is going on?

C:\Users\xds2sw>calibredb list>books.txt
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "cli.py", line 553, in <module>
File "cli.py", line 550, in main
File "cli.py", line 228, in command_list
File "cli.py", line 125, in do_list
File "calibre\library\database2.pyo", line 1350, in get_data_as_dict
TypeError: %o format: a number is required, not unicode
CribQuilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's a strange error. Wait a couple of weeks for calibre 0.6 and try it with that and if it still doesn't work, let me know.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #13
CribQuilter
Enthusiast
CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thank you Kovidgoyal. I will wait. I am just glad to know I was not doing something wrong.
CribQuilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:26 AM   #14
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Works great. Is there any way of sorting it in title or author order instead of id order? I tried copying it into exel, but it didn't copy into columns.

peaceridge
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:15 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibredb list --help