Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-30-2006, 06:33 AM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Fonts that work well on the Iliad?

Hi!

i've been having some trouble recently with font-display in PDf files. Many fonts look quite ugly on the Iliad, letters are too close together and stuff like that.

I know some fonts that work quite well, Berling Antiqua is the best of those in my opinion. Times New Roman looks really bad in my opinion though. Arial is OK most of the time but not optimal.

what are your experiences?
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:43 AM   #2
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
I use LaTeX to create my documents for iLiad.
I use the bookman font package most of the time. In general I prefer serif fonst for reading long documents.
When you use Word or OO: Bookman Antiqua looks similar to Bookman.

[Edit] threads @ Sony Reader section
Do you prefer the Reader's serif or its sans serif font? (poll)
Open Office PDF Font Test Poll

Last edited by yokos; 11-30-2006 at 06:59 AM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2006, 07:13 AM   #3
raevyn1
Connoisseur
raevyn1 doesn't litterraevyn1 doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony Reader, Treo 755p, Palm T|X
Palatino Linotype appears crisp and professional.
raevyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:16 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Be sure to embed the fonts in the PDF file. Otherwise they will most definately look ugly.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:17 PM   #5
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
I use Bembo fonts, the same ones that the PDF's at PDF planet are made with.
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2006, 03:11 PM   #6
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Mr preference is for Verdana at size 14.5.
I just wish it had real italics instead of just a slanting font.

I created a 5 page PDF document containing different fonts and sizes and loaded it into the iLiad. This gave me a clearer idea of what different fonts and sizes look like on the device and helped in choosing my favourite.

Vranghel -- I also like Bembo but find it rather small -- what size do you use?
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:55 PM   #7
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I usually use 11 or 12 as fontsize...I don't like large fonts because they make my books even longer...:-)
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:30 PM   #8
vranghel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker
Mr preference is for Verdana at size 14.5.
I just wish it had real italics instead of just a slanting font.

I created a 5 page PDF document containing different fonts and sizes and loaded it into the iLiad. This gave me a clearer idea of what different fonts and sizes look like on the device and helped in choosing my favourite.

Vranghel -- I also like Bembo but find it rather small -- what size do you use?
When I read the book, I set it at 11. For my mom's books I set it at 12 pt.

IMO 14 is a very large font, that makes the book reeeally long
Old 11-30-2006, 09:04 PM   #9
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
And Verdana 14 is much larger than say Arial or Paletino 14. I need the larger font because of my visual impairment. This is the reason I changed to e-books because I had difficulty in reading paper books. I don't care about the book being longer or larger cos I just love to read. And the iLiad makes it so easy for me.

I might try size 18 in Bembo. I have tried size 16 but found it wasn't dark enough. A lot of people like Georgia but it is too cramped for me - not enough space between the letters.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:15 AM   #10
vranghel
Addict

It's great that the iLiad allows people to read however they want. The flexibility that you can find in the iLiad is nowehre to be found on paper books. People can choose the font they like, the text size they feel comfortable with and the formatting they enjoy aswell!